BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The point I was making was that McCarthy is considered yesterday's man, yet it is 6 years since Pardew did anything of decent quality in football at Palace in the Prem. McCarthy in that time has overachieved with Ipswich, did well with Ireland and initially well with Cardiff before the wheels fell off.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting McCarthy should get it, just that if we are considering the likes of Pardew then it would be easier, cheaper and probably safer to go with someone like him who at least has done something in this division in recent times.

The same Mick McCarthy you said last season would finish higher than TM, sacked, same with Warnock, sacked and Rovers would be flirting with relegation all season, didn’t happen,impossible to second guess this division and same with managers, a young rookie can take off or keep with a safer older manager, who knows, think I’d like to go down the young Manning route with a decent DOF.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yankfan said:

What are the odds we have a manager before the transfer window open?  I’d put it at 10-15%. At this rate I’d be surprised if we have a manager named by July. 

We're more likely to have a manager named by tombola. Even then yer man maggott would get stuck trying to get a card from the bottom of the barrel

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dallydally said:
12 minutes ago, Clitherover said:

This guy.

CHSSk8fWsAAddKa-400x250_400x250.jpg

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He is still the only player to have scored for Newcastle United at Wembley under Keegan and then later in his career came on as substitute goalkeeper for an injured Schmeichel for Manchester United in a European game...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, unsall said:

The same Mick McCarthy you said last season would finish higher than TM, sacked, same with Warnock, sacked and Rovers would be flirting with relegation all season, didn’t happen,impossible to second guess this division and same with managers, a young rookie can take off or keep with a safer older manager, who knows, think I’d like to go down the young Manning route with a decent DOF.

You're right, it is impossible to second guess. Just like if Mowbray had been Cardiff or Middlesbrough manager he would almost certainly have been sacked during one of those club record bad runs, whilst if Warnock or McCarthy had been given 5 years and good backing here to do whatever they wanted regardless of results I'd be confident we'd have finished higher than 8th during that time.

Its a game of timing and risk. You pay the money and get a Farke or Carvalhal then the risk is reduced but not removed. You cut corners and do things on the cheap and get a Coyle the risk is increased.

I am pretty confident we won't be getting a decent DOF. I'd be surprised if we got one full stop, but if we do it is likely to be another internal promotion of someone who shouldn't get the job or some cheap desperado from elsewhere. There's no point having one if the bloke isn't able to 'direct' the football operation and given he is coming in after the new manager there's not much chance of that happening, especially with these owners.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Out of interest and this is not a dig or a slant of abuse at anyone, but how many of our forum members applied for the job at Ewood, bearing in mind just how much expert knowledge there appears to be amongst us, its littered with expert analysis, foresight, hindsight and experience it puts the pundits on sky sports to shame 😄Surely, someone must have made the top 8 or 9 for the first round of interviews🥸

Sounded suspiciously like a dig to me.

• Like 9

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It’s a genuine bit of research not a dig or a slant 

‘Bearing in mind how much expert knowledge there is on BRFCS, surely someone must have made it to the top 8 or 9’.

Yeah, I think that’s a dig to be fair.

We all need to be aiming not to do that.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It’s a genuine bit of research not a dig or a slant 

Puts your "behind the scenes improvements" research into a bit of context.

• Like 8

The thing with Beale at QPR is that yes, for me it would have been very underwhelming if we had done that, and it is a big risk, but at the very least they've made a decision, gone out, paid compensation to get their man out of Aston Villa, and will try their best to make it work.

It might end in tears, it might be successful for them. But at least they've brought their process to a conclusion and seem to be following some sort of plan.

I remain convinced and concerned that no such plan is being followed here and that we are just going to end up with a dismal name out of desperation.

• Like 7

Just now, JHRover said:

The thing with Beale at QPR is that yes, for me it would have been very underwhelming if we had done that, and it is a big risk, but at the very least they've made a decision, gone out, paid compensation to get their man out of Aston Villa, and will try their best to make it work.

It might end in tears, it might be successful for them. But at least they've brought their process to a conclusion and seem to be following some sort of plan.

I remain convinced and concerned that no such plan is being followed here and that we are just going to end up with a dismal name out of desperation.

Yep, I agree. 

Also why there are probably so many conflicting stories about our next manager flying around. No one has any real clue.

I'm as nervous as the next person but I think some of the pessimism is going into overdrive today.

There's nothing whatsoever to suggest we've any interest in either Adkins or Pardew or vice versa and just because Pardew has apparently left his Club doesn't automatically mean he's coming here just as it doesn't mean Stuart Pearce was when he left West Ham.

FWIW Imo it seems to be  amusing to some to  sporadically link the Club with the worst possible name that could possibly spring to mind without any foundation whatsoever and Pardew falls into that category for me, the worst name mentioned yet.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You're right, it is impossible to second guess. Just like if Mowbray had been Cardiff or Middlesbrough manager he would almost certainly have been sacked during one of those club record bad runs, whilst if Warnock or McCarthy had been given 5 years and good backing here to do whatever they wanted regardless of results I'd be confident we'd have finished higher than 8th during that time.

Its a game of timing and risk. You pay the money and get a Farke or Carvalhal then the risk is reduced but not removed. You cut corners and do things on the cheap and get a Coyle the risk is increased.

I am pretty confident we won't be getting a decent DOF. I'd be surprised if we got one full stop, but if we do it is likely to be another internal promotion of someone who shouldn't get the job or some cheap desperado from elsewhere. There's no point having one if the bloke isn't able to 'direct' the football operation and given he is coming in after the new manager there's not much chance of that happening, especially with these owners.

Not sure there’s anyone to come through internally, but you’re right a decent  DOF needed and a enthusiastic youngish coach and I wouldn’t be bothered if Johnson worked under him, he did a good job for the u/23s before moving up, but from what I could see had very little input on match days, fingers crossed, keep the faith😜

Clubs make mistakes with managers, fair enough. However, usually they quickly rectify them and get the bloke out the door before he does too much damage. Was ever thus in football. So fans usually can be pretty sanguine if a fool is appointed, shout for his head and let the results speak for themselves, and ‘NEXT!’.

However, not in VenkyWorld. We all know TM would still be here if he had happened to have signed a contract with an extra 12 months on it.

My main worry is not appointing a dud in the first place, it happens, it’s all a gamble, but that said dud will be allowed to drag on and on and on. Even a complete clown like Coyle went on for those fatal extra few months.

That’s why they have to by hook or by crook get this right, as there will be no quick removal if he ain’t up to it, and in such a competitive league we know where that leads, alas I just don’t have much faith in the powers that be…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

‘Bearing in mind how much expert knowledge there is on BRFCS, surely someone must have made it to the top 8 or 9’.

Yeah, I think that’s a dig to be fair.

We all need to be aiming not to do that.

Only slightly condescending 😅 @1864roverite

My guy at Rovers says Carvahal was Ewood (Waggott’s) first choice but he wanted more first team staff and it was too expensive. He says Pardew.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

My guy at Rovers says Carvahal was Ewood (Waggott’s) first choice but he wanted more first team staff and it was too expensive. He says Pardew.

Absolute classic window dressing by Swaggot if that's the case.

12 minutes ago, J*B said:

Fingers crossed this isn't the 1st time your guys right 

• Like 6