BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

A fun read from some supporters with delusions of grandeur given their current squad. Are they aware they're mid-table after spending several seasons in League One? I remember seeing a quote after they played us saying "we'd be second if Stewart [one of their strikers] wasn't injured".

Also, Alex Neil isn't sitting too well with Stoke supporters so far, with one claiming O'Neil' was doing a better job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, frosty said:

I see he's taken them down to his comfort zone of 13th place. Get used to it Sunderland.

I suspect their Board and fans won't stand for that.

It's why Mowbray had a face like thunder for his last 6 months here when it was clear the Venkys weren't going to re-new his contract. He's never had it so good and he knew it. 

• Like 4

• Backroom

Yep, Mowbray had it good here - in every respect. A few grumblings on a message board were treated like an affront to his dignity by his numerous supporters, let alone anything being said at the ground where he had flags waving with his face imposed upon them. A truly bizarre cult of personality that I'm so glad is gone. 

• Like 7

Reading some of their post match comments posted on our championship thread it seems they’ve definitely figured him out and quickly as well. Telling folk he’s a working class family man was enough for plenty here but it’s clearly not washing in Sunderland.

Waffle, deflection and never taking personal accountability. If they’re sharpening their knives now then I can’t wait for what happens after the post Xmas death spiral. With some of the incendiary remarks he made here and got off I hope he gets some grief up there. 

• Like 3

Sunderland may well be in midtable. But much of that is thanks to Alex Neil. Mowbray got a couple of results early doors but their form has dropped off a cliff since. They'd be far worse off if you extrapolated their form under Mowbray over the course of the season. 

They're dropping like a stone. I imagine he'll string together a few results at some point. I don't expect them to drop but certainly flirt with it if he lasts the season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't know why Sunderland fans think they should be higher in the league. They just got promotion and being mid table in your first season is a good first season in my opinion unless you invest massively 

I think it's more the nature of their losses rather than being higher in the league, from what I've read at least. And Mowbray up to his usual bullshitting self.

• Like 1

Oh Mogga you old goat, you'll never learn.

And that was the most infuriating thing for me - in the modern game you need to be able adapt and mix up your approach, he just treats the lads like his kids and lets them get on with it which is why he'll never manage in the Prem.

Totally got away with hugely under performing here so I look forward to his melt down in the North East as it looks like a lot of them have worked him out already. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That might be on paper but in their heads it’s still 40,000+ every week. I have a pal who’s from Sunderland.

time they get realistic and look how long it took them to get promoted from league 1

15 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Didn't take long for the Sunderland faithful to see that he is a total dick head.

Just wait until their strikers get back and he sells them off in January because they don't play with strikers anymore. 

Mowbray has limited involvement in transfers and contracts there

• Backroom

They're seeing their team rapidly regress, so obviously they're worried. It's gotten so bad that I actually read them saying, with all seriousness, that any potential success this season revolves around Corry Evans starting. Scary stuff if you're a Sunderland fan. 

Mowbray rocked up here just after we had been subjected to one of the worst managers in our history, Steve Kean aside. A bloke who thought five-a-sides and donut Thursdays were the key to success. It would have been almost impossible not to improve on that. By comparison, Alex Neil is a decent manager who had Sunderland on an upwards trajectory. Mowbray is taking on a very different task, and I don't think it's going to end well for him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DE. said:

They're seeing their team rapidly regress, so obviously they're worried. It's gotten so bad that I actually read them saying, with all seriousness, that any potential success this season revolves around Corry Evans starting. Scary stuff if you're a Sunderland fan. 

Well when both strikers are out injured what do you expect and you don't sign another striker in the summer. 

Plus Alex Neil left there for reasons aswell cos I think Sunderland have as much potential as Stoke.