BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

Just now, superniko said:

I think that is a bit harsh. If any other championship club on the edge of the playoffs had a manager out of contract in 2 games times I’d expect their local papers to be asking questions about it pretty relentlessly. 
I’m actually surprised they’ve not been asking earlier and more often (it is their job)

I'm not sure why I have to point it out but being on the edge of the play offs is an abject failure when you had a ten point cushion to seventh in mid to late January. 

The question the journalists would be better served posing is "why wasn't he sacked in time to salvage the season?"

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The owners would look a bit silly if they'd come out with the usual backslapping "We'd like to thank Tony for all his sterling work and wish him all the best for the future" type guff some time ago and then he'd gone on to get us promoted.

It hasn’t ever stopped them before.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

It hasn’t ever stopped them before.

Knew someone would say that.

Fair comment I guess.

Hypothetically if they'd been caught by surprise by our form up to January and decided to wait and see how it all played out then I don't think it's a particularly unreasonable stance to take.

If however the position was he was leaving at the end of the season no matter what (which I think it was) but no succession planning has taken place behind the scenes that puts a far more serious slant on the situation than Mowbray being a bit hard done to.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What "current financial situation" is that then?

The one whereby the owners top up our income every year to the maximum level allowable under the  FFP regulations?

I agree I could see the sense in waiting to see where we end up IF that is the reason he hasn't been told anything. The owners would look a bit silly if they'd come out with the usual backslapping "We'd like to thank Tony for all his sterling work and wish him all the best for the future" type guff some time ago and then he'd gone on to get us promoted.

Had this argument on twitter the other night with another TM denier.

One of the lowest incomes in the Champ blah blah...

Yes but ownership who make it a competitive midtable budget every season by covering the losses for that compared to the income.

But hes had nothing to work with....

Not a lot true, apart from the midtable budget, a 7 million pund and 5 million pound striker, loan fees and wage contributions to Prem clubs for their talent, a Cat A academy production line that most others don't have.  Oh and ownership who ignore bad results and basically let him do and say what he wants within reason.

Did i mention not being forced to sell ANY player in 5 years !

Ok, you don't just expect top 6 off all that but he has also been outdone by managers and clubs with less every season. Including injuries to key players and bad refs.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The point is that Venkys dont do logic. Surely you think that the manager not hearing a peep regarding potential contract talks due to the usual silence is not acceptable?

Yes I would expect the owners to have told Mowbray that he will go after this season or we are going to give him a new contract. 

He has been financially backed including this season?! His main goalscorer was sold and none of the money was available to buy a striker, the taps are off. The resources he has had in general are often exaggerated and he is on course for an overall profit on the fees on his business assuming Brereton goes. Hes been a safe pair of hands who cant sustain a full season of overachievement to get us into the play offs so he cant take us forward.

He has been massive backed over his tenure at the club and he can have no complaints over the budget for each season he got. 

Yes this season he will still allow to sign players and in fact we have made Buckley and Brereton key players for the club. 

The Armstrong money's will be used to cover this season losses. Yes it would have been good to spend more but he has been allowed to make number of permanent signings Football under the PL has seen a massive reset financially at Championship clubs this season

My point is that they never intended to visit, they dont care, it was to be expected. Why you keep justifying their negligence (you do the same about the big gap before making the manager fly to India) is beyond me. They are the reason this club cant properly progress.

We don't know that. 

Cos its doesn't bothered so much as you and I don't keep going on about i 

It is obviously the right time for Mowbray to go but firstly you seem to be under the impression naively that everything is down to a formation change to prove you are ahead of the curve even though your suggested team was considerably different. Also there is a way to do it and this isnt it, communicate constantly, be proactive, just not words Venkys are familiar with.

PNE performance and the way we played tactical and formation wise so such a positive and attacking position. Its a pity that Mowbray was so stubborn not to change formation/tactics sooner we would have secure a playoff already. I have been going going on for over 3 weeks now. I was right and you were wrong to want to back 3 which was clearly to see need 

Lets hope you are right and they have a competent manager lined up amidst a root and branch change in footballing structure, all to be done imminently after the season ends, with money invested. 

I would expect a new appointment to be made by the end of May

3 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

If a new manager is put in place, it is unlikely that they will be working with the players that beat PNE, due to the contract situation and the likelihood of a club coming in for Diaz plus the loss of key loanees.

So, whatever happens with the gurning gumball and his crazy contract situation, it is going to be another build from scratch exercise, rather than a season of building on any 'platform & momentum' from this one...

Crazy. 

We still have Kaminski, Wharton, Travis, Buckley and hopefully Lenihan so you still have key players as part of the squad

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

We will see indeed. But your post said the plan was to get a good, ambitious manager and give them a decent transfer budget, so we can challenge for promotion.

That's every Rovers fans dream. But this is Venkys and they don't work like that.

The owner wanted to be back Mowbray after the promotion season. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

The decent thing to do was to tell Mowbray that if we didn't get promoted then his contract wouldn't (or would) be renewed.  He could keep that to himself.  In effect by not talking to him, that's what has happened.

For some reason I've always liked TM, but I can see he shortcomings too.  That said there are a lot of managers haven't been successful at this level - many who have been lauded on this site.  With the resources open to him TM has got us into contention this season, something that were unable to do under other managers.  

So, I feel regret that he didn't do better.

Sadly none of us can have any confidence in a good appointment can we?  

We were in contention under bowyer and more than just one season 

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yes but ownership who make it a competitive midtable budget every season by covering the losses for that compared to the income.

Not a lot true, apart from the midtable budget, a 7 million pund and 5 million pound striker, loan fees and wage contributions to Prem clubs for their talent, a Cat A academy production line that most others don't have.  Oh and ownership who ignore bad results and basically let him do and say what he wants within reason.

Ok, you don't just expect top 6 off all that but he has also been outdone by managers and clubs with less every season. Including injuries to key players and bad refs.

I have arguments on Facebook.  The usual we have the youngest squad in the league bullshit.  Building a project. Ffp. The usual stuff that Mowbray brainwashes fans with

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The big difference for me is QPR are definitely out of the play offs whilst we still have a very slender chance.

Once we are mathematically out of it I wouldn't be surprised to hear a similar sort of announcement coming out of Ewood.

Which is fair enough but you would think they would at least have had a word with Mowbray in private, meaning he didn't need to tell the press he has no idea.

Hypothetically (with a capital H) if the owners are ahead of the curve there should be a new manager in situ to start work immediately after the Birmingham game. We are entering a crucial time when plans ought to be in place for pre season training, signing new players, selling players and a host of other things which usually go on in the background but need to be planned well ahead. Personally I have no faith in these people to do the right thing for Rovers and I envisage turmoil once again.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Some very fair comments here, especially on the quality of the academy (god knows where we'd be without it).

One thing I'd say in his favour (at least when it comes to transfers) is that the squad he inherited was almost completely without assets. Possibly we could've fetched a couple of million for Lenihan at a push. No other player would've fetched anything beyond a derisory transfer fee, and so something to consider when looking at budgets etc. is that we could well be comparing Rovers with squads which already have had quite a lot spent on them over time.

He can't plead poverty for the reasons that you mention, but once you take the Armstrong & Raya fees into account, his spend over five years is very small beer. He's generally done well in growing assets for the club too, it just so happens that the club has been pretty poor at protecting these assets with securing them to longer contracts!

I think generally he's managed the squad well with the budget available to him. Sadly he's not been able to get the most out of it consistently enough. 

• Like 3

We all know we’re gonna be managerless for pre season.

This lot don’t have a clue. 

More importantly, who’s doing the interviewing? Who’s actually appointing him? You’d think it’s gonna be Suhail… the man with zero football experience. 

We face the very real prospect of starting pre season with no manager, no backroom team, no recruitment team, and no CEO.

Phone calls should be being made today to Farke, Bilic, Jokanovic, Rooney, fuck it give Dyche a bell whilst you’re at it. This is football and there are no loyalties anywhere to anyone. We need to learn from past mistakes and be pro active not reactive.

Edited by Mellor Rover

17 minutes ago, roverandout said:

We'll probably end up finishing very close to where we did under Bowyer in the season where Rhodes & Gestede both scored over 20 goals. 

Although I seem to remember that this was very much a late charge that we made in the Spring onwards and before then we were some way away, so I'm not sure that I'd class that as really in contention. To be honest given the players we had, I'd say we underperformed more in that season than we ever have under Mowbray.

• Like 3

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

We'll probably end up finishing very close to where we did under Bowyer in the season where Rhodes & Gestede both scored over 20 goals. 

Although I seem to remember that this was very much a late charge that we made in the Spring onwards and before then we were some way away, so I'm not sure that I'd class that as really in contention. To be honest given the players we had, I'd say we underperformed more in that season than we ever have under Mowbray.

Agreed with this. We had the best 11 in the league on paper for 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Agreed with this. We had the best 11 in the league on paper for 2 years.

Unfortunately we had a cheap rookie, promoted from the youth set up, learning his trade managing them instead of a top Championship operator that could’ve got a more consistent tune out of the squad - that era was another fine example of the owners throwing untold millions down the toilet whilst scrimping on the most important element of a successful team.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Unfortunately we had a cheap rookie, promoted from the youth set up, learning his trade managing them instead of a top Championship operator that could’ve got a more consistent tune out of the squad - that era was another fine example of the owners throwing untold millions down the toilet whilst scrimping on the most important element of a successful team.

Youth team rookie or not, you don’t play Tom Cairney RM ffs.

Is it in our recruitment criteria for manager that our RM/RW has to be a player out of position?

Cairney, Reed, Gallagher… 

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Youth team rookie or not, you don’t play Tom Cairney RM ffs.

Is it in our recruitment criteria for manager that our RM/RW has to be a player out of position?

Cairney, Reed, Gallagher… 

All true and he made plenty of mistakes and was tactically poor, so our big chance went -and that’s on the owners for appointing him and keeping him on too long, bit of a pattern…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, roverandout said:

No he hasn't 

I would argue he hasn't been a bad manager. He has got some things right, some wrong - though I feel we have blown a huge opportunity this season, I think most would have take a chance of top 6 with two games to go at the start of the season.

51 minutes ago, roverandout said:

That just isn't true - did we ever actually sit in the top 6 under Bowyer? Maybe for a week. We perhaps got into contention to put pressure on the top 6, then had displays like the Sheff Wed and Yeovil.

He had a big wage bill, had players like King, Cairney, Gestede, Rhodes, Lawrence, as well as defenders who have been in the Premier League most seasons since (Duffy, Hanley - regardless of how we rate them).

Bowyer grossly underachieved compared to Mowbray, but the club was even more of a shambles then and Bowyer has found his level in League 2.

Similar to looking at players above that Bowyer had, I would say that I look back and wonder how a championship team with Harvey Elliott and the (2nd?) top scorer in the league finished 15th - the answer was our shocking defence. It's a shame Elliott probably came here a season too early for us.
We had a +11 GD in 15th...not even sure how that is possible apart from being flat track bullies I guess.

Edited by superniko