BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

We’ve only signed one permanent centre half in four years, Only paid a fee for one In *EIGHT* years! Some set up this and the new fella comes in spouting the old ‘the owners want sustainable Premier League football’ line. Fantasy land stuff.

75D27B67-605F-40C1-B66F-1CE5EBDB765E.jpeg

They only bought Duffy in as a quick turnaround to give games to then sell again.

Whilst i know we need to be a trading club in certain ways the whole philosophy was wrong for years with a look to polish and turn around for a quick buck mentality.

Agents running the show though then and afterwards we end up with a former solid top league center half with an aversion to finding similar to himself managing the show.

That's why we are heading back to square one again defense wise.

Assuming that Venkys again decide to cash in on an asset and try and replace him with loans, then I wonder if Troy Parrott will come onto our radar as a potential loan, he has scored v Scotland and I believe he impressed at MK Dons especially in the second half of last season. Not that I think a loan is the right way to go as we need to continuously invest in assets, but the amount of managers that have gone elsewhere doesn't suggest a bumper kitty.

Obafemi looks like he is a good player, shame we didn't get him.

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Assuming that Venkys again decide to cash in on an asset and try and replace him with loans, then I wonder if Troy Parrott will come onto our radar as a potential loan, he has scored v Scotland and I believe he impressed at MK Dons especially in the second half of last season. Not that I think a loan is the right way to go as we need to continuously invest in assets, but the amount of managers that have gone elsewhere doesn't suggest a bumper kitty.

Obafemi looks like he is a good player, shame we didn't get him.

Yeah Obafemi looks a talent,was good 2nd half of season for Swansea last season.Can see him being amongst the higher goalscorers in the division next season.

In fairness to Mowbray I do think he can spot a good young player

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe we might actually spend some money if Brereton is sold. 

What is Troy Parrott's strengths? 

He got 8 goals in 41 games for MK Dons last season. 

I would look at Ryan Hardie from Plymouth who scored 16 goals in 37 games. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe we might actually spend some money if Brereton is sold. 

What is Troy Parrott's strengths? 

He got 8 goals in 41 games for MK Dons last season. 

I am not convinced that they will. You have previously quoted £10m of the fee as an expectation, there is no chance of that!

I was not recommending Parrott, I haven't seen him enough, I just mentioned him after seeing him score today and presuming that Spurs would like to loan him to a Championship side.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not convinced that they will. You have previously quoted £10m of the fee as an expectation, there is no chance of that!

I was not recommending Parrott, I haven't seen him enough, I just mentioned him after seeing him score today and presuming that Spurs would like to loan him to a Championship side.

You say no chance like its a fact. You have no idea but its does seem like we have strategy in place now we appoint a DoF and hopefully close to appoint head coach. Lets see what happens in the summer. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

You say no chance like its a fact. You have no idea but its does seem like we have strategy in place now we appoint a DoF and hopefully close to appoint head coach. Lets see what happens in the summer. 

You could say that we had "a strategy" in place when Coyle and Senior were here, merely appointing people does not indicate a successful strategy. Not that it has much relevance to my point about budgets.

On the budget, of course nobody knows what it is. I think with 99% certainty we won't spend £10m this summer. I would personally be surprised if we spent half of that, pleasantly of course as we need some investment to boost a threadbare squad.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You could say that we had "a strategy" in place when Coyle and Senior were here, merely appointing people does not indicate a successful strategy. Not that it has much relevance to my point about budgets.

On the budget, of course nobody knows what it is. I think with 99% certainty we won't spend £10m this summer. I would personally be surprised if we spent half of that, pleasantly of course as we need some investment to boost a threadbare squad.

Not real cos Senior was appointed 7 months after Coyle was. 

With the appointment of Gregg Broughton, I see it that Rovers have put a proper footballing strategy in place now and he will oversee it. I listened to his twice and He seems to have a strategy of how he was build the club up and what he wants to put in place for us to be successful and to gain promotion. 

On the budget, no we don't know how much we got to spend but this is where smart and organise recruitment plan comes into play. 

Our squad isn't threadbare at all. We need about 6 signings.

1. right back if Nyambe doesn't sign a new contract

2. centre back as it appears Lenihan won't be signing a new contract if the media reports are correct. 

3. 2 centre midfielders 

4. left winger

6. pacey striker 

plus promoting 4 players from the under 23's in James Brown, Ash Phillips Jake Garrett and Jack Vale into the first team squad. So the squad would look like this

GK's :- Kaminski, Pears, Eastham

RB's :- Nyambe/New signing, Brown

CB's :- Wharton, Carter, Ayala, Phillips, new signing

LB's :- Pickering, Edun

CM's :- Travis, Buckley(He can also play the AM role), Garrett, 2 new signings

RW's :- Hedges, Markanday

AM :- Dack, 

LW :- Dolan, New signing

ST :- Gallagher, Vale, new signing

Thats a 23 man squad there

I haven't include Ben Brereton Diaz as I feel that he will leave this season and I haven't included Dan Butterworth and Tyler Maglorie cos I would let both go

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

With the appointment of Gregg Broughton, I see it that Rovers have put a proper footballing strategy in place now and he will oversee it. I listened to his twice and He seems to have a strategy of how he was build the club up and what he wants to put in place for us to be successful and to gain promotion. 

On the budget, no we don't know how much we got to spend but this is where smart and organise recruitment plan comes into play. 

2. centre back as it appears Lenihan won't be signing a new contract if the media reports are correct. 

3. 2 centre midfielders 

4. left winger

6. pacey striker 

plus promoting 4 players from the under 23's in James Brown, Ash Phillips Jake Garrett and Jack Vale into the first team squad. So the squad would look like this

I haven't include Ben Brereton Diaz as I feel that he will leave this season and I haven't included Dan Butterworth and Tyler Maglorie cos I would let both go

If merely appointing a director of football means that we have "a proper footballing strategy in place now" in your opinion then fair enough, my point was that we don't know if there is a genuine plan and more importantly one that will actually work.

We need much more than what you have outlined there, your outlined squad has assumed that ALL of those promoted from the kids team will be successful and is still rather threadbare, bare in mind that we can now name 9 subs too. 

I would personally suggest that we need an experienced number 2 keeper, either Nyambe to stay or a new first choice right back, further competition for both full back positions, (Edun is poor but he is less poor in midfield, and I wouldn't consider Brown or Rankin Costello to be proven to be good enough at this stage, I would loan at least the former out) probably 2 centre backs/3 if Ayala goes, 2 or 3 central midfielders and at least a left winger and a striker going forward.

Only Kaminski, Wharton, Pickering, Travis, Dack and one of Hedges/Markanday I would suggest could be first teamers, and Ayala, (if he stays and even if he does, he isn't reliable enough) Hedges/Markanday, Gallagher, Dolan, Buckley, presumably Carter and at a push Edun (id look to move him on personally) are good to have around the squad. If any of the kids break through, bonus.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

3. 2 centre midfielders 

4. left winger

6. pacey striker 

“Our squad isn’t threadbare, we need about 6 signings “ . Enough said.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If merely appointing a director of football means that we have "a proper footballing strategy in place now" in your opinion then fair enough, my point was that we don't know if there is a genuine plan and more importantly one that will actually work.

Gregg Broughton in his Rovers TV interview outlined the strategy and I am looking forward to seeing it getting implement here. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We need much more than what you have outlined there, your outlined squad has assumed that ALL of those promoted from the kids team will be successful and is still rather threadbare, bare in mind that we can now name 9 subs too. 

not for me. What I have outlined in my post is what I think we should be doing. 

BTW, you can only named 7 subs but used 5 subs from the 7 subs. Regulation changes agreed at the EFL's Annual General Meeting | rovers.co.uk

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would personally suggest that we need an experienced number 2 keeper, either Nyambe to stay or a new first choice right back, further competition for both full back positions, (Edun is poor but he is less poor in midfield, and I wouldn't consider Brown or Rankin Costello to be proven to be good enough at this stage, I would loan at least the former out) probably 2 centre backs/3 if Ayala goes, 2 or 3 central midfielders and at least a left winger and a striker going forward.

so around 10 signings and our good prospects like Jack Vale, Ash Phillips and Jake Garrett pathway into the first team squad is blocked by these signings then? 

I would loan JRC out for this season and let him play regular football somewhere, 

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Only Kaminski, Wharton, Pickering, Travis, Dack and one of Hedges/Markanday I would suggest could be first teamers, and Ayala, (if he stays and even if he does, he isn't reliable enough) Hedges/Markanday, Gallagher, Dolan, Buckley, presumably Carter and at a push Edun (id look to move him on personally) are good to have around the squad. If any of the kids break through, bonus.

So Buckley isn't a first teamer? woah

I think Kaminski, Pickering, Wharton, Travis, Dack, Buckley, Possibe Nyambe, Hedges, Dolan and maybe Gallagher would be first teamers. I think Carter will come back a very improved player from last season loan spell at Pompey.  

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gregg Broughton in his Rovers TV interview outlined the strategy and I am looking forward to seeing it getting implement here. 

not for me. What I have outlined in my post is what I think we should be doing. 

BTW, you can only named 7 subs but used 5 subs from the 7 subs. Regulation changes agreed at the EFL's Annual General Meeting | rovers.co.uk

so around 10 signings and our good prospects like Jack Vale, Ash Phillips and Jake Garrett pathway into the first team squad is blocked by these signings then? 

I would loan JRC out for this season and let him play regular football somewhere, 

So Buckley isn't a first teamer? woah

I think Kaminski, Pickering, Wharton, Travis, Dack, Buckley, Possibe Nyambe, Hedges, Dolan and maybe Gallagher would be first teamers. I think Carter will come back a very improved player from last season loan spell at Pompey.  

Buckley's best position is attacking midfield, where Dack plays, who is better. Nyambe would be a first teamer but I can't see him staying. I think you could say this about most if not all of those listed but Dolan certainly isn't a regular for a top 6 side, nor is Gallagher. Both have their uses but I would have them as squad players.

If these kids are good enough then they will get game time regardless of signings, but we cannot sign fewer players and just hope they are all good enough. I would send Vale to League 1 or 2 and hopefully he will get goals there, I would also consider loans for the other 2.

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would say needing 6 signings doesn't mean squad is threadbare at all

Not threadbare, just need to replace 3 first team defenders, two first team midfielders and buy in a couple of strikers (we needed a striker as well as Brereton last season, that's why it all went badly wrong).

With the caveat that I have no idea where the new manager will play various players. We could get another Mowbray playing midfielders up front and attackers on the wing.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Bacuna always seems to cause us problems. Dunno if Josh Murphy is as good as his twin. Flint is getting on a bit now but might be good for a season.

Josh Murphy needs avoiding. Preston sent him back for being a p*sshead.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley's best position is attacking midfield, where Dack plays, who is better. Nyambe would be a first teamer but I can't see him staying. I think you could say this about most if not all of those listed but Dolan certainly isn't a regular for a top 6 side, nor is Gallagher. Both have their uses but I would have them as squad players.

Well based on last season Buckley was. Lets see how Dack is this coming season after a proper pre season first. For me, Buckley can play either role. 

Dolan has talent but needs a head coach to bring it out of him. He was very good in the first couple of months until we switch formation to back 3. 

We talk about Gallagher before so I not going too deep into again. 

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If these kids are good enough then they will get game time regardless of signings, but we cannot sign fewer players and just hope they are all good enough. I would send Vale to League 1 or 2 and hopefully he will get goals there, I would also consider loans for the other 2.

There is the different I think the 4 I mention are ready to play a part in our first team but won't play a part if you block their path way. I would like to see Vale given more opportunities all last season. Anyway we have to agree to disagree on this. 

Here is our academy chief comments about Broughton's appointment and will have discussions with him about which ones should be around  the first team. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

10 hours ago, booth said:

Not threadbare, just need to replace 3 first team defenders, two first team midfielders and buy in a couple of strikers (we needed a striker as well as Brereton last season, that's why it all went badly wrong).

With the caveat that I have no idea where the new manager will play various players. We could get another Mowbray playing midfielders up front and attackers on the wing.

I have explained how and what I would do. Sign 6 players and bring through 4 players from the under 23's squad. 

If you disagree fine but that is what I would do. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well based on last season Buckley was. Lets see how Dack is this coming season after a proper pre season first. For me, Buckley can play either role. 

Dolan has talent but needs a head coach to bring it out of him. He was very good in the first couple of months until we switch formation to back 3. 

We talk about Gallagher before so I not going too deep into again. 

There is the different I think the 4 I mention are ready to play a part in our first team but won't play a part if you block their path way. I would like to see Vale given more opportunities all last season. Anyway we have to agree to disagree on this. 

The idea of blooding youngsters is great, and a model all clubs would love to use. But an over reliance will lead to massive struggles. The majority of these kids won't make an impact in professional football, never mind in the Championship.  We've had loads of hopefuls that have ended up dropping down the leagues - Willem Tomlinson springs to mind, playing at Chorley now.  Adam Henley made quite a few starts for us, now at Chorley as well. Jason Lowe made 11 starts for England U21s and was captain of our U23s. He's 30 and has played at Salford in League 2 for 3 seasons. 

Last year everyone was desperate for Butterworth to get a go. He was hopeless 99% of the time.  I'm not saying immediately give up on him, but bringing through 4 youngsters on top of our current squad isn't the answer. We've lost 3 senior players, at least 2 or 3 regular loan starters, Brereton will likely go as will Ayala by the sounds of it - so that's 8 lost. Considering we were light on players at the end of last season, in my opinion we are on an absolute knife edge at the moment, and fast running out of time. 

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

The idea of blooding youngsters is great, and a model all clubs would love to use. But an over reliance will lead to massive struggles. The majority of these kids won't make an impact in professional football, never mind in the Championship.  We've had loads of hopefuls that have ended up dropping down the leagues - Willem Tomlinson springs to mind, playing at Chorley now. 

Last year everyone was desperate for Butterworth to get a go. He was hopeless 99% of the time.  I'm not saying immediately give up on him, but bringing through 4 youngsters on top of our current squad isn't the answer. We've lost 3 senior players, at least 2 or 3 regular loan starters, Brereton will likely go as will Ayala by the sounds of it - so that's 8 lost. Considering we were light on players at the end of last season, in my opinion we are on an absolute knife edge at the moment, and fast running out of time. 

Brown is 23 years old. Hardly a youngster is he? 

Ash Phillips is highly rated and part of the England squad at his age group.

Vale is 21 and I think he is someone who would develop better here and play a good part for us. 

Ayala might aswell go anyway cos he never fit and injured far too much

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brown is 23 years old. Hardly a youngster is he? 

Ash Phillips is highly rated and part of the England squad at his age group.

Vale is 21 and I think he is someone who would develop better here and play a good part for us. 

Ayala might aswell go anyway cos he never fit and injured far too much

Brown - no, didn't know you were classing him. Surprised you define him as an U23 tbh, I have him as a first team player now, such is the lack of depth in our squad. 

Philips. I repeat, he's 16. Wayne Rooney was once in a generation playing at that age, perhaps Bellingham as well. You risk destroying him by asking him to play against full.professionals so soon. To my knowledge, he's never played a senior game for Rovers or any other team? 

Vale - 1 goal in 10 at Halifax last season.  5th tier I believe. What qualifies him to be a regular first team player? 

Who was your 4th? Apologies, may have missed it. 

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 2