BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's annoying that we have been desperate for a new centre half and it appears that the Hyam deal has been in the offing for some time. Stuck in an in tray somewhere in Pune perhaps?

I think the Van Hecke saga might have had more to do with it Tony.

1 minute ago, J*B said:

I’m not sure where you’ve got this from, but it sounds on the website as if we tried for him early and where told no. Then they came back to us last week and said he was now available. So we turned it around in maximum 5 working days. 

It was just my thought given how slow they have been in reacting in the past and what Broughton said about going after him in the summer.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's annoying that we have been desperate for a new centre half and it appears that the Hyam deal has been in the offing for some time. Stuck in an in tray somewhere in Pune perhaps?

They said he wasn't for sale in July, then last week said he was. Seems there are cash-flow problems at Cov and Robins wasn't given a choice on whether he was sold or not. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

It’s going to be very interesting to see how things pan out at centre back now. Players are arriving at the same time our injury crisis there seems to be easing.

For me the pecking order would currently look like this:

Hyam

Wharton

Ayala

Phillips

Carter

If Van Den Berg comes in on loan, I’d personally have him level pegging with Phillips, he’d start games where necessary but I’d use Phillips from the bench. Same if Van Hecke came in on loan (if he was a permanent signing he’d jump straight to the top). The parent clubs would obviously not be happy with this though. If we got both it would be madness really. I’m also working on the assumption Barnes is out for the season.

There are obviously injury and fitness concerns, but centre back looks like our area of most depth and quality, long long time since that’s been the case. For that reason I think a back 5 is preferable, there’s a lot of quality to keep happy there. Carter could well be off on loan again, and the Phillips situation could change depending on his contract situation.

I’m not sure about Van Den Berg or Carter as fullback cover. Whether we play in a 4 or a 5 our fullbacks are expected to do a lot of attacking and start pretty high up the pitch, in an emergency is one thing, but we do lack genuine backup for Brittain. Whatever happened to Pike? He was rated a year or 2 ago.

I'd argue that a fit Ayala tops that list.

Can't grumble that we haven't spent money and it's nice to see some much needed permanent signings (regardless of whether I rate them or not).

Hoping we add some physicality/pace - as unlikely as that looks.  

I'd be wanting to loan out Dolan and Vale if poss and replace with better. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, J*B said:

I’m not sure where you’ve got this from, but it sounds on the website as if we tried for him early and where told no. Then they came back to us last week and said he was now available. So we turned it around in maximum 5 working days. 

This seems legit as it looks like Caulker was an alternative for us, but got sent back to Turkey when our first option became available. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Looking at hirsts goals from last year, a lot of identical ones where wingers went down the line and either cut back for him with a loss cross into the box or a high one, a style we do not play at all, so I’m a bit concerned with that one, I’d suggest we need a more dynamic striker to carry the ball, bit of speed to play the line and can shift the ball and strike. Lot to ask but a young Micheal Owen type is what I see us needing so I’m hoping the hirst talk is one of a few options 

That same style of play with Ripley and Wilcox won us the Prem. Now they prefer guys coming inside all the time and congesting the play. I used to play full back and if you’d prevented crosses coming in throughout the game you could come off the pitch  with a smile on your face.

• Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s what it looks like to me. He was a fall back option.

Which actually made sense. Happy we got Hyam though.

He ticks most boxes. Well done by the recruitment team and I think everyone that believes deals are done quickly take a look at United with De Jong, Antony and several other players. It takes time. 

I think Rovers have been very very very good at keeping things tight. NO ONE knew that we had approached Coventry about Hyam before last week. Brittain came out of nowhere. Same with Smodicz.

Now it will be extremely interesting to see if BBD goes and who we actually have lined up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That same style of play with Ripley and Wilcox won us the Prem. Now they prefer guys coming inside all the time and congesting the play. I used to play full back and if you’d prevented crosses coming in throughout the game you could come off the pitch  with a smile on your face.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love us to play that style it’s just we don’t and haven’t since those days

• Like 1

Good that Caulker didn't make the cut. We've got enough C and D listers already. Let's hope there's an A or at least B-list midfield bollock and biter on the way and another forward to replace the outgoing Brereton who looks like he may have played his last match for Rovers.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Proper football.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Stewart Thompson  (Man city) possibly checking in with young Delap whos on loan at stoke.

United on Phillips, although they usually have a scout at most games. 

10 minutes ago, alexanders said:

I think Rovers have been very very very good at keeping things tight. NO ONE knew that we had approached Coventry about Hyam before last week. Brittain came out of nowhere. Same with Smodicz.

Pete O’Rourke deserves a break from a couple on here too - it was him or broke the news last week. IMO he’s usually there or thereabouts with Rovers.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love us to play that style it’s just we don’t and haven’t since those days

Nobody else does that I can think of. I see Kompany is buying wingers like there’s no tomorrow. Maybe he intends to play that way. Opponents getting around the side of your defence are a defenders worst nightmare. They can play in front of you all day as far as I’m concerned. What do I know though ? 
It’s like this latest  “ everybody back to defend corners” bollocks. Get your quickest forward, say Dolan, on the half way line. He’s no use defending a corner anyway being 5 ft nothing. They’ll have to pull two back to mark him. Then your keeper has a chance of getting out to claim the ball occasionally. No, we’d rather have a crowded goal mouth were the keeper can’t move.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody else does that I can think of. I see Kompany is buying wingers like there’s no tomorrow. Maybe he intends to play that way. Opponents getting around the side of your defence are a defenders worst nightmare. They can play in front of you all day as far as I’m concerned. What do I know though ? 
It’s like this latest  “ everybody back to defend corners” bollocks. Get your quickest forward, say Dolan, on the half way line. He’s no use defending a corner anyway being 5 ft nothing. They’ll have to pull two back to mark him. Then your keeper has a chance of getting out to claim the ball occasionally. No, we’d rather have a crowded goal mouth were the keeper can’t move.

I haven't seen teams consistently do this since the 90's. I don't know why as you point out here the obvious advantages. 

Makes for a great chance of a counter attack. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

IF Brereton were to leave then we really should be in for Gyokeres.

They clearly haven't got a pot to piss in judging by the comments surrounding the cut price Hyam deal. I'd be a bit annoyed with what GB said tbh if I was them.

Their own manager said "I need to find a replacement for free or near free" so theyre obviously being pretty transparent that theyre broke.

Edited by joey_big_nose

31 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Wonder who Man City and Man Utd were watching? And Fleetwood?!

Fleetwood watching JRC and Dolan

Man City & Utd watching Phillips