BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

14 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Looks like it is going to be an exciting end of the transfer window. Hoping we get to sale some of the players as well like 

JRC

Vale (loan)

Pears

Butterworth 

I'd just release Butterworth and Pears if nobody comes in for them! Both WAY below the expected level.

JRC still needs a run out in his actual position before he gets the same treatment. Mowbray has shoehorned him in to a RB when he isn't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I honestly don't give a shit what players have or have not done at previous clubs. My only interest is how they do in the future, for the Rovers.

People have shocking memories, I'd love to see the reaction the day we signed Samba

40 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This chap sums it up better than I could!

https://twitter.com/GabSutton/status/1564697699022159872?s=20&t=5xnGZb3FMkfMqLjMt44y9Q

Copy for those not on Twitter:

Key thing with George Hirst is, don’t assume because he’s a 6’3” striker that he’s a target man.

He’s a deft operator with excellent link-up play, but the service into him has to be precise and tailored rather than hopeful and speculative.

That'll be him playing on the wing then 

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

How long ago was that loan spell? Brererton couldn't control a ball his first couple of seasons here and now he is a £20 million player.

If he is so shit then surely Leicester would have been happy to take whatever money we offered for him on a permanent deal. 

With the exception of highlights I have seen nothing of him so I can't say wether he be a good signing or not.

You seem pretty certain he won't be a good signing so il presume you have seen a bit of him.Is he decent with his back to goal?Good at bringing others into play?Can he act as a foil for a Dack or Szmodic coming into the box late from deeper? 

Like I said no idea on him but do think the option part of the deal is correct by the club.If he does well and scores a similar amount as he did at Pompey last season then even if £5 million is the amount then it would be a reasonable fee.

Nobody is saying he won't be a good signing.  If he's a good signing then great but he's never 5 million pounds worth of good signing 

Edited by roverandout

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Nobody is saying he won't be a good signing.  If he's a good signal then great but he's never 5 million pounds worth of good signing 

How on earth can you know that?

IF Hirst comes in, scores 30 goals, gets us promoted and gets two hattricks against the dingles, still "Never worth 5 million"?

(Obviously I'm aware that is unlikely to happen before anyone starts)

Astounded people are confident in saying he DEFINITELY won't be worth £5m no matter what he does for us.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Nobody is saying he won't be a good signing.  If he's a good signal then great but he's never 5 million pounds worth of good signing 

Not now no that goes without saying.But If he scores and does well next season then he possibly will be.

Even if a young English striker bags 10-15 goals in the championship their clubs are commanding 5...10...15 million to be bought outright.

We ain't agreeing to pay £5 million for him now(that's if £5 mill is the actual figure)

5 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

IF Hirst comes in, scores 30 goals, gets us promoted and gets two hattricks against the dingles, still "Never worth 5 million"?

Astounded people are confident in saying he DEFINITELY won't be worth £5m no matter what he does for us.

Because 5 million isn't something we can afford to throw away on one player.  We are not Watford or Norwich with parachute payments 

7 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Also add if he scores 30 goals then there will be bigger clubs in for him. Just because there's an option to buy doesn't mean to say he's obligated to sign for us.  There will be interest from epl clubs or recently relegated clubs 

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Not now no that goes without saying.But If he scores and does well next season then he possibly will be.

Even if a young English striker bags 10-15 goals in the championship their clubs are commanding 5...10...15 million to be bought outright.

We ain't agreeing to pay £5 million for him now(that's if £5 mill is the actual figure)

So we sign him for 5 million then he has another good season.  Then we sell him for 15 million the summer after we are back to square one.  There's no building its just developing players then making a profit. 

8 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Because 5 million isn't something we can afford to throw away on one player.  We are not Watford or Norwich with parachute payments 

We have done it twice since parachute payments ended and not gone bankrupt.

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

So we sign him for 5 million then he has another good season.  Then we sell him for 15 million the summer after we are back to square one.  There's no building its just developing players then making a profit. 

Two good seasons and a 10 million profit? Sounds fine by me.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Yep being a trading club. The Brentford etc approach.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We have done it twice since parachute payments ended and not gone bankrupt.

But Mowbray signed these players and has wasted money that has left us in a position where our squad is now woefully short in every area bar maybe centreback.  Brereton took 2 or 3 seasons to show some promise and Gallagher is as useless as ever

Barring several rabbits being pulled out of the hat before the window closes, to me it's been very underwhelming and we are well short.

10 players out at close of last season (5 1st team regulars and 5 squaddies).

In of proven ability at Championship level: Brittain and Hyman.

Should be okay at Championship level: Morton.

Unproven at Championship level: Szmodics and Hirst (if signing completed)

Emerging talent at Championship level: Carter, Phillips and Andy Wharton.

So 10 out, 8 in of which 2 have big question marks against (Szmodics and Hirst) and 3 who have yet to prove they can cut it at Championship level over a sustained run of games (Carter, Phillips and Andy Wharton).

So at best we are 2 short and at worse 5 short and that is before injuries, suspensions or BBD leaving!

Factor in injuries: Barnes' season over, Brittain and Gallagher seemingly out for 6 weeks.  Ayala yet to happen!!!

Finally, the BBD question - will he stay or will he go!? 

To me, our squad is at breaking point and as things stand, mid table would be an outstanding result. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, J*B said:

They’re not going to sell Diaz, are they? 15M up the wall…

We would be stupid to turn down anything between 10 and 15mill. Walks for nothing next season, so why are we playing hardball? 

15 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Like we sold Armstrong and Brererton at the first opportunity you mean?

We rarely sell players.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Barring several rabbits being pulled out of the hat before the window closes, to me it's been very underwhelming and we are well short.

10 players out at close of last season (5 1st team regulars and 5 squaddies).

In of proven ability at Championship level: Brittain and Hyman.

Should be okay at Championship level: Morton.

Unproven at Championship level: Szmodics and Hirst (if signing completed)

Emerging talent at Championship level: Carter, Phillips and Andy Wharton.

So 10 out, 8 in of which 2 have big question marks against (Szmodics and Hirst) and 3 who have yet to prove they can cut it at Championship level over a sustained run of games (Carter, Phillips and Andy Wharton).

So at best we are 2 short and at worse 5 short and that is before injuries, suspensions or BBD leaving!

Factor in injuries: Barnes season over, Brittain and Gallagher seemingly out for 6 weeks.  Ayala yet to happen!!!

Finally, the BBD question - will he stay or will he go!? 

To me, our squad is at breaking point and as things stand, mid table would be an outstanding result. 

Yet if we sign 3-4 players in the next day, you'll be here on Friday telling us we now have a playoff capable squad etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, phili said:

Yep being a trading club. The Brentford etc approach.

Brentford had a proper model. We are scattergunning. We got slightly fortunate with Brereton having 1 good season.  Armstrong money hasn't really been reinvested.  Even Brentford got slightly fortunate to find the magic formula to gain promotion.  Most trading clubs usually stagnate around the football league. Rovers aim should always be promotion because we are a premier league club and venkys owe us to take us back where they took us from. They are also wealthy they should be funding for better players. I don't think Brentford owners are billionaires