BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

It's a sad state of affairs. A club ownership that, apparently, don't communicate openly with the manager. And a manager playing stupid and petulant in response by refusing to state the obvious that he is has decided to leave, rather than hope for a new deal, because the ownership don't want him.

Mowbray might feel poorly treated but he's had a very fortunate and lucrative run and, I think, should show a bit more grace and intelligence. Either stay quiet and keep the attention on the team and winning. Or, come out and openly say that you're going.

Staying quiet would probably be best because directing attention to himself is probably not in the best interests of the team at this crucial juncture.

Edit: On reflection, the intentional ambiguity about whether he will go may be his way of leaving the door open if Venky's offer him a new deal at the last moment.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The plan that will be action going forward for the summer in terms recruitment good and ambitious manager/head coach that will have a decent transfer/wage budget to spend in the summer and will keep bringing through our young players into the first team and that will see us challenging for promotion next season plus playing the football we seen against PNE which was good to watch and what I have been calling for weeks prior to the game.

Which bit of the statement was bollocks? 

I think youll be shocked when very little if any of that happens under Venkys.

The statement implied that Venkys will keep a keen interest concluding in attending a game this season.

I think everyone has been in agreement after the latest death spiral that we don’t want Mowbray to continue as manager and need someone better in.

I’m wondering though what people think about the idea of Mowbray staying but in some sort of Director of Football role instead?

I know people have questioned some of his signings in the past, but I think he’s actually been really successful in both the loan market and transfer market and has brought through a number of academy players into the first team as well.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You’re having a laugh right? Tell me joking Paul or taking the piss please…..

Haha - I don’t know fuck all other than they had someone lined up last year around March. It fell through for some reason and then a few in here started talking about some masterplan with a new coach and loads of cash…the stuff Glen is talking about. I think Darren Rover or Mercer too?

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The plan that will be action going forward for the summer in terms recruitment good and ambitious manager/head coach that will have a decent transfer/wage budget to spend in the summer and will keep bringing through our young players into the first team and that will see us challenging for promotion next season plus playing the football we seen against PNE which was good to watch and what I have been calling for weeks prior to the game.

Which bit of the statement was bollocks? 

Groundhog Day part 3

20 minutes ago, Miker said:

I think everyone has been in agreement after the latest death spiral that we don’t want Mowbray to continue as manager and need someone better in.

I’m wondering though what people think about the idea of Mowbray staying but in some sort of Director of Football role instead?

I know people have questioned some of his signings in the past, but I think he’s actually been really successful in both the loan market and transfer market and has brought through a number of academy players into the first team as well.

He couldn't direct traffic 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

All I'll say is that the son of the Venkys who went to Uni of Reading (top 20 uni) has some insight and knowledge into football culture.

Is that enough (being educated in the country) to potentially get a crucial job within our already incompetent footballing structure just because of who he is?

• Like 2

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

All I'll say is that the son of the Venkys who went to Uni of Reading (top 20 uni) has some insight and knowledge into football culture.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is that enough (being educated in the country) to potentially get a crucial job within our already incompetent footballing structure just because of who he is?

Spitballing:

A Venky on the ground permanently might not be a bad thing. Actual, direct involvement from the owners at long last.

• Like 4

He's been totally shafted with not knowing what is going on regarding his contract especially after five years of service. It's certainly not what Mowbray deserves.

On the other hand if he was working somewhere with competent people in charge he would have been booted long ago rather than seeing out hi whole contract, which he also does not deserve to have done.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Spitballing:

A Venky on the ground permanently might not be a bad thing. Actual, direct involvement from the owners at long last.

Not from someone who is not remotely qualified and presumably wouldn't have the authority to make decisions anyway. I am not convinced that the main family will ever relinquish or delegate any of the power down.

What's he really up to?

A holy quest for the mystical life balance or a new 5 year contract and design override on his statue?

He's up to a Baldrick, imho

He can quote his mate Klopp as inspiration for signing a new contract.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

He's been totally shafted with not knowing what is going on regarding his contract especially after five years of service. It's certainly not what Mowbray deserves.

On the other hand if he was working somewhere with competent people in charge he would have been booted long ago rather than seeing out hi whole contract, which he also does not deserve to have done.

Yes, I think it’s time the violins were put away. At most other clubs he would’ve been long gone.

Its just not the right way to run a club and, IF, they decide against offering Mowbray a new contract, what happens next, and how long does it take.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Got agree with that it's swings and roundabouts he's done well at times but hes also overseen a few of the worst runs and defeats in the clubs history.

At no other club would that have been the case the fella was ousted at his previous 2 clubs for less.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

If that's what you think will happen, you're in for a shock.

We see shortly won't we? 

But any potential manager after beating PNE would think that's the way to play with these players. Plus bringing through our academy players is already a key part of the strategy here. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think youll be shocked when very little if any of that happens under Venkys.

The statement implied that Venkys will keep a keen interest concluding in attending a game this season.

Venkys has backed including this season Mowbray every season and he couldn't deliver Promotion. 

I would suggest you read the Venkys statement cos they never they would attend a game but they try to get to one. Maybe they turn up on Saturday who knows. I'm not bothered if they do or don't. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We see shortly won't we? 

But any potential manager after beating PNE would think that's the way to play with these players. Plus bringing through our academy players is already a key part of the strategy here. 

Venkys has backed including this season Mowbray every season and he couldn't deliver Promotion. 

I would suggest you read the Venkys statement cos they never they would attend a game but they try to get to one. Maybe they turn up on Saturday who knows. I'm not bothered if they do or don't. 

The point is that Venkys dont do logic. Surely you think that the manager not hearing a peep regarding potential contract talks due to the usual silence is not acceptable?

He has been financially backed including this season?! His main goalscorer was sold and none of the money was available to buy a striker, the taps are off. The resources he has had in general are often exaggerated and he is on course for an overall profit on the fees on his business assuming Brereton goes. Hes been a safe pair of hands who cant sustain a full season of overachievement to get us into the play offs so he cant take us forward.

My point is that they never intended to visit, they dont care, it was to be expected. Why you keep justifying their negligence (you do the same about the big gap before making the manager fly to India) is beyond me. They are the reason this club cant properly progress.

It is obviously the right time for Mowbray to go but firstly you seem to be under the impression naively that everything is down to a formation change to prove you are ahead of the curve even though your suggested team was considerably different. Also there is a way to do it and this isnt it, communicate constantly, be proactive, just not words Venkys are familiar with.

Lets hope you are right and they have a competent manager lined up amidst a root and branch change in footballing structure, all to be done imminently after the season ends, with money invested. Youd be mad to expect it and it wont happen though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yoda's brother said:

dont know if this has been mentioned (cant be bothered looking back) but warburton will be available

Is that a suggestion? QPR have bottled it as well this season in a similar fashion to us, their fans don't seem to speak very highly of him...

• Like 1

My initial thought was this is Mowbray calling out the owners in public trying to force their hand with a new contract. Having reflected on it though I think firstly even Mowbray knows they either wont be listening, or will listen and ignore him. Secondly I think it's too big a climb down for him to change his mind - a new contract doesn't change the fact the poor chap only sees his son twice a week (!!!)

People listing next potential managers must be utterly fucking insane as well. Have you not paid attention for the last 12 years? It'll be someone managed by that wanky agency and they wont be very good.

I'll enjoy Mowbray leaving as i'd have enough of him, but it'll be for just that. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We see shortly won't we? 

If a new manager is put in place, it is unlikely that they will be working with the players that beat PNE, due to the contract situation and the likelihood of a club coming in for Diaz plus the loss of key loanees.

So, whatever happens with the gurning gumball and his crazy contract situation, it is going to be another build from scratch exercise, rather than a season of building on any 'platform & momentum' from this one...

Crazy.