BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Just now, JoeH said:

Harvey Elliott had made his PL debut, for Ash it's only the Championship, so would have to imagine straight away that's one of the key differences between this situation and the one between Fulham and Liverpool. Clubs will be looking to agree something now. Avoids the cost of a lengthy court situation for both sides, Spurs get their man and don't worry about a Utd/Chelsea stepping in next year, Rovers know where they stand and have a sell on fee to hopefully make more out of him in the future.

Surely it is to our advantage if the likes of City, United and Chelsea show signs of wanting to step in thereby generating a bidding war. I can't see any reason why we would agree to any deal now. 

1 minute ago, J*B said:

The Spurs contract that Phillips is being offered is enough to set his family up for life and there’s a bit of pressure on him to do that. Plus, I assume he believes he’s good enough to break through at any club. 

I'm led to believe the opposite, that Phillips himself would be happy to sign a deal here on around £10k p.w.

Why Rovers don't just get on with it and get it done I've no idea. From the Club's point of view it's the easiest decision they will ever have to make.

• Like 7

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm led to believe the opposite, that Phillips himself would be happy to sign a deal here on around £10k p.w.

Why Rovers don't just get on with it and get it done I've no idea. From the Club's point of view it's the easiest decision they will ever have to make.

He’ll be on much more than 10K p/w at Spurs. And putting him on 10K here - which we wouldn’t do - would cause more problems than it’s worth with the rest of the squad.

The reality is you can’t hold people back. Spurs are a bigger club, have more opportunities, more finance. We cannot compete on any level with them and in the long run, showing young kids that they can sign for Rovers and be allowed a move  to Spurs is helpful. 

Just now, J*B said:

showing young kids that they can sign for Rovers and be allowed a move  to Spurs is helpful. 

Bang on. Look at Jake Batty who's probably the next one to face this big dilemma, you don't want these talented young ones to feel trapped. There's got to be an exit door.

Think the Phillips situation is actually in our hands, Spurs want to get get in ahead of other clubs so will have to offer a decent amount above expected tribunal fee and wouldn't shock me if Spurs left him here for the rest of the season on loan in which case the player still gets the same amount of games he would get if he signed up with us this season anyway.

Honestly wouldn’t want him around the place on loan if he is a spurs player, rather give the game time to Carter. Players who have been trained by a club and given a shot owe it to that club to atleast give a few years. If the lad moves hope he falls flat on his face 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, JHRover said:

If this manager isn't backed in the next fortnight given his fantastic start to life, scaled back wage bill and gaping holes in the squad then we've got serious problems.

I'm not interested in the slightest about the usual excuses of 'asking' about players, or lining deals up that then don't materialise.

The shortages are there for all to see - the manager wants and needs signings - excuses won't cut it. This guy isn't a dolloper who is going to sit here for 4 years and be mucked around every window.

The club are backing him the best they can it’s not the lack of trying it’s a very difficult market for clubs like us these days who haven’t had the parachute payments and tv revenue like the ones who have come Shen in recent years so we are having to kee the books balanced 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spankus Munky said:

I don't know in what world Lenihan & Nyambe are worth a combined £5.5m yet on frees they end up at Boro & Wigan. Honestly think £3m for the pair of them under long term contracts is pushing it.

Its obvious give what happened no one would pay money for Nyambe. Bizarre as he was a quality players for us, but he could only barely give himself away. Still don't get it. Must be something more to it than we can see.

Lenihan though I am sure we could have got quite a few million if he was on a contract .

13 minutes ago, J*B said:

He’ll be on much more than 10K p/w at Spurs. And putting him on 10K here - which we wouldn’t do - would cause more problems than it’s worth with the rest of the squad.

The reality is you can’t hold people back. Spurs are a bigger club, have more opportunities, more finance. We cannot compete on any level with them and in the long run, showing young kids that they can sign for Rovers and be allowed a move  to Spurs is helpful. 

You're not holding him back at 17. He's a baby, he'd be better served playing men's football once a week at a place he's familiar with than being buried in their U21s for a year before being loaned out to Exeter et al until he's 21.

Hopefully he's being well advised - he's thinking short term if he goes for the money now.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Where are you getting 10k p/w from? As far as I'm aware, I was the first person on here to mention that hypothetical figure for him, and I plucked it out of my arse.

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Bang on. Look at Jake Batty who's probably the next one to face this big dilemma, you don't want these talented young ones to feel trapped. There's got to be an exit door.

Trapped?!

He's a professional footballer (eventually) not a live-in maid.

The club that found you and nurtured you from what, 8 years old, deserves more respect than that.

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's not much. £40,000 per game he plays for us at Championship level. So every game counts. 10 apps and it's another 400k on top. But peanuts compared to what he's probably worth.

Well if he plays 30 games now to end of season that gets it up to £1.5M (£250k basic + 30 appearences)

To be honest I still think if give him first team football we have a chance of keeping him.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

That is correct. Go back just over a year and phrases like "waste of money" and "£7m spunked away" were all over this messageboard.

Which you are now saying is "correct"! See below:

32 minutes ago,  47er said: 

and they were all right on the evidence at the time. The change in Brereton over one season and a bit has been unprecedented in my time.

Correct, which is why it is unfair to blame people at the club for not tying him down to a contract then.

Edited by 47er

1 hour ago, yeti-dog said:

Perhaps, but also more than fair to describe him as 'bang average' I think.

Probably not that much between decent and bang average in the scheme of things (composure, passing ability, footbal nous etc... all play a part in deciding where players fit on that spectrum..)

Decent is akin to 'fairly good', not bang average, and I think the most accurate description of Lenihan by this summer would have been 'good' Championship defender.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Which you are now saying is "correct"! See below:

32 minutes ago,  47er said: 

and they were all right on the evidence at the time. The change in Brereton over one season and a bit has been unprecedented in my time.

Correct, which is why it is unfair to blame people at the club for not tying him down to a contract then.

You don't understand. We were saying that his reputation had fallen to a degree that the new contract that those arguing with the benefit of hindsight are saying should have been offered to him before the start of last season would have been met with a huge amount of criticism.

I find it sad that some of the comments on here are people are wishing ill of a 17 year old boy who could set up his family for life. He owes us absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, if we could all offer the same luxuries that he can with a move why shoudn't he do it? If we get 3m or so for an unproven youngster i would take no matter what he can do, you just don't know what can happen. Put a sale on clause and see what he can do. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well if he plays 30 games now to end of season that gets it up to £1.5M (£250k basic + 30 appearences)

To be honest I still think if give him first team football we have a chance of keeping him.

Especially if we get promoted. But I don't think that's likely. Especially if we lose BBD.

The club has to protect its assets, especially one that cost £7million.

SG hasn’t exactly ripped up any trees, and there was some moaning on here when he signed a new deal last season, but so what if anonymous folk on a message board grumbled about it? The club was perfectly right to get him signed up and the exact same thing should’ve gone on with BB in 2021.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

I’d assume news of Spurs sealing Phillips means personal terms are agreed and the small matter of how much they can get away with paying for him is the only hurdle. It’s a done deal, basically.

If he does leave, he’ll be straight into development squad and it’ll be a long slog to get out of that and into the first team. Eyes will be off him and I think he’ll cycle through his deal. He could end up doing well via L1 or Championship loans but would need to either smash a Premiership loan spell or leave to progress.

Can’t really argue against money and the various additional perks clubs of Spurs’ level can provide (accommodation for him and family, car, various other furnishings) if they really want a youth player. Agent will be looking to increase the base salary value of their player, which is roughly their job. It’s not ideal but it’s how everything works. Premier League is essentially its own Super League now. No downwards solidarity payments of any note and rampant opportunism on youth players that become profit centres in their own right.