BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

How I would rate our summer signings:

Brittain - good signing and an upgrade on Nyambe 

Hyam - feel like he was our best signing of the summer 

Morton - decent signing. Good on the ball but I fear he'll get bullied by the more physical sides

Mola - Not an exciting signing but hopefully a decent squad player 

Szmodics - Not convinced by him at all. Think the money could have been better spent

Hirst - I would have preferred someone more proven but I think his attributes will add a lot to our team. 

Overall a decent window but not an amazing one. 

far too soon

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 1874 said:

I wonder if Everton will be thinking "Why didn't we cough up for Diaz" when they get relegated.

Especially if he was instrumental in firing Rovers past them the other way 😉 

Not that that is likely to happen, or even remotely in our best interests medium to long term..

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It feels like we signed a player yesterday with finally finding out just how good Adam Wharton is.

I wonder if AW's performances against Stoke and Blackpool persuaded us to drop a live target, to fast track his path into the first team?

Extremely exciting prospect.

23 minutes ago, BigBar said:

And I told you why I felt we have a front line that CAN...sorry they haven't lived up to your expectations so far. BBD is the main man with Dack, Hedges, Smozdics, Dolan Gally etc playing a supporting role.

I didn't ignore it I didn't know you required a response to that part because what you are saying basically is we are currently midtable regarding goals scored stats. Like saying we scored the most goals in the division but we have the lowest crosses and shots. Don't put too much stock into "attacking stats", foolish of me to focus on just winning games I guess

Only Brereton can be said to have lived up to expectations in the last 3 years. Dolan has 7 in 71 for us, Gally has 23 in 118,  Hedges has 0 but scored 11 in 66 in the SPL, Szmodics did well in L1 and Hirst the same - no real Championship track records there. Dack is another question mark, desperate for him to get back to where he was, fingers crossed. 

Just found it a bit odd given the calibre of Championship attacker we have, for you to suggest we're gonna tear up the division. There's very little evidence for it, particularly considering we've scored a solitary goal in the last 4 games. 

Regarding the stats - if you don't focus on how many shots we have or how many times we are in the opposition box then that's your prerogative, but I bet managers and coaching teams will.  What's the old adage? If you don't shoot.... 

Edited by Jimmy612

1 minute ago, Andy said:

I wonder if AW's performances against Stoke and Blackpool persuaded us to drop a live target, to fast track his path into the first team?

He’s the best academy prospect I’ve seen since Duffer but we need to be careful with him and play him selectively. Need to keep all the hype away from him as well

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Nah, I think they knew what they had in him. Same with players like Batty, Garrett and Harlock. 

Butterworth didn't even get a squad number - they quickly sussed him out.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

They got 25% of the profit MINUS the performance targets in the contract so it’s not as much as people think ! From the horses mouth as well !

Horses mouth being AA? It was widely reported to be 40%, as Wagott said:-

image.png.3e4c1db4f3c7c19a5c39628710585052.png

image.png.4dcb2778f58426b7522a12e863c21726.png

How Newcastle United can take advantage of clause in Adam Armstrong's contract - Chronicle Live

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

Only Brereton can be said to have lived up to expectations in the last 3 years. Dolan has 7 in 71 for us, Gally has 23 in 118,  Hedges has 0 but scored 11 in 66 in the SPL, Szmodics did well in L1 and Hirst the same - no real Championship track records there. Dack is another question mark, desperate for him to get back to where he was, fingers crossed. 

Just found it a bit off given the calibre of Championship attacker we have to suggest we're gonna tear up the division. There's very little evidence for it, particularly considering we've scored a solitary goal in the last 4 games. 

Regarding the stats - if you don't focus on how many shots we have or how many times we are in the opposition box then that's your prerogative, but I bet managers and coaching teams will.  What's the old adage? If you don't shoot.... 

Sorry did I give off the impression I think Dolan and Gally are prolific?? I think BBD and Dack can tear up this division. BBD could get 25 plus and Dack 10 and alot of assists. Citys top scorer last year , KDB had 15 followed by Mahrez on 11. 

Happy with the window on the whole. Hoped we'd get another attacker with a bit of wow factor - bit like the elliot loan felt exciting but it wasn't to be. 

If we're judging the squad now vs this time last year we have to look beyond just the signings. Dack is back + Wharton and Phillips have emerged + other youth who may or may not prove useful. I'm happy with the squad, I think play offs will be a push but I thought that last year as well and we exceeded expectations massively. 

Keeping BBD till atleast January is massive as well. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

A good window overall. I think we're as strong as last season , if not more so. 

We've kept BBD which was vital if we want to do anything this season. 

We've spent actual money on 2 defenders that look good. They replace Lenihan and Nyambe. 

Ayala, Phillips and Carter effectively replace JVPH

Dack is back. Markanday is back. Hedges is effectively a new player. 

Wharton has emerged, and along with Morton mitigates the loss of Rothwell. 

Hirst appears to be an out and out target man/striker. Hopefully no more false nine shite!

Hope abounds!

I think Hirst might be handy if we have to ale house it. Some times you need to go that way.  It’s handy to be able to mix it up sometimes.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

truly shocked that sarr from watford has`nt been picked up by someone in the top flight,the guy is an absolute animal,very nearly world class imo, like a fox  with the chickens in this division

Failed a medical at villa recently 

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I was hoping  that a Dembele or a someone with a bit of stardust would arrive as the last signing.  

Last night Wharton was class, but we haven't got a player that gets you on the edge of your seat in an attacking sense.  Like Rothwell/Khadra/Elliot.  could.

Rothwell and Khadra got you on the edge of your seat until they had to play that killer ball or shoot. Then they were underwhelming.

• Like 4

If I was to rate the window out of 10 I would probably go for 6.

Positives

Kept Brereton, without him serious trouble scoring goals and he is the 'star man' capable of hitting 20 a season.

Some cash spent replacing the major departures - Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell - with permanent signings rather than short term deals or loans.

No unexpected or unwanted departures beyond those we knew were going to happen at the start of the summer

Defensively we seem to have weathered the crisis and now have good options there.

The return to fitness of Dack and meteoric rise of A Wharton do a lot for us that we might not have expected to have at the start of the summer.

Negatives

The cash paid out has essentially just replaced the 3 out of contract players we couldn't keep, so cash that whilst welcome should have been spent significantly strengthening the squad has instead been used to replace those we lost for nothing - a big hole in the finances in several ways

I remain concerned as to our attacking options and prowess beyond BBD. Hopefully that will change but feel we are short. 

Full back positions - not entirely comfortable but hopefully we've enough.

I'm not sure anyone can seriously put forward a strong argument that we are STRONGER now than we were last season in terms of options. Dack's return to fitness a big step and -hopefully- Adam Wharton is a major bonus for us - but we have lost quality too - Khadra and Rothwell two big ones. It remains to be seen.

My hope / expectation is that we have a better manager, and provided he feels he has been backed and not let down this window he is capable of delivering more than Mowbray served up. If he doesn't feel he has been backed then we are in trouble as this guy won't be taken for a ride.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

not sure why everton have paid 15 million for james garner,not a bad player but he`s not going to enhance your midfield that much,he`s very inofensive and nice

I think he’s a good player. He’s got a bit of the Travis about him. Gave us a hard time in the game at Ewood last season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If I was to rate the window out of 10 I would probably go for 6.

Positives

Kept Brereton, without him serious trouble scoring goals and he is the 'star man' capable of hitting 20 a season.

Some cash spent replacing the major departures - Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell - with permanent signings rather than short term deals or loans.

No unexpected or unwanted departures beyond those we knew were going to happen at the start of the summer

Defensively we seem to have weathered the crisis and now have good options there.

The return to fitness of Dack and meteoric rise of A Wharton do a lot for us that we might not have expected to have at the start of the summer.

Negatives

The cash paid out has essentially just replaced the 3 out of contract players we couldn't keep, so cash that whilst welcome should have been spent significantly strengthening the squad has instead been used to replace those we lost for nothing - a big hole in the finances in several ways

I remain concerned as to our attacking options and prowess beyond BBD. Hopefully that will change but feel we are short. 

Full back positions - not entirely comfortable but hopefully we've enough.

I'm not sure anyone can seriously put forward a strong argument that we are STRONGER now than we were last season in terms of options. Dack's return to fitness a big step and -hopefully- Adam Wharton is a major bonus for us - but we have lost quality too - Khadra and Rothwell two big ones. It remains to be seen.

My hope / expectation is that we have a better manager, and provided he feels he has been backed and not let down this window he is capable of delivering more than Mowbray served up. If he doesn't feel he has been backed then we are in trouble as this guy won't be taken for a ride.

Khadra’s not much of a loss.

• Like 5