BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

I was expecting to be closer to relegation than the play offs at the beginning of the season, so to be in with a play off chance is obviously better. As someone else pointed out, our forward line is pretty crap, and Brereton has given up. So what more can JDT do when he came in late, and has had to work with twonks like the Raos, Waggott and Sylvester? A manager or head coach can only do so much when those at the top are disinterested and stupid. 

Mowbray was given 5 years to do very little, yet a few seem fairly happy to trust the owners and Waggott to bin someone after 1 season and find someone better. The same people who thought Coyle, Kean and Appleton were the right guys to manage the club. The same people who starved the budget to such an extent that we once had a squad with Chris Brown, Nathan Delfonso, Danny Guthrie and an aging Wes Brown not so long after Rhodes and Gestede were playing well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Waggot and the Secretary completed the paperwork. The problem was they didn't have the required information to complete it until the last minute, hence why it was late. Who's fault is that no-body knows, but Saint Gregg took responsibility so I'm guessing he knows he's partly to blame.

But all you Saint Gregg lovers keep shouting "But he can't complete the paperwork". 

GB not being able to submit the paperwork means it can’t have been entirely his fault but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t partially at fault.

I guess we’re never going to know because the promised ‘explanation’ has not been given.

Of course, the more ‘layers’ of management you have, the harder it is to attribute blame.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, booth said:

What do you change them to though?

There's no correct pick for first team with that squad, there's no correct sub. Our forward options have been poor for more than this season, they did exactly the same last season. And I'll be glad to see the back of Brereton. Even if we did manage to get into the play offs we'll be relying on him to perform. He didn't even look match fit yesterday.

I've seen opposition teams have players on the bench who can change a game. We have none of that.

Leonard and Dack for Diaz and Dolan

34 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

GB not being able to submit the paperwork means it can’t have been entirely his fault but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t partially at fault.

I guess we’re never going to know because the promised ‘explanation’ has not been given.

Exactly. The only thing we can go off is GB saying he accepts responsibility. So I'm taking him at face value and blaming him.

• Like 1

JDT reminds me a little of arteta. Similar to arteta, some of the performances in his early days were truly dreadful as he tried to change the way we played but a cup run offered promise. You can now see improvements in performances but we lack a cutting edge and have a tendency to “bottle it” not unlike Arsenal. Arteta has had some big money signings to help his “project” and that’s where I feel JDT’s project may fail. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, all you need is duff said:

JDT reminds me a little of arteta. Similar to arteta, some of the performances in his early days were truly dreadful as he tried to change the way we played but a cup run offered promise. You can now see improvements in performances but we lack a cutting edge and have a tendency to “bottle it” not unlike Arsenal. Arteta has had some big money signings to help his “project” and that’s where I feel JDT’s project may fail. 

I've been thinking this too - I think it's pretty accurate, the similarities are eerie. 

On another note, has anyone watched Boro recently? I've no idea how he's doing as a manager really, must be doing OK obviously, but any failings with Carrick are masked by having a 28 goal striker. All JDT's tactical decisions, post-match, his subs, etc are all under the microscope without goals. It's all about bloody goals, that's it - with goals the fine, fine margins in the Preston, Coventry, Hull and Wigan games are gone and we're 8 points better off, same as Boro. With more goals SS's shot against Luton is to make it 3-1 not 2-1.

Swap our managers around and are we frustrated with him and looking enviously at JDT? 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 2

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

I've been thinking this too - I think it's pretty accurate, the similarities are eerie. 

On another note, has anyone watched Boro recently? I've no idea how he's doing as a manager really, must be doing OK obviously, but any failings with Carrick are masked by having a 28 goal striker. All JDT's tactical decisions, post-match, his subs, etc are all under the microscope without goals. It's all about bloody goals, that's it - with goals the fine, fine margins in the Preston, Coventry, Hull and Wigan games are gone and we're 8 points better off, same as Boro. With more goals SS's shot against Luton is to make it 3-1 not 2-1.

Swap our managers around and are we frustrated with him and looking enviously at JDT? 

Tbf Mowbray's mistakes weren't masked with a 28 goal striker, nor Bowyer's with the Rhodes/Gestede combo. 

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Tbf Mowbray's mistakes weren't masked with a 28 goal striker, nor Bowyer's with the Rhodes/Gestede combo. 

No I agree, and those seasons go down as terrible wasted opportunities. Can you remember what it was like having someone like Rudy? Insane now, it feels an alien concept.

I was more referring to us vs Boro, stick Akpom at Rovers and we may have beaten Preston and Coventry 2-1. But it's a total moot point anyway as we couldn't attract that kind of player anyway, but just in terms of how we as fans view JDT.

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Why don't we leave a player on the half way line for their corners and set pieces around our box!!!?

Or better still, two!

An attacking intent is the best form of defence.

• Like 2

We should have started yesterday with Thomas and Leonard instead of Diaz and Dolan.

Why keep selecting an, IMO, 'a can't be arsed' Diaz and a 'schoolboy masquerading as a headless chicken' Dolan.  It's tantamount to insanity.

When Dack came on, IMO, he looked fecked and I think he's finished at Rovers and quite possibly at Championship level.

I don't think JDT has any legitimate excuses when he continually fails to to best use the tools at his disposal.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

All JDT's tactical decisions, post-match, his subs, etc are all under the microscope without goals. It's all about bloody goals, that's it - with goals the fine, fine margins in the Preston, Coventry, Hull and Wigan games are gone and we're 8 points better off, same as Boro.

I've been thinking the same. Disallow Coventrys goal, Hedges buries his one on one with the keeper and we get that last minute penalty against Burnley, thats 5 points right there and we're comfortably in the playoffs and that's. Now add a 20 goal striker and some of those small losses where we've dominated the game but not taken our chances turn into victories and we're pushing automatic and JDT is a hero. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Waggot and the Secretary completed the paperwork. The problem was they didn't have the required information to complete it until the last minute, hence why it was late. Who's fault is that no-body knows, but Saint Gregg took responsibility so I'm guessing he knows he's partly to blame.

But all you Saint Gregg lovers keep shouting "But he can't complete the paperwork". 

Waggot was in Birmingham - he's done a bloody good job to complete the paperwork from a hundred miles away.

Saint Steve fucked it up and needs to go, along with his cronie.

9 hours ago, booth said:

Can you coach someone to score? I think we're expecting a bit much here considering our forwards (inc wingers and attacking mids) haven't been prolific under multiple managers if you look at their scoring records, aside from Dack for a couple of seasons pre injury.

Are you serious? 

Of course you can. That's why football has coaches.

Look at any team anywhere and see how good coaches develop players into better players.

JDT has been coaching them to pass better press better and control possession but he needs to focus on getting players into the box.

Dolan looks like he tried yesterday. He actually took shots. So did JRC. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Groundhog said:

Yes agreed. I think our trajectory is similar to Arsenal's and Arteta but lets see if Jdt gets support and finances. Venkys are a lot worse than what arsenal have. We are 3 years behind them too. And obviously a different level 

For all those defending GB a blind man in a blind fold could tell you we needed a striker in jan before anything else why was a proven goal scorer not a priority

Does this club actually want promotion this is two seasons on the trot where a little bit in Jan could have got us over the line

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

Not if it had worked but he's being questioned anyway and i'll say it again one win in 8 says what he has been doing has not been working.

However he just stands behind this 'great performance' gubbins which competing with Burnley aside hasn't been the case for a long while now.  Like Mowbray before him dominating possession stats seems to be the only thing that matter when judging how good a performance actually was.

Chances created, goals scored and wins clocked up - whatever happened to all that !

I just don't think starting Thomas, Dack and Leonard wouldn't have made much of a difference because we've struggled to score all season with different personnel. Though I agree on dropping Brereton as he's the real world equivalent of playing Fifa with lag at the moment.

53 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Are you serious? 

Of course you can. That's why football has coaches.

Look at any team anywhere and see how good coaches develop players into better players.

JDT has been coaching them to pass better press better and control possession but he needs to focus on getting players into the box.

Dolan looks like he tried yesterday. He actually took shots. So did JRC. 

If it was that simple then teams wouldn't spend stupid amounts of money on better players.

There's good players and bad players and there's not much coaches can do if a player is particularly poor, or won't listen, that's why they get sold on and end up as a journeyman in the lower leagues. Sure good coaching may yield improvements but I've seen the likes of Gallagher & Dolan under two different managers and their play is exactly the same, they make the same mistakes. I can only assume that it's a player issue. Hedges was well known as inconsistent well before he arrived here. Brereton can't be arsed. Leonard is only 19. Before Gallagher was injured he was strolling into the box as players were on the wing, and he's been doing it since he's been here - that's on the player. I think we're expecting too much from the squad.