BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 22-23

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Agree....much-maligned these days but has actually done a good job at most clubs he's been at. 

I agree with you. He is a good manager. He was a Gerrard slip away from a title with Liverpool. 

He did well with Leicester, this season notwithstanding. He didn't get to spend much, and I think the loss of Schmeichel really hurt them.

He does struggle at the end of seasons and is not the most defensively savvy but it looks like no top tier manager wants to work with Levy so Spurs have to cut their cloth accordingly. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

no surprised they are looking Rodgers. I did say a few weeks ago to @roversfan99that I thought Rodgers would get the Spurs job and he was a good fit for Spurs. Its huge rebuilding job plus any prospect new head coach will want to know who the Director of football is first. Spurs need signings defensive and keeper wise plus they need to work out what their best formation is and actually attack teams.  

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Leicester down this year, Spurs down next?

Leicester was up against it when they sold Schmeichel to Nice. Plus lack of good signings over the last 2 years hasn't help it. But Rodgers did win the FA cup with Leicester only a couple of seasons ago 

• Backroom
4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Sensible by Levy to approach someone who won't turn him down as so desperate to stay in the PL.

There are only so many slap downs even Levy can take.

He may even turn out a decent appointment.

As far as Rodgers is concerned, the club has to keep an eye on when things start to go downhill. He tends to start well and then decline after a couple of seasons. They'd need to be decisive as and when that potentially occurs. I think he'd do okay there for a season or two. 

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

As far as Rodgers is concerned, the club has to keep an eye on when things start to go downhill. He tends to start well and then decline after a couple of seasons. They'd need to be decisive as and when that potentially occurs. I think he'd do okay there for a season or two. 

At Leicester Rodgers had them finishing 5th, 5th and 8th in his first 3 seasons, qualified for the Europa League twice and won the FA Cup for the first time in Leicester's history. Also won the Community Shield.

His final season was hampered by the effect that COVID had had on the owners business and its reduced investment in the team.

One can argue he still had sufficient talent in the team to put up a better show.

Lack of investment has caused this season's problems.

He is a PL standard manager but they can only produce with continuos financial support in the money hungry PL.

And I'm not his greatest fan, think he's a bit too 'smooth' for my taste.

• Like 3

• Backroom

He's got a bit of David Brent about him, but I agree that his polarising personality causes people to exaggerate regarding his effectiveness as a manager. Nonetheless I do think he has a shelf life, but then so do most managers. A lot of clubs aren't good at being ruthless when there are obvious signs of sustained decline. 

22 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Lampard should never get another job in football management. This incredibly talented Chelsea team look like they met for the first time on the car park before the match. 

They don't look talented at the moment, They look like a load of individuals waiting in limbo for next season. They've have learned first hand that Lampard isn't capable, know he won't be coming back, so have collectively decided to call it early for 2022-23. 

All whilst sitting on 7 year contracts. Why should they bother? 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

chelsea just can't finish. creating plenty of good chances. 

They lack a quality number 9 striker 

Plus a decent manager, a coherent way of playing, a competent transfer strategy, and effective ownership. 

They have a good manager coming in in Pochettino which will fix 1 and 2, but 4 is a wild card that affects 3, which could then become a problem for 1 and 2. 

Chelsea have a long way to go. A goalscorer won't solve anything.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

They don't look talented at the moment, They look like a load of individuals waiting in limbo for next season. They've have learned first hand that Lampard isn't capable, know he won't be coming back, so have collectively decided to call it early for 2022-23. 

All whilst sitting on 7 year contracts. Why should they bother? 

Nah you can tell they're all really talented players - they're going to need a kick up the backside though. The new manager has got a task on his hands, but he has a wonderfully talented squad - still needs a striker, mind and they need to stop playing Gallagher upfront. 

I had to chuckle when Neville realised their best player is only on loan without an option to buy - that Felix is utterly brilliant. I wonder where he'll be next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Plus a decent manager, a coherent way of playing, a competent transfer strategy, and effective ownership. 

They have a good manager coming in in Pochettino which will fix 1 and 2, but 4 is a wild card that affects 3, which could then become a problem for 1 and 2. 

Chelsea have a long way to go. A goalscorer won't solve anything.

Chelsea need a plan and stick with it. Pochettino and the 2 Sporting Directors to run the football side. 

Pochettino need to find a style of play and formation that suits these players he has then 4 quality signings then things will improve asap

16 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Nah you can tell they're all really talented players - they're going to need a kick up the backside though. The new manager has got a task on his hands, but he has a wonderfully talented squad - still needs a striker, mind and they need to stop playing Gallagher upfront. 

I had to chuckle when Neville realised their best player is only on loan without an option to buy - that Felix is utterly brilliant. I wonder where he'll be next season. 

I was agreeing with you. None of them have any confidence or idea of what to do which has resulted in 11 individuals, usually a different combo too, rather than a team playing every week.

Mudryk came in on a massive fee. He looked decent in his first game but has looked completely lost since. Enzo Fernandez is another. £100m fee. World Cup winner. He looks like a deer in headlights.

Pochettino needs to get rid of a lot of players. It will be interesting to see how he does it. Many of them are on big money so may be reluctant to leave as other clubs won't pay the same for players who have underperformed. 

They will be better next season, as will Liverpool. Until proven otherwise it's City's title to lose but they won't have it as easy. 

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can you explain why? 

Looks like he is one of Spurs board wanted ones but Levy not keen. read that Daniel Levy wanted the Celtic manager. 

Because he isn't a very good manager IMO. A club that regularly challenge for the top 4 need better than a manager primarily responsible for taking a team down.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Because he isn't a very good manager IMO. A club that regularly challenge for the top 4 need better than a manager primarily responsible for taking a team down.

fair enough. I think Spurs need a manager who will play attacking football and get the fans excite again. 

Lets not forget that Rodgers won the FA cup with Leicester and had European football there. Yes this season has been disaster but I think alot of that is down poor signings made in the last 2 years, losing their captain Kasper Schmeichel and lack of ability to bring in players this season has cause their downfall for me  

Do Tottenham "need" to play pretty attacking football? Im sure a manager who got them back in the top 4 and won a trophy would "excite" their fans more. In fact, any manager who did come in would start by gutting the defence and getting shut of the likes of Dier and Sanchez.