BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

Not to mention the permanent signings mowbray has made recently have been relatively sheeiiite for example spending around a million on 2 left backs in the space of 6 months, both of which have played poorly and look out of their depth in the championship! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Its not true, people can't see past the Diaz and Gallagher transfers, where he was exceptionally backed to the amazement of everyone in the fanbase, but that was years ago. Posters will point to wages, everyone pays wages, many in this league better than we do, its been one massive dumbing down exercise over the past 3yrs to the point where we are still haemorrhaging money, but the likes of Millwall and PNE are paying higher wages!

Where was the Armstarong money in January to bring some quality in? 

Why wouldn't the owners allow Mowbray to cash in on the awful Rothwell, who has clearly downed tools since his move to Bournemouth fell through? 

The buck stops with these owners and it always will, regardless of which no mark walks through the door next and starts a 3yrs building job with no budget.

Venkys Out.

Wasn't he offered money to spend in January but turned it down because then It would have been one less excuse for failure. Mowbray wants to keep chugging along nicely pulling the wool over people's eyes 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Also, the backed financially comments. Forget the Arma/BBD/Gallagher fees, as these were one offs agreed with the thought they'd at least make their money back on them.

The last 6 window's we've spent what? Must be less than 2 million?

Absolutely. They sanction the occasional big money signing that fits a specific criteria, but there is no way Mowbray has ever been given a decent budget, let alone war chest to spend as he sees fit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Not to mention the permanent signings mowbray has made recently have been relatively sheeiiite for example spending around a million on 2 left backs in the space of 6 months, both of which have played poorly and look out of their depth in the championship! 

He’s signed some really poor left backs in his time here. Only that Cunningham looked half decent and he got crocked.

14 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Also, the backed financially comments. Forget the Arma/BBD/Gallagher fees, as these were one offs agreed with the thought they'd at least make their money back on them.

The last 6 window's we've spent what? Must be less than 2 million?

Irrelevant.

Those fees he spent on those 2 players could have improved the squad overall, but instead Mowbray spunked it on 2 players.

• Like 2

The backing argument is a simple one really.

They gave him some money to invest after promotion which he did. Then for whatever reason, FFP, dismay at the money they'd given him not translating into instant success ?   Probably a combination of those so it was back to topping up the wage bill/losses to allow him to bring players in that way.

Frees, loans and cheapos.

Never forget the academy in all this either which they've funded possibly against advice from him and his pals to downscale it. So compared to big city clubs income or parachute clubs we haven't had a lot but compared to others he's had good tools here to work with.

No different to Bowyer or Lambert either.

Also regarding those and other clubs the biggest point here is he hasn't been to sell one player until AA, facts.

Paying less wages than Preston ?  Give over, this season possibly for first team squad but over his time here no chance.  Ayala, Gallagher, Dack and even Poveda are on 60 grand a week combined easily.  I wish this line would stop being peddled by all means bash the owners but stop this ridiculous notion Mowbray has been badly done to compared to half this division.

Facts don't back it up.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Whichever way you look at it, our position in january was a surprise and in reality to sustain it, we needed to invest in our starting 11, at a time we could of enticed many players. We didn't, we went cautious, we planned for non promotion.

We will also lose a number of players for free now in the summer, Plus the loans. Once again for umpteenth summer we find ourselves having to pretty much rebuild the starting 11.

This is not a business model, its not organic growth, this is ripping up the blue print each summer and starting again. You can point to the players who have come through the ranks, but thats more by necessity than by design/plan. It papers over the lack of vision or real effort to get promoted, and gives the impression of "staying up is deemed success"

I think the goal from day 1 was always to have the club mid table in the second division with a high turnover of playing staff.

Given the known involvement of agents within the club I don't think it is too far fetched to say that it the case.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

In the interests of clarity to those who are addressing the WBA rumour. I’m pretty sure it’s come from a few of people on here who were all sat in a carriage en route to the Coventry game a few weeks ago with Joe Rothwells Dad. He said the following:

- Bournemouth had bid £3.5m rising to £6m if they were promoted for JR at Christmas. - Mowbray wanted the cash at Christmas to strengthen and Venkys refused it.

- JR has a x4 wage increase offer on the table with Bournemouth vs Rovers offer.

- The general training / coaching at Rovers is average

- Venus deals with the contracts but is a troublemaker

- Venus on behalf of Mowbray is advising the out of contract players not to sign deals with any other clubs because they’re going to WBA in the summer and could offer them a better one.

This is what Rothwells Dad said. Full transparency. Make what you want of it…the two or three posters on here who’ve passed that info are just the messengers. 

I'll drive him.

6 hours ago, islander200 said:

This season definitely not.

Last season arguable but still brought 12 players through the door with no crowds in the stadium.

Backed in league one.And given 15 million to spend on 3 attackers in the space of 12 months is certainly being backed.Add all the other players he has brought in in that time.Loans still cost.

Over his time here he has been backed.Backed more than a lot of other managers in this division.

And Ffp had to be taken into consideration 

Screenshot_2022-04-21-06-43-59-33_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Being back "very well financially" was the phrase I disagreed with and I stand by it.

The League 1 season saw a spend of just over a million if I recall which at that level is strong, but that was obviously his most successful season. Overall, assuming a sale of Brereton this summer, we will finish his tenure in profit in terms of transfer fees. 

Once you start saying loans still cost (this summer we had to wait until the end of summer because we couldn't offer to cover a decent part of the wages of youngsters, Mowbray repeatedly said as such) then the alternative would not to have a full squad.

The FFP comment is totally irrelevant to the point I am making, although it is not the primary restricting factor as shown by the owners unwillingness to relay the pitch.

I am not saying that someone else couldn't have spent the money better or anything like that. I just think that because its universally agreed that the collapse is not good enough this season and that the manager needs to go, people start to make out that he has had much more than he has.

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Its not true, people can't see past the Diaz and Gallagher transfers, where he was exceptionally backed to the amazement of everyone in the fanbase, but that was years ago. Posters will point to wages, everyone pays wages, many in this league better than we do, its been one massive dumbing down exercise over the past 3yrs to the point where we are still haemorrhaging money, but the likes of Millwall and PNE are paying higher wages!

Where was the Armstarong money in January to bring some quality in? 

Why wouldn't the owners allow Mowbray to cash in on the awful Rothwell, who has clearly downed tools since his move to Bournemouth fell through? 

The buck stops with these owners and it always will, regardless of which no mark walks through the door next and starts a 3yrs building job with no budget.

Venkys Out.

The awful Rothwell lol

I can recall at least 2 occasions when Mowbray has said that there was money available that wasn't spent and the outstanding one after promotion out of L1 when he told the owners to take it easy, or words to that effect.

He was not consistently scratching around to make ends meet!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

The awful Rothwell lol

Yeh I don't really go along with this idea that Rothwell has been a complete nonentity since February.  He's the only midfielder we have that will actually go and get the ball off the defence.  Travis is a workhorse and a breaker up of play, but he hasn't got a creative bone in his body.   

He might be inconsistent, and like all of our players he hasn't been able to maintain his strong form of the first half of the season, but I don't feel like he's been missing in action.  As I say, he's the only one who consistently shows for the ball, travels with the ball and tries to make things happen.  We were much improved once he came on and actually offered a bit of ball retention vs Stoke. 

Oh, and we'll be worse off without him next season because he'll be bloody difficult to replace. 

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 3

Is this the Mowbray thread or have I got it wrong?..... and apologies if so.

Mowbray served a purpose initially, has long since outstayed his welcome, should have fallen on his sword some time since if he had the degree of personal integrity that we're all supposed to believe and alternatively, should have been 'potted' some time since if the 'powers that be' could see what we all have seen for months. 

The final 'coup de grace' should have been promptly administered after the Stoke debacle, when someone in the JW Lower shouted the question of Mowbray, that he clearly heard: "What will you be doing at the end of the season Tony?"

His reply was "Fucking Off".

Enough said IMO.

• Like 8

They had over a million left in the budget when covid struck it was well documented and Waggot told everybody anyway. Where did that go ?  Probably no further than retaining guys who were never playing on the extra 3 month deals, just in case.

Very handy eh.

Regardless of that though it was money in the pot they could have used but didn't. They've never had any intention of pushing the limits to try and go for it the proof is endless. No more so than this season when unexpectedly finding ourselves in that position the only interest was getting in a few squaddies and rushing through a mate of a mate signing.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Is this the Mowbray thread or have I got it wrong?..... and apologies if so.

Mowbray served a purpose initially, has long since outstayed his welcome, should have fallen on his sword some time since if he had the degree of personal integrity that we're all supposed to believe and alternatively, should have been 'potted' some time since if the 'powers that be' could see what we all have seen for months. 

The final 'coup de grace' should have been promptly administered after the Stoke debacle, when someone in the JW Lower shouted the question of Mowbray, that he clearly heard: "What will you be doing at the end of the season Tony?"

His reply was "Fucking Off".

Enough said IMO.

I'm struggling to decide if you want him in or out?

On twitter you are making a massive case why he shouldnt be sacked, how his outburst was fatigue/out of character, yet on here stating categorically he should be potted.

Burning the candle at both ends and i'm none the wiser which it is?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

The owners are hugely to blame for our problems. However, Mowbray isn't some kind of innocent victim in all of this who has been held back due to the size of the budgets made available to him. He has brought a lot of this upon himself and there is a particular tendency of his that needs highlighting here. This tendency to turn down golden opportunities that come before him.

He set the tone for this in 2018, it's not just based on this January alone. He can talk the talk when it suits, but when presented with a chance to back his talk he wilts and hides and is shown up to be a bluffer.

2018 - Mowbray has a chance to win the L1 title but turns it down.

2018 - Mowbray tells us himself, that the owners want to fund an immediate promotion to the Premier League on the back of coming up from L1. Mowbray turns down the opportunity and says he had to "calm them down". Why? Who in their right mind says no when the owners are willing to get their cheque book out? Especially these owners, you never know when that chance might arise again. Take the damn opportunity!

The owners are sold a "slow build" and a journey that can be done cheaper instead. Despite this, significant money is spent on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher due to their potential resale value. This suggests that money was available if they were to ask for it. Notice how hardly anything has been spent on permanent signings since those three deals. Balaji strikes me as the type to say "ok, you didn't want it when I offered, have it your way now, work with the budget that has been set".

2019 - Mowbray tells the fans at one of the Consultation Meetings that he knows our defenders aren't good enough and that "defenders are coming".

2019 - It's summer time and we have the chance to sign Patrick Bauer on a free. Mowbray messes the deal up by telling Bauer he will have to wait his turn behind Nesta and Cannavaro in our backline. Defenders that he previously suggested weren't good enough (not Nesta and Cannavaro, obviously).

When Bauer doesn't sign for us, we are lied to and told he wanted £40k a week in wages. He signs for Preston days later. £1m is spent on a loan fee for Tosin. A patch up job which would leave us back at square one the following summer. The point is, they gave him £1m for a loanee. Presumably, he sold the merits of signing Tosin to Balaji or Suhail and convinced them. He asked and they paid the fee.

2020/21- At the end of one of the transfer windows Mowbray tells us "we had money left over in the budget, but we chose not to spend it". He CHOSE not to.

2021 - Days before the new season starts Mowbray is asked whether the top 6 is a realistic aim for this season.

His response: "Ha. Listen, we've got a very young side and my role is to educate them on football and to help them to develop and become better footballers and to help them to become better human beings".

2022 - January. 2nd in the league. No strikers signed. No signings made with promotion in mind. Mowbray tells us he was offered Premier League strikers but turned them down. His own words. HE turned them down.

Notice a pattern here? Mowbray turning down chance after chance because he is not a winner, he's a bottler. He has never been interested in taking Rovers back to the Premier League. That has never been the aim. He was spooked by the owners suddenly wanting a double promotion in 2018 and talked them out of it. He was spooked by our position in January 2022 and has said and done nothing since to suggest otherwise. He does not want the expectation, hence his agent labelling us as being entitled and it being "frightening". You've seen nothing yet, Honeyman.

Since our collapse post January we have heard him defiantly say the following:

"I don't regret not buying a striker"

"It hasn't crossed my mind one iota" (promotion that is, despite our position in Jan)

"They are an extraordinarily young side and they've never been the top end of the league before. Maybe the pressure has got to them".

Are you telling me that £10m to spend would make any difference when placed in the hands of such an individual? Not a chance, for me. He doesn't want it. Waggott doesn't want it. They were on the scrapheap before turning up here. Mid table suits them down to the ground. No pressure, no expectation, no spotlight, no scrutiny, just develop and sell on young players. That's the height of their ambition.

These owners are the perfect shield for them as the football world knows they are clueless. Watch him dine out on the "they didn't let me sell Rothwell" line, as if he would have stormed the play offs had he received that money. It's all fluff, a pretence. Him and Waggott are more than happy with the budget situation as it keeps expectation low.

Mowbray is on record as saying he wants to keep working in football so that he can put his kids through Uni (nothing wrong with that). That's exactly what he has been doing here for five years here. He was on his way to Chesterfield before Rovers came in, yet I'm expected to believe that he still wants to manage in the Premier League and that he can take Rovers there. He's been stringing us along.

If the owners had any sense they wouldn't waste another penny on him. Get Farke in and give him a bit to spend. For that to happen though, they would need to cut the snakes out of the equation and that's something that I can't see happening.

Brilliant post and sums up everything perfectly.  Mowbray is a charlatan who shields from venkys with one hand and gives the finger to the fans with the other 

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

On twitter you are making a massive case why he shouldnt be sacked, how his outburst was fatigue/out of character, yet on here stating categorically he should be potted.

I don't do Twitter, Instagram etc.....you've got the wrong guy mate!

For point of clarity, from what I've said on here, what do you think it is?

I'll spell it out for you just in case......O-U_T!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

The thing is this outburst isn’t out of character it’s just the people who have been blind to his obnoxious sulking personality can now see it. If anything has come out of his recent interviews and behaviour it is at least everyone can now see what a few have been saying for years in the face of all this decent honourable bloke tripe. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I don't do Twitter, Instagram etc.....you've got the wrong guy mate!

For point of clarity, from what I've said on here, what do you think it is?

I'll spell it out for you just in case......O-U_T!

My apologies, problem with Aliases you get people mixed up.

OUT loud n clear 🙂

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, matt83 said:

The thing is this outburst isn’t out of character it’s just the people who have been blind to his obnoxious sulking personality can now see it. If anything has come out of his recent interviews and behaviour it is at least everyone can now see what a few have been saying for years in the face of all this decent honourable bloke tripe. 

Agreed

• Like 1