BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

20 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Regarding Gallagher, I have been very critical of him over the last couple of seasons but there is definitely a player in there somewhere. Let’s hope JDT and Co can get it fully out in the open. He took his goal well and, in the second half, had two great chances to put the ball away again. Whilst he didn’t score, at least he was on target and made the keeper work, rather than blazing it wide. If we can KEEP him and Brereton together up front, I’ll be happy enough.

If JDT can improve Gallagher's back to goal and aeriel game he will be a much better forward. His focus, bizarrely despite his height and strength and lack of dribbling or crossing ability, has always been running with the ball wide. I don't really buy this is 100% Mowbray, I suspect it is part of his own personal preference too. 

I am curious to see what happens under JDT and if he can really be changed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

You were referring to why we hadn't played at home, though - to protect the pitch. Just answering on that comment.

Didn't Rovers start the work on the pitch after this event and want the pitch to be good condition for the 1st home game. 

I know Rovers are having open training day on it Monday 25th July

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

No problem with the club connecting with the local community, as a disclaimer.

I would never suggest that 

Gallagher has never played ‘on the wing’, he’s been deployed as a wide striker and it was part of his development plan, as it had (successfully) been for Armstrong and Brereton.

All different players, but the end game was to have a nuisance of a forward cutting in and being dangerous from out wide, with a false 9 linking the forward play from the middle.

Not Gallagher’s strength, in my opinion - I’d have him central and fire balls into him.

However the last couple of seasons as a wide forward will have made him more of a rounded player and if JDT can use his knowledge and experience to get more out of SG, I honestly think he’ll have an excellent season this year.

The interesting bit is that Vale may well be the ‘false 9’ in the middle, based on how well he’s done in pre season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

If JDT can improve Gallagher's back to goal and aeriel game he will be a much better forward. His focus, bizarrely despite his height and strength and lack of dribbling or crossing ability, has always been running with the ball wide. I don't really buy this is 100% Mowbray, I suspect it is part of his own personal preference too. 

I am curious to see what happens under JDT and if he can really be changed.

he did play as a proper centre forward under coyle and  looked very useful,mowbray did sidetrack him,to me he lacks agression,for someone 6" 4 he should be a right handful,i don`t think you can teach that,it`s either in you or not,tiny taylor had all the attributes bar the aggresion,if he`d had andy todds nature with his ability he`d have played for england

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Gallagher has never played ‘on the wing’, he’s been deployed as a wide striker and it was part of his development plan, as it had (successfully) been for Armstrong and Brereton.

All different players, but the end game was to have a nuisance of a forward cutting in and being dangerous from out wide, with a false 9 linking the forward play from the middle.

Not Gallagher’s strength, in my opinion - I’d have him central and fire balls into him.

However the last couple of seasons as a wide forward will have made him more of a rounded player and if JDT can use his knowledge and experience to get more out of SG, I honestly think he’ll have an excellent season this year.

The interesting bit is that Vale may well be the ‘false 9’ in the middle, based on how well he’s done in pre season.

There was quite a few games he was pretty rigidly out wide although not operating as a winger.  Others he seemed to have license to roam around inside more.  Either way non of it suited him and as a development plan for a guy his age and size  it was totally flawed and has not only hampered him but the team as a whole.

That was Mowbray all over though.

To be fair to Gally hes always worked hard and hes nabbed a few goals but 95% of his good work here has been sheer workrate and goals when hes got into central positions.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

There was quite a few games he was pretty rigidly out wide although not operating as a winger.  Others he seemed to have license to roam around inside more.  Either way non of it suited him and as a development plan for a guy his age and size  it was totally flawed and has not only hampered him but the team as a whole.

That was Mowbray all over though.

To be fair to Gally hes always worked hard and hes nabbed a few goals but 95% of his good work here has been sheer workrate and goals when hes got into central positions.

There’s only one place he should be playing - up front near the centre.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s only one place he should be playing - up front near the centre.

I was quite encouraged by Gally yesterday, particularly when he was moving centrally. There was a strong run he made in the second half where he burst past two defenders, got himself a clear sight on goal inside the box but couldn't finish. He really should have buried it. He could have had a hat-trick with better finishing.

He's clumsy at times, first touch can let him down, but he is a strong runner with the ball and can be a nuisance down the middle. It's wild how we saw him on the right so many times when it clearly didn't work. He's had a chunk of his time here wasted in an uncomfortable role, IMO.

• Like 3

Great photo of our following on Saturday.

The God Save The Queen and anti pope goading of the Celtic fans by that group of 17 year old, weed smoking pea brains could have caused problems for Rovers fans after the game. Plenty of Rovers fans in blue and white walking down the Gallowgate after the game, good natured banter and chatting with Celtic supporters. Just how it should be.

0AAB2F37-12F9-4EDE-AFF0-0B068E10C337.png

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

The God Save The Queen and anti pope goading of the Celtic fans by that group of 17 year old, weed smoking pea brains could have caused problems for Rovers fans after the game. Plenty of Rovers fans in blue and white walking down the Gallowgate after the game, good natured banter and chatting with Celtic supporters. Just how it should be.

Yeah same could be said for the stick your fkin royal family up your arse plus others, it’s a football match,  shit happens , never a reason for violence

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I went to the UEFA cup game there a few years back. It was pretty good natured that night, including a couple of Celtic fans taking me and a mate in a home pub for a couple of pints. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didn't Rovers start the work on the pitch after this event and want the pitch to be good condition for the 1st home game. 

I know Rovers are having open training day on it Monday 25th July

I would never suggest that 

On a side note to these discussions, I'm interested to know if you had the meeting today with Mr Waggot?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lraC said:

I went to the UEFA cup game there a few years back. It was pretty good natured that night, including a couple of Celtic fans taking me and a mate in a home pub for a couple of pints. 

They were fine in Glasgow and I had a very enjoyable night in the pub after the game but there were some truly horrible types that came down for the return match at Ewood, hanging off lampposts and on walls outside Ewood shouting pro-Irish, anti-English slogans.

If I'd had a gun......

On 18/07/2022 at 11:24, Claytons Left Boot said:

The singing of the national anthem simply provoked the Sellick fans to sing “stand up if you hate the queen”. I was openly supporting The Rovers in their end with no trouble whatsoever. They were actually quite pleased that there was an edge to the game in truth.

• Like 3

On 18/07/2022 at 20:24, Claytons Left Boot said:

Birdie front and centre?!!