BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 22-23

Dunno I think chaddy raises a good point. The super league is far more attractive to the likes of Italy and Spain who are being left behind financially by the Premier league cos of TV rights and the fact its a billionaires play ground. 

The purpose of revenue for clubs like city, Chelsea and now Newcastle is to increase FFP headroom, not to make a quick buck. When you're backed by a nation state, tv rights a drop in the ocean and a billionaire could make better returns on the stock market rather than sinking 4bn into Chelsea. 

I'm not saying they wouldn't go but I think it's less attractive to English clubs as all the financial power sits with the PL and this shifts some of that to Europe. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

His last 7 games yielding 0 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses. Regardless of the subsequent search, how anyone can justify him staying on is beyond me.

You seem to just be against sacking managers regardless of results, case in point at Everton where they have already improved.

I think Leeds were playing well under Marsch from what I watched of them. Leeds would have stayed up under Marsch for me  

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You are also naive about the Premier League clubs if something comes up that it is better for them financially. 

No it's not naive at all cos there is a number of reasons why it won't now or in the future. Only certain foriegn clubs want it happen. 

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I don’t need to watch a video, money talks. They’ll all find ways to get out of their obligations via legal loopholes paid for by legal teams we could only dream of affording. It’s just reality, people often say one thing and mean another.

But there is no appetite from English clubs to join an European Super league anymore plus with the PL owners committing to the PL and Government white paper also will prevent this. Those top 6 teams fans don't want it either. Only Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus want it cos of the huge financial mess there are in. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

@chaddyroversLet’s just say for a minute, that City end up suffering all these expected sanctions. If they feel wronged and the Super League end up dangling a massive financial carrot, you not think they’d be tempted? Then they go, start signing the best players, get even richer, then there would be temptation for other clubs and so it goes on. 

No point, K-Hod. Yer man just takes every bit of PR guff at face value, so if the official line from a Man City is ‘no ESL’, that is therefore set in stone and couldn’t possibly ever change due to the avarice of those involved…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 09:32, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s too much money to be made. It’ll happen.

My guess is that it is, at least partly, a strategy to keep the Champions League expanding and, effectively, becoming a European League. Apparently, from 2024, the new Champs League will have a single league stage and the tournament as a whole will now be 189 games, compared to the 125 currently. English clubs might publicly reject the ESL, these days, but I would bet they want it to keep rumbling on in some way.

There will be 36 clubs (increased from 32) going into a single league, playing eight games each. Two of the additional four places were intended to be selected based on  individual clubs' past record in Europe. Now, two places will go to the league whose clubs have collectively done the best in Europe, I believe - which currently is the Prem and the Erevidisie, according to the BBC.

The effect of this collective achievement extra place will be that it will be in the interests of most, if not all, Premier League clubs for Man City, for example, to dominate Europe and, arguably, to grant them as much slack as possible - so that a floating extra Champions League place comes to England on a yearly basis.

It would be frowned upon for Blackburn, or another smaller club, to ever get back into Europe (as we did in the early 2000s) because the chances of us boosting the Premier League's coefficient are much slimmer. It is, possibly, a further incentive for oligarchy, especially, in regards how the Premier League clubs vote in league decision-making with more power granted to the wealthiest. It could even influence transfer sales - Tottenham would have an additional and significant incentive to sell Kane to City or Utd, rather than abroad.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

Publicly, Barca and Real are the ones pushing it.

Make no mistake though, Europe's biggest clubs will be all over this behind the scenes, just as they were the first time around.

The English clubs won't make the same comms mistakes twice. Last time, they quickly distanced themseleves as a result of the public relations disaster that it was. They'll now be biding their time, waiting for right moment and opportunity to publicly throw their hat in the ring again.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Leeds were playing well under Marsch from what I watched of them. Leeds would have stayed up under Marsch for me  

No it's not naive at all cos there is a number of reasons why it won't now or in the future. Only certain foriegn clubs want it happen. 

But there is no appetite from English clubs to join an European Super league anymore plus with the PL owners committing to the PL and Government white paper also will prevent this. Those top 6 teams fans don't want it either. Only Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus want it cos of the huge financial mess there are in. 

Leeds couldnt win a game, they were heading in one direction.

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

@chaddyroversLet’s just say for a minute, that City end up suffering all these expected sanctions. If they feel wronged and the Super League end up dangling a massive financial carrot, you not think they’d be tempted? Then they go, start signing the best players, get even richer, then there would be temptation for other clubs and so it goes on. 

interesting situation and I think in those they might be tempted but given the current situation, the agreement between the PL and clubs owners plus what will come from the Government white paper on football I see the European Super league has a none starter. 

Man City have plenty of money and have sign the best players already. Money isn't the problem for them

2 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Publicly, Barca and Real are the ones pushing it.

Make no mistake though, Europe's biggest clubs will be all over this behind the scenes, just as they were the first time around.

Of Course Real Madrid and Barca are the ones pushing it cos they are in huge financial problems and debt plus aren't owned by like our clubs are. 

Bayern, Dortmund and PSG were against this idea last time and I don't see that changing any time soon. 

2 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

The English clubs won't make the same comms mistakes twice. Last time, they quickly distanced themseleves as a result of the public relations disaster that it was. They'll now be biding their time, waiting for right moment and opportunity to publicly throw their hat in the ring again.

Given that 2 of those clubs are up for sale who are both owned by American people, that they realised now given the public backlash from their own fanbase, manager and players plus the outraged from the media and general public that this European Super League is non-starter and they now went out when they can get the price for the club will be the most they can sell for. 

• Moderation Lead

Southampton were 1-0 up, then lost 2-1 in the end, Wolves had 10 men for over an hour, too. Nathan Jones will be getting canned soon I imagine and I’m not sad about it, I’ll be honest…

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Doesnt mean they werent right to sack a manager who couldnt win a game.

Like I have always said before sacking a manager/head coach you should have one line up to replace them. 

Looks like Leeds ready to move for Steven Gerrard as their next boss after a number of rejections. Leeds ponder Steven Gerrard appointment and bringing in former Liverpool team-mate to help (msn.com)

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Southampton were 1-0 up, then lost 2-1 in the end, Wolves had 10 men for over an hour, too. Nathan Jones will be getting canned soon I imagine and I’m not sad about it, I’ll be honest…

strange appointment but I would like to know why Southampton director Rasmus Ankersen picked. I wonder how much involvement with incoming director of football Jason Wilcox will have on the next appointment which looks likely according to reports that Jones is on the brink of being sacked there

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I have always said before sacking a manager/head coach you should have one line up to replace them. 

Looks like Leeds ready to move for Steven Gerrard as their next boss after a number of rejections. Leeds ponder Steven Gerrard appointment and bringing in former Liverpool team-mate to help (msn.com)

strange appointment but I would like to know why Southampton director Rasmus Ankersen picked. I wonder how much involvement with incoming director of football Jason Wilcox will have on the next appointment which looks likely according to reports that Jones is on the brink of being sacked there

Gerrard is a crap manager. That being said, I refuse to believe that there is no willing manager in world football that couldnt improve on the terrible results that would have led to relegation under Marsch.

• Like 1