BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Tying together everything, this is what I think has happened:

I reckon it was narrowed down to three managers (probably Warne, Ferguson, Ainsworth), ready for Steve Walsh (preferred DOF) to choose from.

Broughton is only very recently out of work, and (I'm told) was 'approached as soon as available' AHEAD OF Walsh - possibly cold feet considering his Everton fiasco?

I'm told 'his connections have opened more options' this week, which makes sense to me as to why Deila and JDT were suddenly in the picture, and possibly why it's taken us this long.

I personally think it'll be JDT now, but it wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Solksjaer, Bohinen, or even Sven had been approached.

His connections have opened more options, AND the first round of candidates must’ve been viewed as deficient. 

3 hours ago, Gav said:

We are well and truly scraping the bottom of the barrel now and even at this level we can't afford the dregs.

Roll up roll up, season tickets for sale, roll up........

020g.png.15f3c7b6a646b579fcdaa45d8d6e4f53.png

That post may come back to haunt you if we did appoint JDT and he turns out to be decent. Don't know anything about him myself but on the face of it his CV is far better than Mowbray's so it seems very premature yo be dismissing him out of hand before he even gets here.

Not sure if you're being serious with this post or are in your usual wind up mode, but once again it seems extremely odd that you never complained about a manager who struggled here for years and who finished the second half of the season in relegation form but would dismiss out of hand the claims of someone who won the Championship of the Country he was managing in for the last two seasons.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I reckon it was narrowed down to three managers (probably Warne, Ferguson, Ainsworth), ready for Steve Walsh (preferred DOF) to choose from.

Broughton is only very recently out of work, and (I'm told) was 'approached as soon as available' AHEAD OF Walsh - possibly cold feet considering his Everton fiasco?

I'm told 'his connections have opened more options' this week, which makes sense to me as to why Deila and JDT were suddenly in the picture, and possibly why it's taken us this long.

I personally think it'll be JDT now, but it wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Solksjaer, Bohinen, or even Sven had been approached.

Makes sense. I do wonder however if Walsh turned us down due to the mad Venkys setup and that's why we went for Broughton out of the blue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That post may come back to haunt you if we did appoint JDT and he turns out to be decent. Don't know anything about him myself but on the face of it his CV is far better than Mowbray's so it seems very premature yo be dismissing him out of hand before he even gets here.

Not sure if you're being serious with this post or are in your usual wind up mode, but once again it seems extremely odd that you never complained about a manager who struggled here for years and who finished the second half of the season in relegation form but would dismiss out of hand the claims of someone who won the Championship of the Country he was managing in for the last two seasons.

As the owners biggest supporter on here and someone who seems to struggle reading between the lines, this post is predictable.

You started off talking about Sean Dyche, you’re now settling for JDT, I’ll let the board decide who is on the wind up and who isn’t.

• Like 3

I’m definitely curious and excited to see the impending changes. I don’t think many (if any) of us had heard of Gregg Broughton beforehand and the likes of JDT and Delia seemed a million miles from our initial thoughts too (I didn’t even know JDT was a manager, though I remembered him as a player).

If this is the partnership moving forwards the. I’ll give it my full backing. Ideally I’d have liked a Farke or Carvalhal but those aside I’d much prefer a GB / JDT appointment than if they’d wheeled out Adkin’s or Pardew.

Who knows how good or bad it will be. What it will be, 100% is a change and after 5yrs of Mowbray, I’m looking forwards to it. Be good to get preseason up and running and maybe a couple of ‘left field’ type signings.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, LDRover said:

How anyone can have even an ounce of confidence in the new manager after such an appalling recruitment process is beyond me.

It's an utter disgrace.

Ultimately football is a results business.

Do well and the recruitment process is irrelevant, do poorly then of course the process will be picked apart.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LDRover said:

How anyone can have even an ounce of confidence in the new manager after such an appalling recruitment process is beyond me.

It's an utter disgrace.

I’m just trying to have some positive regard for the guy- whoever he may be. If he wants us, after the first 8-10 guys either didn’t, or didn’t want our setup, he’s got to have some patience & stamina (or, maybe he just needs a regular paycheck). 

Wait & see… 

Edited by WacoRover

Most people were of the opinion that Mowbray's time was up.

Most people expected the club to make a real hash of the manager recruitment and for it to impact pre-season and transfers.

Most people expect this season to be the worst ever in terms of 'early bird' ST sales.

Most people are not surprised where we are at this moment of time. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Most people were of the opinion that Mowbray's time was up.

Most people expected the club to make a real hash of the manager recruitment and for it to impact pre-season and transfers.

Most people expect this season to be the worst ever in terms of 'early bird' ST sales.

Most people are not surprised where we are at this moment if time. 

Yeah, and they’ve not let us down have they !

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Have you ever thought that the "best" candidates" as named on here and in media are not always the better fit for the club? I mean, I have been in jobs where the stand out favourites have actually missed the job because a lesser candidate actually showed an alternative view to the job which might just be to the benefit of the club.

All this nonsense about wages being an issue, all this nonsense about Benson - Lowe I will have/understand and the nonsense about being a lack of ambition/money or interest from those within the club is total bullshit - yes we have seen over the years the club spiral into chaos but right now, after a pandemic of massive proportions, the club is on a stable footing, we are not facing issues with FFP, we are not facing administration or a points deduction, we are not a Derby County, Bristol C or any of the other clubs that are facing financial investigations.

Yes, there are issues with season ticket/match prices, and I for one sincerely hope the club are listening to the likes of RT and I am disappointed that so far, I haven't seen a response to the letter that was so eloquently put together by those with a real concern.

So, as for the new manager to be, it isn't a grayson, it isn't a coyle wannabee cheapee, its looking like an alternative vision, something new so lets see how it pans out. There is no ruish to get the manager behind the desk next week, its a conditioning week, the real training starts in 10 days, that's when the manager needs to be in.

It’s not total bullshit to claim that the new managers have to work with existing coaches, it’s a fact, as Lowe and Benson are still here.

Venky’s not paying the wages in the past again is fact, do you remember Owen Coyle’s appointment?

If things are different now to how they’ve been in the past eleven years, then just explain why, instead of rudely telling people they’re talking rubbish every day.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Is it? He won the Swedish title a couple of times with one of the biggest teams in Sweden. It's decent but it's not all that impressive. Nothing compared to what Knutsen did. Malmo have won the most Swedish titles and the most national cups. Prior to that he got fired after getting Dutch side Roda relegated. Mowbray had won the league we actually play in, reached an FA Cup semi final with a Championship side and had more experience than JDT does when we signed him. This is not a defence of Mowbray of course, but JDT's CV really isn't all that impressive.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Good post Like ya way of thinking! 

I think most of the managers we've been linked with bar Farke would come with the same level of risk once you look at the all individually and way their pros and cons up, So now (after their salary!!) i think it will largely come down who they think the fans will instantly warm to more.. Which is where I think JDT has a slight advantage as he seems a very smart, likely affable person where as someone lile Ferguson is a bit more of a divisive character,

I also think (like a lot of European managers) Tomasson would be more adaptable and open minded tactically, etc... Where as British managers still tend to be more 'what you see is what you get' plus being a "head coach" as opposed to a manager is usually more second nature to European managers. 

Is Bohinen managing? Really liked him as a player here very underated! I'll have to get googling on him. 

Sven errr bit cringy, but maybe he has one good season left in him and could offer the experience and maturity we need during whats going to be a big transitional period whils broughton tries making his mark behind the scenes at the club

Oh and ive mentioned a few times in the past that I think Solskjaer would be a great fit four our club, but for whatever reasons the majority on here just don't seem to like him. Which is fair enough i suppose 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Farke and Carvalhal was the ones we hope for, but didn't get them for various reasons. 

It's interesting option. Could be similar to Thomas Frank. Who was in Charge at Brondby for 3 years before coming to Brentford coaching staff. 

Yes the market is smaller but still quality players in that market. Players from France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Scandinavia still out there

Not specifically those 2, but I and many others wanted a manager with a good and relevant track record. Farke was an ambitious one and ultimately if he had that Bundesliga interest from the start, although maybe it only materialised due to our sluggishness, then fait enough, difficult to compete. The Carvalhal one seems more complex as like most humans he has gone for financial reasons, are we offering low wages? Limiting him on his staff? Could we have got him if the owners had any genuine intention, perhaps. Even beyond those 2, there are the likes of Dyche, Jokanovic and Wagner still out of work, im not sure if all (or indeed any) are realistic, Dyche is the ideal candidate but the most unlikely, but that is the calibre of manager I wanted.

You've said Tomasson would be "interesting" but for me it would be underwhelming, an unknown quantity IF indeed he is the man which is far from confirmed. His CV is limited and mixed, he has a relegation on his CV and a second short and unsuccessful spell as a manager on there too. He seemingly did well at Malmo winning 2 titles on the back of a 2nd place finish before him (and they are 5th at the moment) albeit I looked into it a bit and it seems like they had much bigger resources than the competitors, something which is not comparable to the job he will have here. I also noticed that a few Malmo fans had tweeted underneath and the common consensus was that he was very reliant on individual quality winning games and they questioned his tactical flexibility, with one also saying that he is reluctant to bring through youngsters. Ultimately though, barely anyone will have genuinely followed his previous jobs especially in the Swedish League so he is very much an unknown.

He (or another) may benefit simply because a manager is finally appointed after a seemingly farcically long search for one, although even if he has been selected, waiting for those bastards in India and then a work permit creates two further delays when time is of the essence.

I am fed up of people saying things like "stop being negative" and "get behind him" if he is appointed, as if that is in doubt. People can critique a manager and indeed be underwhelmed by his potential appointment whilst still backing him if and when he comes in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

I think it was something Nixon or Sharpe suggested. The clubs always want to keep things under wraps for a few good reasons, but agents leak things if it suits their agenda, i.e., they have their eyes on a bigger piece of cake. I completely believe that's the case.

Both Monchengladbach and Al Wahda will have been able to offer more lucrative contracts than we could, at a guess. I think both had their sights set on those clubs (and the money that goes with it), and we were always just a tool to be used to speed those deals along.

And our lot knew this but were happy to play along by letting local journos assume we are all but offering them the job.

I wanted Mowbray out the door for over 3 years before his eventual departure... most of us knew Benson and Lowe never deserved to be in the door in the first place.

Both would look out of depth coaching at an English Schools 1st Round fixture between Darwen Vale and St Bedes.

Shambles keeping them on roll.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

We need some signings big time and that work needs to start even without a coach in place imo and let the new guy bring in the ‘bits around the edges’ after we’ve addressed the gaping holes. We should’ve been all over free agents like Aden Flint (gone to stoke), Conor Hourihane, Gary Cahill, Romaine Sawyers, Kristian Pedersen, Jed Wallace etc. 

I don't see them fitting Broughton's footballing strategy and the way he see the team building. I would be looking at players Cameron Brannagan, Callum Styles, Josh Laurent or Josh Onomah(on loan) for example

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

If it is to be JDT, there’s a real chance he won’t be in charge for another 2/3 weeks with the delays in work permits. Kompany is still waiting for his at Burnley and that’s been the best part of 3 weeks and they find themselves in a similar boat, think i saw they released 14 players yesterday including Mee and Tarkowski? (What a shame 🤣)

I believe JDT's work permit is straight forward since he has worked for 2 full seasons at a club in the last 3 years. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Let’s face it - you’ve got to be desperate to take the Rovers job under the conditions the Chokers have set out. Anybody with a choice is going to take the other option

I disagreed with the above comment. 

Rovers job is a good job where you are allow to build a squad, team that finish 8th last season so you should be looking to improve their league position and have a academy producing quality players for the first team

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Didn't Broughton leave Bodo/Glimt for the Director of Football job here?

I do agree that his connections have bought more options to the table.  

34 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m definitely curious and excited to see the impending changes. I don’t think many (if any) of us had heard of Gregg Broughton beforehand and the likes of JDT and Delia seemed a million miles from our initial thoughts too (I didn’t even know JDT was a manager, though I remembered him as a player).

If this is the partnership moving forwards the. I’ll give it my full backing. Ideally I’d have liked a Farke or Carvalhal but those aside I’d much prefer a GB / JDT appointment than if they’d wheeled out Adkin’s or Pardew.

Who knows how good or bad it will be. What it will be, 100% is a change and after 5yrs of Mowbray, I’m looking forwards to it. Be good to get preseason up and running and maybe a couple of ‘left field’ type signings.

good post Paul

22 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What concerns me most about JDT (if it is him) or any man coming in, is that they’re happy to work with tin pot coaches like Lowe and Benson. 

Any updates today @unleaded?

Maybe since Broughton has come in that situation might have change. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers job is a good job where you are allow to build a squad, team that finish 8th last season so you should be looking to improve their league position and have a academy producing quality players for the first team

Should be looking to improve on last season's 8th place?

It won't be the same team that achieved 8th place last season.

Lenihen and Rothwell already gone from that team.Nyambe and Brererton most likely to follow.

That's 4 of our better players gone ,including Club captain and our top scorer.Add Khadra and Van Hecke.

6 players from our strongest 11 last season gone.Whoever the new man Is he has a big rebuild on his hands can't see us being near playoff contention next season 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see them fitting Broughton's footballing strategy and the way he see the team building. I would be looking at players Cameron Brannagan, Callum Styles, Josh Laurent or Josh Onomah(on loan) for example

I believe JDT's work permit is straight forward since he has worked for 2 full seasons at a club in the last 3 years. 

I disagreed with the above comment. 

Didn't Broughton leave Bodo/Glimt for the Director of Football job here?

I do agree that his connections have bought more options to the table.  

Where have you read that a work permit for Tomasson would be straight forward because he has worked 2 full seasons? Hasn't Kompany and his is taking ages.

I am not convinced that it is a good job hence why we seem to be fishing in the market of managers who have been working in minor leagues. It will be difficult to improve upon 8th considering the departures and of course furthermore pending any budget limitations.

9 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I wanted Mowbray out the door for over 3 years before his eventual departure... most of us knew Benson and Lowe never deserved to be in the door in the first place.

Both would look out of depth coaching at an English Schools 1st Round fixture between Darwen Vale and St Bedes.

Shambles keeping them on roll.

Maybe it's simply a case of having to keep a few of Mowbrays team on just so that there's people here to take pre season and keep things ticking over... 

I think that they might all be gone once the new managers in and had chance to assess things and build his own coaching team over the next 6 months 🤞

• Like 1

If it is Tomasson then I'm happy given the options we now have. We've seen good options go by, and looking around at those we're now linked with he seems like a decent choice. 

Playing career wise, he was right at the very top. Given the age and experience of our squad, that will gain some respect. He was always a very intelligent player. He reminded me slightly of Thomas Muller but slightly further forward. No notable stand out attributes, but somebody who interpreted space superbly. Hopefully he has the ability to communicate that skill well and he's adept understanding the defensive side of the game too. Diaz should be ecstatic if JDT does come in. What a player to learn from, though I doubt it'd be enough for him to resign. 

On the negative side, he has little experience, though is achievements in Malmo shouldn't be dismissed simply because they're a big team in their league. To temper his sacking by Rode he was appointed mid-season and sacked after only 5 months. It's a mark on his record, however that it can be difficult to turn round a club mid-season who are on the slide. 

It's a step up for him and he has something to prove, which to me is both positive and negative. The alternatives look a bit grim, but I'd be very excited to see what he has to offer. 

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 4