BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

Thats just Mowbrays personality, it doesnt mean that he doesnt care. You could argue that one of Jones' weakness is his inability at times to control his emotions. Many successful managers are reserved and many poor managers are animated. Thats not the issue.

Totally agree on not limiting ourselves to a specific age/criteria of manager though. Especially a flawed idea of dynamic.

• Like 1

6/10

Promotions are rare - 6 in my lifetime - so kudos to any manager who gave me a one in ten season. Stagnated last couple of years but all the “worst manager ever” comments shows to me how social media atrophies people’s brains: Quigley, Iley, Kidd, Ince and Kean were all far, far worse.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Chaddy, of course, you can listen to whoever you like. However, I just want to say there are fans out there who will spin any crap they can because they want to sound intellectual and are looking for a job in football. I only say this because I suspect you take some of your views from these people. You know who I am talking about. If I am wrong, I apologise.

I personally do not pay any interest in what they have to say. The eye test shows us all how shit we have been. Yet xG battle wins and all sorts of other stats are being put forward to try and defend Mowbray and put a positive slant on the crap we are seeing. Last season during our abysmal 2 in 17 run the same people were talking about how it's statistically the best we've ever played, the most possession we've ever had and so on. The same people were bigging up Pickering as being the best thing since sliced bread.

These people use buzzwords such as dynamic coach and all the other jargon, they put forward L1 players we could sign, analyse data and defend Mowbray because they are after a job in football. Anybody who demands better than the crap we see is negative and spoilt.

I call these fans out (not you, Chaddy) because these type of fans enable mediocrity, make apologies for Mowbray and help to keep Rovers down in the mud.

It’s an interesting slant on the happy clappers theme. I have never really thought that deeply about why some people post positives all the time. Say it as you see it is my view and no harm in criticism, if it seems that things are wrong. In my view some people at the club, are causing damage and need to be potted.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t think the Dinosaur criticism is accurate…

A dinosaur would be playing long balls up to Sam Gallagher in the box. Mowbray has Gallagher hugging the touchline.

A dinosaur would want his centre halves concentrating on booting balls away from danger areas. Mowbray has them all failing to channel their inner Beckenbauer.

A dinosaur would want his full backs defending wide areas, not being the focal point of the attack.

A dinosaur would have his best ball playing midfielder deep enough to pick the ball up from the defenders and play it through to the forwards. Mowbray has Buckley so advanced there is never anyone to pass to, apart from the opposition keeper.

A dinosaur would think attackers do their most important work between the posts. Mowbray thinks they are better served by the corner flag.

A dinosaur would bring a middle aged Bradley Johnson on to shore up the midfield. Mowbray last used him to buzz around upfront, chasing loose balls and closing down defenders.

A dinosaur would look at their players pragmatically and play to their strengths. Mowbray looks at his players and desperately tries to make them do things that don’t come naturally to them.

A dinosaur would have us utilising throw ins to our advantage. Under Mowbray we concede possession from them all the time.

A dinosaur believes in rigid tactics and formations. Mowbray tells us he doesn’t believe in them at all.

A dinosaur would be thick skinned. He’d defend his players in public, be protective of them and shoulder criticism on their behalf. Mowbray deflects, throws his players under the bus, gets stroppy, and claims 27 year olds are babies.

A dinosaur would build a solid defence as the foundation of his team. Mowbray has stumbled across one after 5 years of trying, which will be decimated in a months time.

He’s not a dinosaur, he’s a failing wannabe innovator.

It’s a shame the decision makers at the club are ostriches. People in positions of power are damaging the club. It’s a free ride for far too many, who are not doing their job and don’t care about the future of the club either. 
Mowbray has got away with far too much for far too long and it’s about time the club was run properly.

The latest trust letter will no doubt go ignored and the crucial decision on the manager, come the end of this season, is highly likely to end up with an appointment based on the wrong criteria, a la cheap, or from the usual connections.

If only the owners had 10% of the passion, some fans have, we would be fine, but sadly, they want to carry on throwing money at it, in the same ostrich type fashion too.

Clueless from top to bottom, is the current theme and this is likely to continue this way for the foreseeable future.

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lraC said:

It’s a shame the decision makers at the club are ostriches. People in positions of power are damaging the club. It’s a free ride for far too many, who are not doing their job and don’t care about the future of the club either. 
Mowbray has got away with far too much for far too long and it’s about time the club was run properly.

The latest trust letter will no doubt go ignored and the crucial decision on the manager, come the end of this season, is highly likely to end up with an appointment based on the wrong criteria, a la cheap, or from the usual connections.

If only the owners had 10% of the passion, some fans have, we would be fine, but sadly, they want to carry on throwing money at it, in the same ostrich type fashion too.

Clueless from top to bottom, is the current theme and this is likely to continue this way for the foreseeable future.

IMHO it will continue that way as long as we are owned by the current owners ....... whomever they may really be.

The ownership is happy to be in the Championship for reasons that I have no understanding of .... and the relegation to L1 caused a panic to their 'model'.

• Like 6

It was odd that it took relegation to league 1 to provoke them into any kind of action it seemed like a penny had finally dropped. Been stuck in the slot again ever since though.

Not defending their lack of action but it might not be far from the realms of reality that they were totally sold on Mowbrays 'journey' plan.  Since then they've let him get on with it and provided within reason most things hes asked for and taken his advice on spending/not spending.

Then he's run us to the wire with FFP again and the pandemic on top of it has let us where we are now. Ironically all that has left us with a better team but it's clear despite the injuries etc it's being miss used again in recent months. 

Biggest summer since Lambert left now approaching and god only knows which way it will go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

It was odd that it took relegation to league 1 to provoke them into any kind of action it seemed like a penny had finally dropped. Been stuck in the slot again ever since though.

Not defending their lack of action but it might not be far from the realms of reality that they were totally sold on Mowbrays 'journey' plan.  Since then they've let him get on with it and provided within reason most things hes asked for and taken his advice on spending/not spending.

Then he's run us to the wire with FFP again and the pandemic on top of it has let us where we are now. Ironically all that has left us with a better team but it's clear despite the injuries etc it's being miss used again in recent months. 

Biggest summer since Lambert left now approaching and god only knows which way it will go. 

I'm not claiming to be the Almighty but I can tell you exactly how it is going to go. We will someone on the managerial scrapheap reject pile from a certain agency will get the job and we will continue to tank. The only uncertainty is whether that reject is TM of some other incompetent. Either way the slow decline will continue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Really? You're not sure which way it will go? After 11 years of it, I don't see the pattern changing. It's been all downhill since they arrived, so I'm wavering towards another decline as that's all it ever is. 

• Like 6

Found this on Twitter, posted by a Cov fan 5 years ago who has since retweeted it in response to a post about our dire form since the turn of the year:

Mowbray's average points, first 23 games v remainder;
Middlesbrough 11/12 - 1.91 vs 1.13
12/13 - 1.75 vs 0.78
Coventry 15/16 - 1.87 vs 0.9

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Found this on Twitter, posted by a Cov fan 5 years ago who has since retweeted it in response to a post about our dire form since the run of the year:

12/13 - 1.75 vs 0.78

The trust could point this sort of thing out and plenty of other things too, such as how the ground is falling apart and how to avoid players contracts down and allowing them to leave for nothing.

Of course the chances are, their calls for some dialogue will be ignored and they will bumble along, making the same mistakes, with whoever fills the hot seat next.

It could be called receiving bad advice, but when good advice is on offer, free of charge, but it is ignored, you have to wonder if it is being done on purpose, or someone other than the owners, does not want to come to the table and be exposed.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 10:53, Sparks Rover said:

The 2 examples I gave of poor signings are permanent, contracts for crap

Loans have been 50/50...

Elliott - ok for half a season 
Harwood Belllis - Wharton should have been  in, he did OK.
Khadra - jury out
JPVH - decent
Tosin - not for me
Harrison Reed - misused
Branthwaite - poor
Giles - poor

Sorry mate, he should have gone years ago...if he gets another deal I won't be going.

Well that isn't a very good comparison then is it....  The two players you referred at Preston and Forest are loan signings from PL clubs, so surely best to make the comparison with the loans we've had. 

Your list above... I'd probably agree with most, certainly not Tosin who's excellent.  I'd probably put Giles down as 'misused' rather than poor... TM trying to get him to play RW has been ridiculous.  I'd also argue Elliott was misused to an extent as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending TM - this isn't me trying to justify he continues as Rover manager.  I just think of all the elements of his managerial tenure, his loan signings probably haven't been so bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Really? You're not sure which way it will go? After 11 years of it, I don't see the pattern changing. It's been all downhill since they arrived, so I'm wavering towards another decline as that's all it ever is. 

If i had to put my last quid on it i'd probably plump for things staying as they are and the messiah and co getting new deals.

And a very underwhelming follow up to this lively season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If i had to put my last quid on it i'd probably plump for things staying as they are and the messiah and co getting new deals.

And a very underwhelming follow up to this lively season.

That's how I see it.

A win or 2 leaving us just outside the playoffs, progress reported and a new contract for a term of his choosing. Rinse and repeat for the same outcome or worse in future.

Anyway we are not far of finding out.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Found this on Twitter, posted by a Cov fan 5 years ago who has since retweeted it in response to a post about our dire form since the turn of the year:

12/13 - 1.75 vs 0.78

How can the owners/employers of any multi million pound business just ignore stats like these 🤯 unless championship mediocrity is the aim. 

Personally I do think that is very much the aim! As the real cretins pulling the strings behind the scenes can get away with a lot more down here in the shadows outside of the Premier league spotlight. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StubbsUK said:

That is funny 😂😂

But tbf I actually have a lot of sympathy for Gallagher, he's just another player that's been badly managed and used over the last few years by Tony! but he had a lot of potential when we signed him,also his price tag was higher than it should have been, but again that's not his fault, just another shoddy deal. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

How can the owners/employers of any multi million pound business just ignore stats like these 🤯 unless championship mediocrity is the aim. 

Personally I do think that is very much the aim! As the real cretins pulling the strings behind the scenes can get away with a lot more down here in the shadows outside of the Premier league spotlight. 

....... and more turnover (income, agent fees etc etc etc) than in League 1

• Like 1

This from the BBC website this evening, in relation to the Champions League..

20:27

Post update

Bayern Munich 0-0 Villarreal

Another cross, this time Geronimo Rulli in the Villarreal goal is up to punch away. This is like watching Blackburn in the mid 1990s - Ripley and Wilcox hanging them up all day long.

Makes you want to puke, how far we have descended from FOOTBALL & JOY at Ewood..

Having a worse record (second half of last season) than Owen Coyle. Along with several worst ever club records this season. Should have been sacked countless times.

Awful football. Awful manager. Nice enough bloke.

5 more games and he can ride off into the sunset "back home".

5 years completely wasted.

• Like 6

On 10/04/2022 at 06:32, arbitro said:

It's curious how Damien Johnson appears to have been ostracised by Mowbray. At one time he had a decent presence in the Technical Area but I can't remember the last time I saw him not sat down. Instead we have Benson showing the oncoming substitutes the flip charts (btw what the fuck is that all about) on the touchline. In fact it was funny yesterday when one of the substitutes was ready to come on. The board went up, the player was ready and Benson appeared to show him diagrams of who knows what. It only delayed the change for a few seconds but once again it looked Blackburn Sunday League level.

He probably called Mowbray out and is being shafted.  If we the fans see it assistant coaches and the players do. Hard to give your best when you don't believe in what you are doing because you know it's stupid.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, martonrover said:

A pity one of these so called journalists doesn't confront him with the stats of his post Christmas collapses at Rovers, Cov and Boro.

Ha ha that's the funniest thing iv'e heard on here in a while.

All they want to do is turn his words into print they don't want to be sweeping bits of eggshell off their shoes. After his ego has gone bang at the slightest prod.

• Like 5