BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’ve read that Mowbray’s contract is up at the end of June. What betting that unless he throws in the towel that we won’t hear anything before then?

Yes, that would be typical of the totally shambolic way the owners operate, and would leave us in serious trouble in preparing for next season.

But, hey, we have been assured that the future is bright and things are changing  🙄

• Like 1

Not sure whether to be elated or very worried with Mike E's titbit.

After all it was the Lambert great reset that set off the relegation chain of events and added more millions in pay offs to the debt mountain.

To be fair to Tony Mowbray the only real reset we've had under Venkys was with him. Easy to forget that in all the angst now although it doesn't change the fact he should have been gone a while ago.

If it's a total rebuild job of backroom and team then they need to think very carefully this time. Also it will need proper financial backing not a team thrown together in July/August

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’ve read that Mowbray’s contract is up at the end of June. What betting that unless he throws in the towel that we won’t hear anything before then?

I have no doubts Gavlar, in fact, I expect it to work out like that. 

There is literally no value in doing it though. Just pay him what they would pay him anyway after the last game of the season and wave him off.

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Yes, that would be typical of the totally shambolic way the owners operate, and would leave us in serious trouble in preparing for next season.

But, hey, we have been assured that the future is bright and things are changing  🙄

7th May: season ends

7th May - 30th June: Mowbray in limbo as to whether he’ll be invited to Pune or not. He’ll hang on for dear life in the hope that his Mrs’ lemon drizzle is good enough to land him a new deal.

Early July: some half-arsed press release with a statement saying Mowbray has gone or has signed a new deal.

Early July - start of the season in early August: massive scramble for half a squad, potentially a new Manager and a whole new coaching team. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 9

38 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

7th May: season ends

7th May - 30th June: Mowbray in limbo as to whether he’ll be invited to Pune or not. He’ll hang on for dear life in the hope that his Mrs’ lemon drizzle is good enough to land him a new deal.

Early July: some half-arsed press release with a statement saying Mowbray has gone or has signed a new deal.

Early July - start of the season in early August: massive scramble for half a squad, potentially a new Manager and a whole new coaching team. 

When do you think season tickets will go on sale ?

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

One thing I can say with some confidence, although I probably need to put 'allegedly':

Venus is apparently already actively looking for work elsewhere AND without Mowbray.

With another (albeit not confirmable) tidbit from the same source, I'm more confident than ever that none of Mowbray, Venus, Park, Lowe (possibly Benson) will be at Ewood next season.

This source is under the impression that 'reset' similar to Lambert's appointment is on the cards, albeit he won't say any names. He HAS touted Ainsworth repeatedly in the past so I'm personally choosing to put 2+2 together on that.

Edit: rigger's post above is one to keep an eye on.

I think Mowbray is going to retire at the end of the season, shame is park goes mind 

• Like 1

I can't see Mowbray retiring he's too much of a football guy but he really does need a break that much is obvious.

Maybe he has personal stuff going on but if he did call it a day i'm sure he'd be back before long.  He has a lot to offer the right kind of club if he can find one that is happy developing players in the middle of a division.

As long as they are capable of getting enough points before Christmas of course.

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

This source is under the impression that 'reset' similar to Lambert's appointment is on the cards, albeit he won't say any names. 

The problem with the ‘reset’ which saw Lambert employed as manager, accounted to nothing more than promises of funds to revamp the club from top to bottom, promises that were reneged upon by the owners within a month of him taking charge. Lambert walked in quick time and I have nothing but respect for him doing that.

This doesn’t get any better until the owners sod off.

• Like 9

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Gav said:

The problem with the ‘reset’ which saw Lambert employed as manager, accounted to nothing more than promises of funds to revamp the club from top to bottom, promises that were reneged upon by the owners within a month of him taking charge. Lambert walked in quick time and I have nothing but respect for him doing that.

This doesn’t get any better until the owners sod off.

Agreed. For all the hopeful noises, they're ONLY hopeful. Venkys' record speaks for itself and cannot inspire confidence.

• Like 8

to be fair to venkys,they have backed mowbray very well financially and have kept away from the place,unfortunately they backed a manager who is and never was  going to take us any further,lets hope the next guy in charge is backed as well as mowbray,i could name half a dozen managers who would have done a lot better than mowbray with the transfer funds he`s had

• Like 3

I'm sticking with my prediction that there are two ways this works out, neither of which I'm happy with or will result in a good outcome for the club.

The first is that Mowbray wants to stay, or is open minded but would be willing to stay. If so then I expect to hear about him and Waggott being on a plane to India within 2-3 weeks of the Birmingham game. Then we'll have another couple of weeks of silence whilst he is out there doing whatever it is he does and we speculate day in day out about what is happening. Then he comes back and goes on holiday with his family and Rich Sharpe patiently waits for news. By this point we are well into June and recruitment/preparation has gone nowhere, the scars of this season have started to heal and have been consigned to the memory bin. Then we find out he is staying, the owners are committed, he's determined to go one better, keep things moving, excited for what the future holds etc. etc. and on we go same old same old.

The alternative is that Mowbray has decided he's had enough, or makes that decision in the coming days/weeks, or (very unlikely) he has a better offer elsewhere that he is going to take. In which case we still have weeks and weeks of silence and uncertainty but instead of the manager speaking to the owners we have Pasha. Cheston and others raiding the bargain basement friendly agent aisle for a new manager to come in and work with the existing staff at short notice for buttons. Or alternatively they just promote Johnson and save on the hassle of searching. Then the new guy doesn't have time or opportunity to go to India and secure backing from the owners so instead we get another summer of loans and cheap signings. And on we go.

The third way - that Venkys have made a decision on Mowbray's future, or that a 'reset' is being planned, or that a remotely exciting management team is going to be brought in to take us forward - I think is unlikely to say the least.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

to be fair to venkys,they have backed mowbray very well financially and have kept away from the place,unfortunately they backed a manager who is and never was  going to take us any further,lets hope the next guy in charge is backed as well as mowbray,i could name half a dozen managers who would have done a lot better than mowbray with the transfer funds he`s had

Backed very well financially? Certainly wouldnt say that.

• Like 1

In the interests of clarity to those who are addressing the WBA rumour. I’m pretty sure it’s come from a few of people on here who were all sat in a carriage en route to the Coventry game a few weeks ago with Joe Rothwells Dad. He said the following:

- Bournemouth had bid £3.5m rising to £6m if they were promoted for JR at Christmas. - Mowbray wanted the cash at Christmas to strengthen and Venkys refused it.

- JR has a x4 wage increase offer on the table with Bournemouth vs Rovers offer.

- The general training / coaching at Rovers is average

- Venus deals with the contracts but is a troublemaker

- Venus on behalf of Mowbray is advising the out of contract players not to sign deals with any other clubs because they’re going to WBA in the summer and could offer them a better one.

This is what Rothwells Dad said. Full transparency. Make what you want of it…the two or three posters on here who’ve passed that info are just the messengers. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

In the interests of clarity to those who are addressing the WBA rumour. I’m pretty sure it’s come from a few of people on here who were all sat in a carriage en route to the Coventry game a few weeks ago with Joe Rothwells Dad. He said the following:

- Bournemouth had bid £3.5m rising to £6m if they were promoted for JR at Christmas. - Mowbray wanted the cash at Christmas to strengthen and Venkys refused it.

- JR has a x4 wage increase offer on the table with Bournemouth vs Rovers offer.

- The general training / coaching at Rovers is average

- Venus deals with the contracts but is a troublemaker

- Venus on behalf of Mowbray is advising the out of contract players not to sign deals with any other clubs because they’re going to WBA in the summer and could offer them a better one.

This is what Rothwells Dad said. Full transparency. Make what you want of it…the two or three posters on here who’ve passed that info are just the messengers. 

Id guess Mowbray will forever more use the "Rothwell saga" as our downfall as his self defence. As much as I'm not a Mowbray fan, anybody talking to Mowbray who isn't well versed in Rovers would easily be led to pointing out Rothwells form before all this happened in comparison to after the owners intervention.

I'm sure Mowbray would be able to spin a great story on who he had lined up to take us forward with the cash too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

This season definitely not.

Last season arguable but still brought 12 players through the door with no crowds in the stadium.

Backed in league one.And given 15 million to spend on 3 attackers in the space of 12 months is certainly being backed.Add all the other players he has brought in in that time.Loans still cost.

Over his time here he has been backed.Backed more than a lot of other managers in this division.

And Ffp had to be taken into consideration 

Screenshot_2022-04-21-06-43-59-33_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'm sticking with my prediction that there are two ways this works out, neither of which I'm happy with or will result in a good outcome for the club.

The first is that Mowbray wants to stay, or is open minded but would be willing to stay. If so then I expect to hear about him and Waggott being on a plane to India within 2-3 weeks of the Birmingham game. Then we'll have another couple of weeks of silence whilst he is out there doing whatever it is he does and we speculate day in day out about what is happening. Then he comes back and goes on holiday with his family and Rich Sharpe patiently waits for news. By this point we are well into June and recruitment/preparation has gone nowhere, the scars of this season have started to heal and have been consigned to the memory bin. Then we find out he is staying, the owners are committed, he's determined to go one better, keep things moving, excited for what the future holds etc. etc. and on we go same old same old.

The alternative is that Mowbray has decided he's had enough, or makes that decision in the coming days/weeks, or (very unlikely) he has a better offer elsewhere that he is going to take. In which case we still have weeks and weeks of silence and uncertainty but instead of the manager speaking to the owners we have Pasha. Cheston and others raiding the bargain basement friendly agent aisle for a new manager to come in and work with the existing staff at short notice for buttons. Or alternatively they just promote Johnson and save on the hassle of searching. Then the new guy doesn't have time or opportunity to go to India and secure backing from the owners so instead we get another summer of loans and cheap signings. And on we go.

The third way - that Venkys have made a decision on Mowbray's future, or that a 'reset' is being planned, or that a remotely exciting management team is going to be brought in to take us forward - I think is unlikely to say the least.

Pretty much nails it for me as well. 

The only things you can be sure of is, nothing will happen quickly, Venkys won't be proactively dealing with the situation and we will waste a load of much needed time, no matter what happens.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not true, people can't see past the Diaz and Gallagher transfers, where he was exceptionally backed to the amazement of everyone in the fanbase, but that was years ago. Posters will point to wages, everyone pays wages, many in this league better than we do, its been one massive dumbing down exercise over the past 3yrs to the point where we are still haemorrhaging money, but the likes of Millwall and PNE are paying higher wages!

Where was the Armstarong money in January to bring some quality in? 

Why wouldn't the owners allow Mowbray to cash in on the awful Rothwell, who has clearly downed tools since his move to Bournemouth fell through? 

The buck stops with these owners and it always will, regardless of which no mark walks through the door next and starts a 3yrs building job with no budget.

Venkys Out.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Its not true, people can't see past the Diaz and Gallagher transfers, where he was exceptionally backed to the amazement of everyone in the fanbase, but that was years ago. Posters will point to wages, everyone pays wages, many in this league better than we do, its been one massive dumbing down exercise over the past 3yrs to the point where we are still haemorrhaging money, but the likes of Millwall and PNE are paying higher wages!

Why wouldn't the owners allow Mowbray to cash in on the awful Rothwell, who has clearly downed tools since his move to Bournemouth fell through? 

The buck stops with these owners and it always will, regardless of which no mark walks through the door next and starts a 3yrs building job with no budget.

Venkys Out.

The wage bill this season will be about half of what it was last year having got rid of all those high earning senior players contracts last summer. We have been fortunate that we’ve had a good crop of first team standard youngsters to call upon, but our mismanagement of contracts means we are failing to implement a sound long term strategy.

Its either feast or famine with wages, depending how far along we are on the old FFP cycle at any given time. The likes of Nyambe and Rothwell have suffered while Mulgrew and Smallwood benefitted. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Venkys Out.

The owners are shit anyone with any sense agrees with that statement.

But it wasn't only Gallagher and Brererton.Add Arma that is a 15 million outlay alone.

Loans cost money too.

Ayala and Johnson given decent deals ,both players on more money than our highest earners at their previous club.Players who have added nothing really.

He also gave new deals to Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans etc when they weren't the standard required.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and although I probably agree with you regarding Rothwell up to that point he had been one of our players of the season and most the fan base would have been up in arms selling him to a direct rival at the time in Bournemouth and the owners would have been criticized for selling him if our season had fallen  away like it has.

He has had enough money to have built something better.

• Like 4

No offence towards @Paul Manibut the Rothwell Dad story if true, is a remarkable blunder on his Dad's part. Which is why I struggle to quite believe the info is true.

You can't go round telling people/giving insider betting tips (which it could effectively be seen as). Just ask Kieran Trippier.

May well end up being true, I have no idea. But if West Brom sign Mowbray (after they finish above us) then they're idiots. 

And if those 3 players want to play under Venus and Mowbray again, then they're also idiots.

We'll be fine without all of them.

Edited by Mellor Rover

49 minutes ago, Gav said:

Venkys Out.

This, and this again 100%

Also, the backed financially comments. Forget the Arma/BBD/Gallagher fees, as these were one offs agreed with the thought they'd at least make their money back on them.

The last 6 window's we've spent what? Must be less than 2 million?

We might not have paid many particularly high transfer fees since the likes of Brereton, gallagher, Armstrong, etc... But I'm pretty sure signing players on loan from premiership clubs cost upwards of a few hundred K a piece in total (especially when its exciting attacking players) 

So if you you add up all our loan signings in recent years I figure we've still quietly spent millions per season on bringing them in. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

30 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The owners are shit anyone with any sense agrees with that statement.

But it wasn't only Gallagher and Brererton.Add Arma that is a 15 million outlay alone.

Loans cost money too.

Ayala and Johnson given decent deals ,both players on more money than our highest earners at their previous club.Players who have added nothing really.

He also gave new deals to Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans etc when they weren't the standard required.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and although I probably agree with you regarding Rothwell up to that point he had been one of our players of the season and most the fan base would have been up in arms selling him to a direct rival at the time in Bournemouth and the owners would have been criticized for selling him if our season had fallen  away like it has.

He has had enough money to have built something better.

Regarding the money we would have got for Rothwell - I’m not sure I’d want Mowbray to be spending it if the five we signed in January are anything to go by. He gets more wrong than he gets right in my opinion. I suspect he wanted the lad who went from Peterborough to Bournemouth. I’m not up to speed with his performances there but I don’t see his name on the score sheet very often.

Obviously the plan backfired in one way because Rothwell has done next to nothing since the move broke down.

• Like 3