BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Nice bit of research Jimmy, but why hasn't the better half got you putting up some shelving or painting a fence this sunny bank holiday weekend?

I've just looked at the side he took up as Champions:

West Brom: Kiely, Hoefkens, Barnett, Clement (Albrechtsen 53), Robinson (Moore 72), Koren, Gera, Brunt, Greening, Bednar (Kim 46), Phillips.
Subs Not Used: Miller, Morrison.

I'd wager the entire was wasn't worth much more £25m back then let alone the bench!

Anyway must run, another fence panel to paint......

I think that West Brom team reached the FA Cup semis or quarters, as well as winning the league for Mowbray, back in around 2008.

It is some team with a mix of flair and strength, though, clearly lacking in a midfield enforcer and failed badly in the Prem. James Morrison not making it into the side says it all as, I recall, he went on to be a very useful Prem player and played for Scotland.

But you make a very convincing point that, as well as a less tactically varied era, Mowbray had money to spend. Though, he made some smart loan moves in Bednar, Miller and Marc-Antoine Fortune too. He also, as you mention, overhauled the squad when big names like Koumas and Kamara were sold.

Edited by riverholmes

10 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

The new hotel will be a tent pitch, show your support pay 50 quid to pitch a tent up on match day. Get your photo on our camping wall for another 200 quid 

It’s going to be a mobile home site. You can rock up with your caravan and get a pitch side view. When you fall asleep your bed is only a few steps away.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Correct, starting Edun was a strange one given his lack of game time but once he’d decided to sub him it should have been done straight away.

I picked in my team before the game but after his booking it was a car crash waiting to happen. Mowbray should have been more proactive and made the sub straight away

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav said:

I agree with your main point, but we aren’t paying Mowbray big wages, that’s why he’s here, because he fits the Venky model of being cheap and available. 

Any idea what kind of wages TM is on compared to other Championship managers?

I've never had TM down as the cheap solution. More that Venkys went to their favourite agency and said... "Who is available with a promotion on their CV?" No other questions asked.

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I picked in my team before the game but after his booking it was a car crash waiting to happen. Mowbray should have been more proactive and made the sub straight away

Absolutely right. He was having a nightmare and his poor touch killed him several times. As soon as he received his first booking it was completely inevitable and blindingly obvious he was going to be sent off.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, booth said:

I've never had TM down as the cheap solution. More that Venkys went to their favourite agency and said... "Who is available with a promotion on their CV?" No other questions asked.

Well we have the 8th or 9th highest paid set of directors in this league and long gone are the days these types earned more than managers.

Venus also seems to fill multiple rolls or should i say he's had multiple job titles so he won't be on peanuts either.

1 hour ago, booth said:

I don't know what TM is on, but the way the clubs run it will be peanuts.

Allardyce was on over £1m a season.

Rat signed a deal after the Wigan away game which increased his salary to £1.5m (But reduced his compensation package substantially) I want to throw up........

Berg and Appleton were on £400/£500k, Berg took us to the high court get his compensation, Appleton threatened legal proceedings and was paid his.

Bowyer was cheap as chips, coach proving himself and Paul Lambert thought the promises made by the club were to good to be true and wisely inserted a clause to leave if they never followed through on the rebuilding plan/money, which he triggered in no time after Venkys refused to offer new contracts to key staff and stopped answering his calls.

Coyle undercut Warnocks pay demands and was given the job, Coyle offered to also work with no transfer budget, I think Warnock is on record as saying he wanted £1m.

To put things into perspective, the highest paid Championship manager in 2020 was on £3.6m a year, the average managerial wage was £800k. We have learned over the weekend that Dyche was on £7m a season and he'll be one of the worst paid in the division. 

Mowbray will be on peanuts, we are a pound shop football club these days and the next man will be unemployed and willing to work for nowt.

Edited by Gav

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

I don't know what TM is on, but the way the clubs run it will be peanuts.

Allardyce was on over £1m a season.

Rat signed a deal after the Wigan away game which increased his salary to £1.5m (But reduced his compensation package substantially) I want to throw up........

Berg and Appleton were on £400/£500k, Berg took us to the high court get his compensation, Appleton threatened legal proceedings and was paid his.

Bowyer was cheap as chips, coach proving himself and Paul Lambert thought the promises made by the club were to good to be true and wisely inserted a clause to leave if they never followed through on the rebuilding plan/money, which he triggered in no time after Venkys refused to offer new contracts to key staff and stopped answering his calls.

Coyle undercut Warnocks pay demands and was given the job, Coyle offered to also work with no transfer budget, I think Warnock is on record as saying he wanted £1m.

To put things into perspective, the highest paid Championship manager in 2020 was on £3.6m a year, the average managerial wage was £800k. We have learned over the weekend that Dyche was on £7m a season and he'll be one of the worst paid in the division. 

Mowbray will be on peanuts, we are a pound shop football club these days and the next man will be unemployed and willing to work for nowt.

Dyche was one of the highest paid. That’s why the decision to sack him after giving him such a massive contract is right up there with Venkys greatest hits.

His sacking is going to cost Burnley over £15m.

• Like 1

Facts don't matter to Gav lads.

This club will pay out somewhere between 1 and 2 million per year for Mowbray and Venus combined, double that when you add in the rest of the coaching staff and directors.

It is anything but peanuts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Facts don't matter to Gav lads.

This club will pay out somewhere between 1 and 2 million per year for Mowbray and Venus combined, double that when you add in the rest of the coaching staff and directors.

It is anything but peanuts.

Post you facts tomphil, the stage is yours.

Edited by Gav

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

Post you facts tomphil, the stage is yours.

You post your assumptions and people give you the facts to counter it so i don't need to really, besides  i already did over the WBA stuff. 

If you only want to believe what YOU believe then fair enough.

BERG SUED FOR A PAY OFF OF 2.65 million after 57 days of a 3 year deal.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Absolutely right. He was having a nightmare and his poor touch killed him several times. As soon as he received his first booking it was completely inevitable and blindingly obvious he was going to be sent off.

Yup. Said to the wife at the time of that first yellow that he'd walk before half time.  He was just well off the pace.  Clearly Mowbray knew it too.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

amazingly stupid and incompetent to put a player in an important match when he`s not played since january

That’s Mowbray death spirals all over, like Buckley as a false 9 or Johnson up front. Muddled thinking with no ability to see the obvious and act on it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, booth said:

Dyche was one of the highest paid. That’s why the decision to sack him after giving him such a massive contract is right up there with Venkys greatest hits.

His sacking is going to cost Burnley over £15m.

Yep. I’m pretty sure I read that he was the highest paid person at the dingles full stop. Player or coach. 

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he got rid of jason lowe and hope akpan,other than that the list is pretty short

Didn't he offer new terms to Lowe who thought he could do better elsewhere?

Akpan is just one of those names/faces erased from my memory banks as soon as he lumbered away from Ewood.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Didn't he offer new terms to Lowe who thought he could do better elsewhere?

Akpan is just one of those names/faces erased from my memory banks as soon as he lumbered away from Ewood.

no,after half a season even mowbray realised lowe was useless and released him when his contract was up,all in all his player recruitment has been ok,it`s just where he plays them,i first started to have concerns when he used to put bennett at full back,he was a good crosser of the ball but a poor defender,what does tony do,puts him where his weakness was repeatedly exposed!!!😥

• Like 3

The problem is that assuming Mowbray leaves, which needs to happen now for all concerned, I don't think we will be much further along than we were before he arrived, other than we won't be staring down the barrel of relegation to League One (yet).

His time in charge has been a clear improvement on that of his immediate predecessor, but there has always been and will always be that potential cliff edge of when he departs. Because that is going to happen sooner rather than later in the modern day world of the Championship and when it does the foolishness of our policy will become clear. The owners have learned nothing because they've once again allowed the manager to become the central figure at the club around whom all revolves, they've allowed him to appoint the CEO and all the staff and determine the strategy of the Club. 

Once he goes it all risks collapsing very quickly under these owners. That doesn't mean we should just offer him a job for life to avoid that scenario, because we might as well give up and go home if we are thinking along those lines - where results and performance are secondary to fear of making a change - no point in any of this if you are in that boat.

But the reality will be that we won't really have a squad of players. Once we lose all the loanees and out of contract players we are going to be short on proven quality of any significant value. Other than Brereton, who will have to be sold, and some value in Kaminski, Wharton, Travis and yes Gallagher, there isn't going to be much else in the investment portfolio. 

Whoever is in charge is going to have to work very quickly and very effectively to build a squad capable of competing in this division. That could and should be an opportunity for someone, particularly at a club with no big earners and with millions coming in from Armstrong and Brereton sales, but here the money will disappear and confusion will reign.

We've still got Venkys and shadow man running the show, the same people who put us in the position Mowbray inherited in 2017 and I see little to no evidence anything has changed other than they stumbled across a competent manager who was willing to play it their way to get a job here.

So no - I don't think the Club is going to be in much of a better position on or off the field and probably won't be until we are rid of these rancid owners. We might not be on the cusp of League One but we will be if they don't deal with this summer properly including appointing a proper manager, backing him with some money and letting him get on with the job.

• Like 4