BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray

Done well to stabilise the ship. Brought in some exciting young players, and a genuinely good bloke. Think he's a good man-manager but ordinary or worse tactically. A very good season cut short by some stubborn decisions from the manager and a bit of bad luck with injuries and when it was crunch time (missed pens).

Thanks for everything, nervous about what's to come.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aletheia said:

If so, I stand corrected.

However, see my list of criteria for new Rovers managers on the other thread. It still holds -those who are desperate. Poor Berg he must have been.

There you go.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/oct/31/blackburn-henning-berg-new-manager

Blimey 9 years ago, it seemed bad then but we still all believed we could get back up with the right manager. Now there seems to be a mass acceptance that we've found our level.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I'm not clear he has fucked off.... he is still in the dugout at Brum isn't he ?

This is potentially all a sick negotiating game of which we are all now participants / victims. 

Still here but sounds like his contract ends shortly after that game. Venus, for some reasons seems to have a longer one and will be here for a few months more. Totally pointlessly, of course, which is just the Venkys way.

Massive concern that Venus tries and succeeds in getting the job. That'll be me done if he does.

• Like 6

Yes, I remain convinced that the owners will summon him to India at the end of the season, probably expecting him to make the journey anyway, and will be amazed if he declines. 

I think Mowbray wants to stay and has come with this now because he can't brush the questions off at this late stage. He can't say he is staying because he hasn't been offered the chance to.....yet. So the alternative is that he is going to leave.....as it stands.

I don't think these owners have the interest, stomach or desire to bring in a new management team. 

To be honest I don't see there being any point unless they are going down a new road and spending more or getting a big hitter in. 

If they just want to continue with the slow 'development' stuff that Mowbray goes on about they might as well give him a new deal, just like they might as well have kept Gary Bowyer than gone through Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray.

• Like 2

I think the stuff about his family and values is just him going over old ground. He's often said similar about how tough he has it with his commute and family life but hasn't given the job up, so I don't attach much weight to that.

He's on the spot and has to come out with something to try and get his POV across and it sounds better for him if he's being a family man rather than just admitting the truth -that he would like to stay but hasn't heard anything because the owners are out of the loop.

Its interesting because not long ago he was talking about going to India after the season had finished. Now he seems to have given up on that idea.

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think the stuff about his family and values is just him going over old ground. He's often said similar about how tough he has it with his commute and family life but hasn't given the job up, so I don't attach much weight to that.

He's on the spot and has to come out with something to try and get his POV across and it sounds better for him if he's being a family man rather than just admitting the truth -that he would like to stay but hasn't heard anything because the owners are out of the loop.

Its interesting because not long ago he was talking about going to India after the season had finished. Now he seems to have given up on that idea.

I agree that if he'd been offered a contract he wouldn't be saying any of this, but whilst he has talked about being away from his family in the past, this time he has specifically stated that he's leaving because it isn't fair to them for him to be away, and that his son needs him to be there for him more than he has been. Backtracking on those comments would be awkward to say the least, although at the same time if he did renew I can't imagine the local press would ask him about it. I imagine all of this would be conveniently forgotten and we'd hear more nonsense about journeys, player development, etc. 

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

If I see one more post on here or Facebook about honourable man, young team, journeys, can anyone name any more? I think I will scream

Short memories... Stabilised the club... He's got us where we are today... He was let down by his players... He saved everyone of us.

Actually that last one was Flash Gordon but it's difficult to separate the two they are so similar.

• Like 4

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the venkys didn’t have a clue about what was going on at Ewood and they just let the remaining stuff muddle by, it could very well be an utter shit show this summer.

still I’m delighted mowbray is away , I just hope they have the matter in hand 

6 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the venkys didn’t have a clue about what was going on at Ewood and they just let the remaining stuff muddle by, it could very well be an utter shit show this summer.

still I’m delighted mowbray is away , I just hope they have the matter in hand 

in house appointment,got to be,venus or johnson at the helm next year🥴

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, aletheia said:

....as for the nonsense about us being entitled and should be grateful....

...we did better than this current mob when we didn't have a pot to piss in..

80/81 4th

81/82 4th (Newcastle/Chelsea well below us)

82/3 11th

83/4 6th

84/5 5th (2 places behind M.City)

85/6 19th

86/7 12th

1987/8 5th

1988/9 5th

89/90 5th

90/91 19th

91/92 6th

And they didn't bring in the play-offs until later in the 80s so the majority of years we would have been in the play-offs. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, booth said:

Short memories... Stabilised the club... He's got us where we are today... He was let down by his players... He saved everyone of us.

Actually that last one was Flash Gordon but it's difficult to separate the two they are so similar.

Tone, ah-ah, saviour of the universe
He’ll save every one of us
He’s a miracle
He’s king of the impossible
He's stands for every one of us
He'll save us with a mighty hand every man, every woman, every child he’s the mighty Tone.

Just a man with a man’s courage. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

If I see one more post on here or Facebook about honourable man, young team, journeys, can anyone name any more? I think I will scream

Drinking game.....take the edge off. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, aletheia said:

....as for the nonsense about us being entitled and should be grateful....

...we did better than this current mob when we didn't have a pot to piss in..

80/81 4th

81/82 4th (Newcastle/Chelsea well below us)

82/3 11th

83/4 6th

84/5 5th (2 places behind M.City)

85/6 19th

86/7 12th

1987/8 5th

1988/9 5th

89/90 5th

90/91 19th

91/92 6th

Short memories...

5 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Tone, ah-ah, saviour of the universe
He’ll save every one of us
He’s a miracle
He’s king of the impossible
He's stands for every one of us
He'll save us with a mighty hand every man, every woman, every child he’s the mighty Tone.

Just a man with a man’s courage. 

When he leaves I'm fully expecting it to be like when Princess Diana died down at Ewood. Mass mourning, candles in the wind, cuddly ET toys, the lot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Surely, surely, you didn't just describe Man City's women's team as a promotion from Blackburn Rovers men's team!?!?

They are medics though, not football people as such, to be fair. All depends what job they are moving from/to I suppose.