BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

I was a defender of Mowbray throughout most if his time here, but felt he should've gone last summer which is roughly around the time when Harvey left.

I'm quite staggered actually at the brasenness & naivety of his comments above. Trying to be neutral about it, I can kind of understand why a colleague / friend might advise another friend / colleague to seriously consider an opportunity elsewhere, but for TM as a manager to actively recommend that Harvey leave, to then openly admit it like he has done, and then to disparage the profile of the club like he has (as opposed to just the owners, who we all have reservations about) is pretty outrageous by anyone's standards.

To my mind there is certainly a case to make out retrospectively that he is guilty of gross misconduct in his employment, though what that would mean in real terms financially is impossible to gauge. I doubt there's an appetite to take that step & perhaps we should look forward & stop looking back, but he has certainly besmirched his reputation as far as I'm concerned with those comments. 

• Like 5

He besmirched his reputation here in the covid season with some of the absolute tripe he insulted this club with.

It was clear he didn't give a #### about anything other than being seen to be a players man. Results, league tables, fans opinions didn't matter to him as long as he was giving everybody a game and getting good possession stats.

No way does he say some of that stuff if there was fans in the ground and no other club with directors with any power sit and listen to that. I'm convinced more than ever now he wanted out and had his eye on something else but he wouldn't walk and they would't pay him up.

Looking back it's clear as day he'd more or less given up here.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gav said:

Why not turn your attention to someone like Coyle who actually was a dolloper, instead of Mowbray who was a manager who had taken us as far as he could, no harm in that really.

It is a strange phenomenon that this thread has reached 100 pages,when the bloke did a decent job. Why people have to keep trying to prove some kind of point is anyone's guess,it's all a bit odd. 

I notice the calls of him leaving the squad in a bad state have gone quiet, seem a bit silly after Tuesday night's performance and being 3rd.

He's left a good platform from which Tomasson can hopefully take us onwards and upwards. I could understand it if it was Steve Kean. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, M_B said:

It is a strange phenomenon that this thread has reached 100 pages,when the bloke did a decent job. Why people have to keep trying to prove some kind of point is anyone's guess,it's all a bit odd. 

I notice the calls of him leaving the squad in a bad state have gone quiet, seem a bit silly after Tuesday night's performance and being 3rd.

He's left a good platform from which Tomasson can hopefully take us onwards and upwards. I could understand it if it was Steve Kean. 

Mowbray may have done a decent job in your opinion. That does not mean he actually did a decent job. In my opinion, I would expect more than decent, paying someone a good wage to perform their job.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, M_B said:

He did a decent job overall but he should have left/sacked  two seasons ago.Too stubborn and extremely limited tactically.

I don't put him on Kean level but when Im reading that he was advising our head of recruitment to leave the club to join Sunderland then imo he couldnt have had the clubs best interests at heart when he was here.

He didn't put the club no 1 when he was here,giving all the senior ageing players after our promotion new contracts that there ability didn't merit.

Coming out in the media with all the Rothwell stuff...should have been kept in house. 

Some of his comments openly admitting he would have signed a new contract here if offered in January but because no offer was forthcoming coming out crying in the media about it when the season was unfinished.

The Rothwell saga, he was clearly aware that the owners said they didn't want to sell him but yet still chose to play it out in front of the cameras that should have been kept in house.

Not signing a forward when he had the opportunity to do so, playing Ryan Giles rwf when he had the most assists first part of season playing LWB for Cardiff.Some of his decisions whilst here were absolutely crazy.

If he had gone a couple of years ago I'd remember him a lot more fondly.

He is a mediocre at best manager his career outside of Rovers proves this and he is certainly two faced 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He besmirched his reputation here in the covid season with some of the absolute tripe he insulted this club with.

It was clear he didn't give a #### about anything other than being seen to be a players man. Results, league tables, fans opinions didn't matter to him as long as he was giving everybody a game and getting good possession stats.

No way does he say some of that stuff if there was fans in the ground and no other club with directors with any power sit and listen to that. I'm convinced more than ever now he wanted out and had his eye on something else but he wouldn't walk and they would't pay him up.

Looking back it's clear as day he'd more or less given up here.

The covid season was a weird one though, obviously, and I'm not sure that's an entirely fair time to judge him by. Being a good man manager was perhaps more of a priority then than ever, as opposed to being just purely a football manager, for the sake of the mental health of the players? 

I had to work all through covid, with all the professional & social disruption that caused, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't on top form throughout then.

But what these comments show is that he wasn't just not performing at his best, or looking out for player welfare at the expense of club progression, he was actively derailing the club's ambitions & structure, which possibly went further than just Harvey. That's what I'm most peeved at, alongside his back handed swipe at the small car he was driving for 5 years.

Oh well, hopefully he finds out the bigger the vehicle, the more spectacular the crash.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, rigger said:

Mowbray may have done a decent job in your opinion. That does not mean he actually did a decent job. In my opinion, I would expect more than decent, paying someone a good wage to perform their job.

I was more making the point that it's odd that there are 100 pages of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

The covid season was a weird one though, obviously, and I'm not sure that's an entirely fair time to judge him by. Being a good man manager was perhaps more of a priority then than ever, as opposed to being just purely a football manager, for the sake of the mental health of the players? 

I had to work all through covid, with all the professional & social disruption that caused, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't on top form throughout then.

But what these comments show is that he wasn't just not performing at his best, or looking out for player welfare at the expense of club progression, he was actively derailing the club's ambitions & structure, which possibly went further than just Harvey. That's what I'm most peeved at, alongside his back handed swipe at the small car he was driving for 5 years.

Oh well, hopefully he finds out the bigger the vehicle, the more spectacular the crash.

It all adds up because all the bull crap seemed to begin halfway through that season and i'm sorry there was no excuse for some of it.

He blew it by changing the style of play overnight and loading a load of similar players onto the books then when it went wrong the mildest bit of questioning on it he lost the plot.

Nothing whatsoever to do with covid and all about a guy who had run out of ideas but been so lofty in his position he'd never been called out on it before.

Anyway he's fast becoming know as Tony 'when i was at Blackburn' Mowbray up there 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gav said:

Why not turn your attention to someone like Coyle who actually was a dolloper, instead of Mowbray who was a manager who had taken us as far as he could, no harm in that really.

You don't see the problem with his comments about actually telling Harvey to move to Sunderland? really? I see it has a massive issue and I wonder is there anyone else he has advised to leave?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You don't see the problem with his comments about actually telling Harvey to move to Sunderland? really? I see it has a massive issue and I wonder is there anyone else he has advised to leave?

Chads - you as like the last person that wanted him out. Now he is gone you have gone full hate. 

blaming raya for defensive frailties when he had two converted midfielders as centre backs,selling him cheaply then bringing in the worst goalkeeper iv`e ever seen  walton,stating defenders were coming then spending 15 million quid on two centre forwards we did`nt need at the time,gallagher overpriced and diaz who took 3 seasons to start producing,**** off tony,you are not welcome at ewood,tapping up staff and probably manipulating lenihan and rothwell as well means you are level with coyle in the despised former rovers personel imo

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

For once Chaddy I completely agree with you. I think Mowbray's astonishing admission that he had advised and encouraged Harvey to move to Sunderland is very concerning and appears to confirm a suspicion I had with him some time ago that he was not entirely focused on BRFC and it maximising its potential and I think he was more interested in being 'uncle Tony' and making sure 'his boys' did alright out of it.

He sounds quite proud of his role in encouraging Harvey to up sticks and leave, almost as though he is seeking credit for it. Really all it does is show us and his new club that he needs keeping a close eye on otherwise he could be advising a whole range of people to leave.

It is unforgivable when he is taking a wage out of the Club but that's what happens when a manager has too much power, there is a power vacuum above him and is left in place to do as he pleases. Any serious board or ownership would have dealt with that situation and axed Mowbray if he had been encouraging important staff members to leave but not Tony - he probably knew what was coming and wanted to ensure they were all set up and looked after each other in their next job.

Stinks but not the first time eyebrows have been raised. 

I hope he fails miserably. His comments are unprofessional and insulting to the Club that paid his wages for 5 years.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Everyone is allowed to change their mind. 

Especially when new evidence comes to light; previously it was all suspicion and conjecture, but these are words from the horse's mouth, under no duress. It's certainly caused me to re-evaluate the legacy of his tenure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

For once Chaddy I completely agree with you. I think Mowbray's astonishing admission that he had advised and encouraged Harvey to move to Sunderland is very concerning and appears to confirm a suspicion I had with him some time ago that he was not entirely focused on BRFC and it maximising its potential and I think he was more interested in being 'uncle Tony' and making sure 'his boys' did alright out of it.

He sounds quite proud of his role in encouraging Harvey to up sticks and leave, almost as though he is seeking credit for it. Really all it does is show us and his new club that he needs keeping a close eye on otherwise he could be advising a whole range of people to leave.

It is unforgivable when he is taking a wage out of the Club but that's what happens when a manager has too much power, there is a power vacuum above him and is left in place to do as he pleases. Any serious board or ownership would have dealt with that situation and axed Mowbray if he had been encouraging important staff members to leave but not Tony - he probably knew what was coming and wanted to ensure they were all set up and looked after each other in their next job.

Stinks but not the first time eyebrows have been raised. 

I hope he fails miserably. His comments are unprofessional and insulting to the Club that paid his wages for 5 years.

I agree with you 💯 %

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray advising a scout to move to Sunderland isn’t anywhere near the top of my ‘massive issue list’ Chaddy.

Why Sainsburys have delivered the wrong brand of coffee on the other hand is….. 

• Like 1

Mowbray will always be a gurning chump in my estimation. 

He cared about as much for his job and Blackburn Rovers as I care about whatever the Kardashians had for breakfast three weeks ago. If he badmouths the club, it may be symptomatic of his disaffection for the people behind the scenes, but it is a no-no to diss the fans and our passion for a footballing community that has more class and history than any big city club across the nation.

He's gone. Good.

Gurning chump.

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

It all adds up because all the bull crap seemed to begin halfway through that season and i'm sorry there was no excuse for some of it.

He blew it by changing the style of play overnight and loading a load of similar players onto the books then when it went wrong the mildest bit of questioning on it he lost the plot.

Nothing whatsoever to do with covid and all about a guy who had run out of ideas but been so lofty in his position he'd never been called out on it before.

Anyway he's fast becoming know as Tony 'when i was at Blackburn' Mowbray up there 😂

I find it quite comforting how he is obviously rattled by the manner in which he alleges he was treated in the run down of his Rovers contract.

It could just be that the club found out that he was behaving like a fifth columnist and though FUTM if that's how you want to play it.

Like all rubbish eventually gets swept up or blows away he's gone.

• Like 1

He's just playing up to the Sunderland masses like i always said when he was here he's a crafty old goat and knows just how to play the game in the media.

I doubt he'd have been advizing Harvey to leave if he was expecting a new contract from the owners here.  Something at some point a year or two ago happened behind the scenes in my opinion. That tipped the balance against him after he'd been so well thought of in the Venky eyes. The backing stopped, he blamed covid but they still stretched the wage bill for him just no money for transfers.

Might be wide of the mark but now the dust has settled i think he was quietly touting himself for other jobs. Word got back and the phone in Pune was switched off and lips came out both sides of the void between here and India.

Alex Neil was waiting in the wings a while for this job but ended up at Sunderland instead of Mowbray. 

No conspiracy just my suspicion of how things played out, i wish Sunderland had stepped in and paid compo 2 years ago !!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, islander200 said:

He did a decent job overall but he should have left/sacked  two seasons ago.Too stubborn and extremely limited tactically.

I don't put him on Kean level but when Im reading that he was advising our head of recruitment to leave the club to join Sunderland then imo he couldnt have had the clubs best interests at heart when he was here.

He didn't put the club no 1 when he was here,giving all the senior ageing players after our promotion new contracts that there ability didn't merit.

Coming out in the media with all the Rothwell stuff...should have been kept in house. 

Some of his comments openly admitting he would have signed a new contract here if offered in January but because no offer was forthcoming coming out crying in the media about it when the season was unfinished.

The Rothwell saga, he was clearly aware that the owners said they didn't want to sell him but yet still chose to play it out in front of the cameras that should have been kept in house.

Not signing a forward when he had the opportunity to do so, playing Ryan Giles rwf when he had the most assists first part of season playing LWB for Cardiff.Some of his decisions whilst here were absolutely crazy.

If he had gone a couple of years ago I'd remember him a lot more fondly.

He is a mediocre at best manager his career outside of Rovers proves this and he is certainly two faced 

You forgot my favourite of Bradley Johnson false 9. You know it’s bad when the player is even calling it out himself on socials. 

• Like 2