BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

6 minutes ago, goozburger said:

😲 That's an extreme change of opinion form just a few weeks ago: "Jdt can fucking resign. Fuck off you gormless bastard"

That was heat of the moment.  I've never said he's a great manager but compared to the shit we've had previously he's by far the best

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

That was heat of the moment.  I've never said he's a great manager but compared to the shit we've had previously he's by far the best

To be honest, I was seriously wondering about his abilities in the Dingle away game and Preston home game (amongst a few others). Those two are the ones that hurt and were embarrassing. Overall, though, he's done a good job, and there's a reason he is being linked in the nationals to better jobs.

My first choice would be that he stays and gets more of the players in that suit his style of play. If not, I'm more hopeful than before that we'll make a good appointment thereafter.

I don't want to arse-licken the Greggen, but I think he knows what the club has to do. We have to start making money on assets at the right time, and do our best to replace them. In a way, that's how we operated under the Walker Trust. Unfortunately, we're in a far worse starting position, but I think it's the only way we're going to be able to start functioning properly as a club again. Sell an asset for the right price at the right time, reinvest as best we can, and move on. I feel as though we've been hanging on too stupidly or sentimentally to players. That'll be down to the owners.

• Like 2

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I hope JDT stays and continues his good work but if he goes I’m inclined to just go fuck it. Ring Neil warnock give him a 12 month contract and just go for it however he wants to play . 

He said recently he only wants to work from February onwards now, so unless we were offering him a pretty huge warchest I doubt he'd be interested. Our chance with him was in 2016, and we blew it because the people in charge of the club are absolutely clueless and genuinely thought Owen Coyle was a better option. Presumably solely based on the criteria he'd work for less, as there was literally no other reason to appoint him ahead of Warnock.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goozburger said:

To be honest, I was seriously wondering about his abilities in the Dingle away game and Preston home game (amongst a few others). Those two are the ones that hurt and were embarrassing. Overall, though, he's done a good job, and there's a reason he is being linked in the nationals to better jobs.

My first choice would be that he stays and gets more of the players in that suit his style of play. If not, I'm more hopeful than before that we'll make a good appointment thereafter.

I don't want to arse-licken the Greggen, but I think he knows what the club has to do. We have to start making money on assets at the right time, and do our best to replace them. In a way, that's how we operated under the Walker Trust. Unfortunately, we're in a far worse starting position, but I think it's the only way we're going to be able to start functioning properly as a club again. Sell an asset for the right price at the right time, reinvest as best we can, and move on. I feel as though we've been hanging on too stupidly or sentimentally to players. That'll be down to the owners.

Agree with some of that but I have zero faith we'll make a good appointment if jdt leaves

21 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The club brought JDT in and if he goes you have to safely assume they can hire as competently again. 

Wouldn't want Russell Martin myself.

If the club had acted competently in January, maybe we wouldn’t be in a position where our head coach might leave.

I don’t think it’s safe to assume anything with these owners, other than to expect repeated failure.

• Like 1

Really depressing reading that “we can’t compete with Feyenoord” and having to acknowledge its true, particularly having seen us literally compete with them not too long before Venky’s came along and fucked us up for generations.

If we are in a position where we are looking for a new manager the worry is that once again it just becomes a big reset button on “the project”. The usual lack of urgency, the same old dumbing down of expectations.

The only question I’d be asking any potential new manager this summer would be “So, what’s your plan to get us promoted this year?”

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, martonrover said:

If the club had acted competently in January, maybe we wouldn’t be in a position where our head coach might leave.

I don’t think it’s safe to assume anything with these owners, other than to expect repeated failure.

No matter what we did in January if this job came up and was offered JDT then he would have  been off

7 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Looking back at the January window, I think it's become fairly clear that the club's administrative staff were at fault for not getting O'Brien and Brierley over the line. I know Broughton has said he shoulders responsibility for the window as a whole, but it's not his role to do the paperwork (or even oversee it) when you have senior staff involved with that.

However, I think there was a naivety from Broughton regarding Deniz Undav. The moment Undav started to umm and ahh, we should have perhaps moved on and not hung on to wait for his decision (if that's how it unravelled late on).

I believe there was another striker that we were trying to bring in on the day, but ultimately, we didn't. The striker issue is on Broughton's shoulders, and I suspect this is more the issue (not having another striker through the door) that JDT had a problem with, rather than a not getting two non-essential midfielders through the door.

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

Looking back at the January window, I think it's become fairly clear that the club's administrative staff were at fault for not getting O'Brien and Brierley over the line. I know Broughton has said he shoulders responsibility for the window as a whole, but it's not his role to do the paperwork (

Why go having a meal and drinks in Manchester? Why not get him in the building,  sign all the shit on time and then take him to the local Michelin star place about a mile from Brockhall for something to eat.

Gregg is a knob

Its logical for Nixon et al to link JDT there but, should Slot leave, would the Dutch champions really want to replace one of the hottest young managers in Europe with the manager of the 7th placed team in the English second division? Given the history he has there he might well be in their thoughts but I would expect them to be setting their sights quite high 

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

No matter what we did in January if this job came up and was offered JDT then he would have  been off

Perhaps not if a decent window had helped us attain Premier League football.

Then the picture would look very different and there would be a good reason for JDT to stay.

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Why go having a meal and drinks in Manchester? Why not get him in the building,  sign all the shit on time and then take him to the local Michelin star place about a mile from Brockhall for something to eat.

Gregg is a knob

Getting 12 players under contract is at least better than what has gone before.

I agree that fannying around in Manchester also cost us. You would want everything settled, first, and then go for your fancy meal (Broughton smiled when he said "made sure he had food and was looked after"). Having a little chuckle at remembering your "cheese butties and a tin of pop on the coach" comment at the time. 😄

However, the bigger failure than the farce surrounding O'Brien was the failure to get a striker in. That's what cost us in the end - goals.

Edited by goozburger

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Looking back at the January window, I think it's become fairly clear that the club's administrative staff were at fault for not getting O'Brien and Brierley over the line. I know Broughton has said he shoulders responsibility for the window as a whole, but it's not his role to do the paperwork (or even oversee it) when you have senior staff involved with that.

However, I think there was a naivety from Broughton regarding Deniz Undav. The moment Undav started to umm and ahh, we should have perhaps moved on and not hung on to wait for his decision (if that's how it unravelled late on).

I believe there was another striker that we were trying to bring in on the day, but ultimately, we didn't. The striker issue is on Broughton's shoulders, and I suspect this is more the issue (not having another striker through the door) that JDT had a problem with, rather than a not getting two non-essential midfielders through the door.

Yep, pretty much. From memory in interviews afterwards JDT wasn't best pleased with the O'Brien situation, but made it clear that he actually wanted a striker anyway. It's not like we'd been dealt an injury late into January and had to scramble to find a decent striker, either. We'd known we were short in that area since the summer, and it had become obvious very quickly that Hirst wasn't the answer. We had months to sort that position and ended January empty-handed. Simply not good enough and JDT had and has every right to be upset with that, as lack of goals are demonstrably what cost us a playoff place this season.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DE. said:

He said recently he only wants to work from February onwards now, so unless we were offering him a pretty huge warchest I doubt he'd be interested. Our chance with him was in 2016, and we blew it because the people in charge of the club are absolutely clueless and genuinely thought Owen Coyle was a better option. Presumably solely based on the criteria he'd work for less, as there was literally no other reason to appoint him ahead of Warnock.

Ahh didn’t see that

If he goes, he goes. It wouldn’t particularly bother me even though I’ve commented a couple of times about the football being the best we’ve seen since we fell out of the Prem 13 years ago.

Im far more concerned about whether the owners, Broughton, Waggott etc have the knowledge, the ability, the links or anything else needed to put together a squad capable of pushing us towards the top two positions in the league. Threatening the playoff positions isn’t really that much to build on.

Where are the people who know English football inside out? They do exist but not currently at Ewood.

• Like 1

I don't want to lose JDT at all. I think he done a good job and I think he is the man who will take us to the PL and keep us there plus improve the club. I think having GB in the Director of football is has shortlist for people who might leave whether its the head coach or head of medical/sport science department. 12 months ago we didn't this type of thinking. We spent weeks looking for a head coach then GB came in as Director of Football and appointed JDT within a week of his appointment if my memory is correct. 

I have seen Spurs linked with Nagelsmann and Rodgers in the last of couple of hours plus Feyenoord trying to agree a new contract with Slot. 

Tottenham 'reopen talks with Nagelsmann for manager's job but German coach demands assurance over key appointment' | The Sun

Tottenham: Spurs Eye "Absolutely Phenomenal" Manager Move (msn.com)

Tottenham manager news: Spurs double down on Julian Nagelsmann stance as club step up hunt | Evening Standard Says in this article that Feyenoord are trying to agree a new contract with Slot

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

You might have to want chaddy...the club is skint.

We aren't skint tho as we get compensation for JDT going to another club to appoint a new manager. 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

IMO, Martin is a w@nker and not for us.

Will bomb at Southampton just as Nathan Jones did (wrong appointment at wrong time).

Yes he has agreed to move to Southampton. The biggest question can Wilcox and Ankersen bring in the players he needs for the style of play he wants to play. Jones was the wrong appointment at the wrong time agreed

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Bottom line is we need a manager to get us up.

Jones did the spade work at Luton - an excellent Championship team.

If he could complement what we have with some aggression, physicality, will to win and bottle, he'd feckin do for me!  Whether he can do it in the PL - let's get there first.

I wouldn't want Jones as Rovers head coach at all thanks. No suited to our playing squad or youth development. JDT is still here and I confidence he will get us to PL and we will make some good signings this summer. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Same criteria will apply if JDT leaves. I doubt there will be a "seamless transition."

Clueless Venkys still a millstone around our necks.