BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Always thought that Brereton would be more likely to go for more money in January, when a team near the bottom of the Prem gambles for safety. 

If he stays beyond January, I would assume he will have had a good enough season up to that point, for Venkys to keep him, hoping for a decent league finish. 

With either of those outcomes, nobody could argue that the £6 million wasn't money well spent. He's turned into a cracking player. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Why would he do that? If he stays a free agent he can take a £3/4m signing on fee for himself when he moves on a free, on top of having more clubs to choose from. 

Though I agree - he is an injury away from it falling down like a house of cards. Look at Dack, lots of rumours of big money moves - and then he gets injured. At least he had a good contract to protect him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tricky said:

It'll be the same fans who are crying over Rovers offering £5 tickets to GCSE students for the Bristol game... 

Has anyone ACTUALLY complained about that though or are you making it up?

Anyhow, surprised you're still around after slagging off the "Dack fan Club" last Saturday.

Any thoughts on his performance against Blackpool?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Was Glen being strung along a bit with the Styles stuff? We clearly didn’t want him as he ended up on loan at Millwall. If we had a genuine interest then I’m sure we would have been a better option.

Or we wanted him at the beginning of the window but moved away from the deal due to Morton and Wharton. 

31 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Can't believe the genuine disappointment from some that Brereton is still here, maybe I'm biased though as I was pretty much the only member in the Brereton fan club when times were tougher.

I presume Gus Williams has started full time now as he was due to join in August properly. The brief for him is simple now, find our new Brereton or preferably 2 of them!

There was a quite a few who thought Brererton had something myself included 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

By 'tougher', do you mean when he was utter shite?

The performances weren't good, but it was clearly more than just a case of being 'utter shite'. A young player bereft of any confidence whatsoever, feeling that he was letting the fans down. Look at his entire demeanour now, that beaming smile is a joy to see and I'm looking forward to it for the next few months at least.

• Like 3

I think hedges, Diaz and Gallagher will be our starting front three. With either dack or Sammie just behind. I think that's a decent enough attack for this league. I think Dolan can play a role off the bench against tired legs. He's been way off it so far this season but he's still only young and hopefully will get better as the team does. If we switch to back three of Scott, Ayala and hyam that's fairly solid on paper. With Carter and Phillips when needed. Morton or bola can play just in front of those three. Then just ahead of those we've Travis, Buckley and Adam. Brittain has been for me our most consistent player so far, even when we've been awful at times. Pickering out on the left without as much defensive responsibility will hopefully come good.

Looking at it like that and with kaminski being arguably the best keeper in this league, we've got a solid foundation there to finish well clear of relegation. If we can go on a run and make our way towards top six even better. Although I think it won't be as competitive as last season and there will be a bigger gap between the top teams and the rest of us.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Has anyone ACTUALLY complained about that though or are you making it up?

Anyhow, surprised you're still around after slagging off the "Dack fan Club" last Saturday.

Any thoughts on his performance against Blackpool?

Lol I saw some moans on social Media about it. 

It's nice to Dack answering to his critics, myself included. Let's not get carried away though. 

Overall with the decision to hold on to BBD we look to be in a pretty good place. In the end it is the owners' money and if they are passing up the £12m or so that is down to them - they seem indifferent to losing money on the club. I don't understand references to relegation; I don't think there is the slightest prospect of that. In fact I think promotion is more likely than relegation. Of the clubs without parachute payments we are currently highest in the table and with a reasonable run with injuries - especially to BBD - have as good a chance as any of getting in to the playoffs; in particular with the age profile of our squad being so young there is every likelihood of some players improving significantly over the course of the season.

• Like 1

I don’t comment through the window, as what’s the point when the big moves happen in the last 10 days. ‘Where’s  Broughton?’ Who cares was my view, he had a job to do, I wasn’t interested in his musings on the transfer market on the 28th July or whenever.

So what’s clear to me is that we are at the whim of the owners, end of.

All this about becoming a trading club, selling assets for big prices and re-investing isn’t the model here. It was something projected by some fans of how they want the club to be, not the reality. The way we’ve approached contracts and offers tells us that.

And that’s fine, it’s their club. If they are happy to turn down £15-£20million for Rothwell and BBD in six months alone, then that’s their prerogative.

We are now in one of their spells where they look happy to spend on players regardless and with the more professional set up on the playing side, it looks promising and I’m happy to see how it pans out. How long will it last until it all gets ripped up again? Who knows, but I do feel we can have a go this season.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Personally don't rate it as a window.

We were in desperate need of a fast Winger and a RB and LB.

2 weeks ago we got destroyed by Reading and they've hardly added anything since.

They've added a forward - we didn't score against Reading

They've added 2 CBs - we conceded 3 goals against Reading

• Like 6

Decent window for all of the reasons already listed. Not brilliant, but certainly not bad.

Was good to see us spend a bit of money without having to sell Diaz. 

Important to remember this is Tomasson & Broughton’s first window. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that. I also wanted us to bring in a better left back and winger, but other spots were arguably more pressing so let’s see what they do in January.

As a side - any word on the Phillips contract? Wasn’t it all but done last Friday? Hoping it’s a delayed announcement or a wait for formalities to be sorted rather than another Hoilett saga.

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Though I agree - he is an injury away from it falling down like a house of cards. Look at Dack, lots of rumours of big money moves - and then he gets injured. At least he had a good contract to protect him.

And then the club was kind enough to extend that contract while he was injured. Not bad for two years of not playing that he still got paid. BBD is taking a big risk and I hope it doesnt play on his mind as we need him firing on all cylinders.