BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 3/9/22

9 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Not seen a game as poor as this in a long time. Irritating trying to build from the back when we don't have quality team.  

Therein lies the problem.

The manager may have changed, but the same problems still remain, lack or quality and lack of money to improve in that area.

But JDT needs time.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

The concerns about JDT remain.

We looked a very sterile side. The only tactic seemed to be - pass it along the back until it gets to the full back > full back chips it forward and infield to central player with big defender up his arse > lose ball. There was no invention and no excitement. Essentially a really dull brand of football. Very Italian, very clinical, very sterile. Unlike the Italians though we are easy to play and score against. 

Like others have said, it seems very ill-suited to the Championship. 

We looked a lot better when Buckley and Dolan came on simply because they travelled with the ball a bit more. Buckley needs to be playing every week, he just oozes class. 

Bristol City were big, strong and well-organised. They had some quality and experience along their front line. But they were beatable. We were just garbage. 

Positives: Carter looks a beast and has a lot of potential, and Hyam played well. Hirst can at least run the channels and is mobile, he needs service though and I'm not sure he'll get if with the system we play. 

Quite worried all-in-all - worried that JDT isn't up to it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Is there only me that thought Eden did ok compared to those that had been on before him. (apart from his J-Lowe cross field pass).

Personally, I’m not seeing much from Morton yet.

He's a L1 player.

Thankfully JDT has worked out that he's not a FB. Fingers crossed he doesn't get a look in at CM too moving forward. 

Second Saturday on the run I’ve been remarkably underwhelmed as to how the manager has set up the team. I understand his first two CB’s are missing, but Travis isn’t a RB in a million years, and I’m still mystified as to BBD’s role on wide left is. Very poor home performance for the second week running. We never got out of the traps. Ewood is no fortress unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Therein lies the problem.

The manager may have changed, but the same problems still remain, lack or quality and lack of money to improve in that area.

But JDT needs time.

Difficult to judge JDT when he has three first team defenders out, no real strikers to call on and midfielders who play when they want. Add to that the mass exodus in pre-season, and his wish of bringing in Dembele not happening and he's a lot to sort out.

Be interesting to see at which point he has enough.

• Like 1

Disappointing to lose, but we have to be patient with this group of young players. I can see us having a yo-yo season, win one lose one, such is the inconsistency when you have a group of players who can’t sustain a high standard every game. Those blaming the manger at this early stage are being very unfair on him, he’s on a learning curve too. Like most football fans these days, there’s no sense of perspective or patience.

• Like 3

We've got all the players in now, window closed, and a week to prepare before Wigan. Hopefully S Wharton back as he is missed.

We've got a 12 game run now till the derby with only the Watford tie looking a nailed on defeat. All 11 other games we should be competitive in.

Really expecting JDT to make us a lot more solid, get a settled side together, and get some good results.

This was not a 2-3 game, they were much better than us.

Better tactics and hungrier than us.

I cannot understand why we did not adrees the dire need for a RB and CF (ideally one with pace), should've pushed the boat out for Dembele, looks like I could be 2nd window that us not being more decisive on him may cost us.

Even though Khadra was a headless chicken he was fast and could run with the ball, at his worse, he gave us an outlet.

Also for me, the manager and coaching team are no influencing real time play enough, this is a tool that should be used, especially when we are so bad! 

I'm giving JDT this season and as long as we don't get relegated Im good with that..

But things have to improve otherwise we are in for a tough season.

• Like 1

An absolute shambles for the second home game running and some real worrying signs both from the players and from the manager.

Tomasson got his team selection wrong today, Travis at right back was an ongoing disaster, he signed a centre back this week but even if you say right he has gone unchanged from Wednesday, his subs and decision making on the back of that were shocking.

Defensively, Hyam was the best although his part in their first was really naive. Not sure what game the person who awarded the man of the match was watching, Carter was somewhat out of his depth including a ludicrous pass in the second half that put Wells in. Pickering is an easy scapegoat at the moment, he was neither particularly good nor one of our very worst performers and Travis as mentioned was a massive liability throughout.

Both of the midfield two really struggled, Wharton's touch was off and he kept slipping and/or losing it and Morton was horrendous, kept giving the ball away and trying stupid passes. Hedges often takes one touch too many, neither him and Dack were great but why take them off at half time? Brereton was really poor but did again score and also made runs that repeatedly weren't found.

The 2 forwards, wow. Hirst aside from one decent run in the first minute had a very poor debut, he kept getting caught offside, he was weak, he couldn't hold it up and he never looked like scoring. And Jack Vale, why he keeps getting minutes under a manager who had such a great history as a striker himself is scandalous, he has literally nothing good to his game, no pace, no strength, technically poor, summed up by that shot at the end. Why is Markanday behind him?!

And the subs made no sense, there was a blatant weakness in our defence that was ignored at half time, we had a Tomasson signed centre back on the bench, why ignore him? Dolan had an impact but Buckley was not an upgrade on Dack.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Thought Bristol looked a good outfit, better than us in every deparment.  Thiught we kooked leggy and sluggish all over the pitch today.  No need to panic yet.  

I thought they were bang average, we just gave them the ball back repeatedly and let them at it.

They had something we didn't, an experienced centre forward who can score.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Thought Bristol looked a good outfit, better than us in every deparment.  Thiught we kooked leggy and sluggish all over the pitch today.  No need to panic yet.  

I agree. They were strong, well organised, and had a bit of nous. They look like playoff material. Rovers looked disjointed. Expecting Morton and Wharton to run the midfield is a tough one.

It may have all been different if Hedges ball to the face went in. 

I should stop watching games. It's now 1 win in about 10 for me.

Can't see any comments about it, so gonna ask. Did nobody else hear a whistle before their third goal was struck? Everyone I was with, and people around me in the BBE did. Doesn't seem to be any mention of it but the whistle stops the game. Bristol fans didn't fully celebrate either at first so I assumed they heard it. Was it from the stands or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

This team stinks of mowbray's mismanagement. Hes left us with a shitpile of dross. It's going to take alot of work to get things right

For how long will any poor performance in the Tomasson reign be blamed back on Mowbray?

Tomasson got his team wrong and his subs wrong. He had his "main striker target" up front and he was crap. He had a centre back he signed this week on the bench when we needed him, had Mowbray mentioned the "bedding him in" rhetoric he would have somewhat justifiably been criticised.

That is the second home game in a row that I’ve walked out early. The scoreline flattered us.

The midfield was once again major issue. You could have drove a 747 through it today. I honestly believe it’s down to the way we’re set up. We’re far too wide as a unit. We also created very little. 

If things don’t change, we’re in a relegation battle. JDT is increasingly looking like he’s out of his depth. I get the sense he’s trying to play something the squad isn’t capable of. 

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 4

Just now, bluebruce said:

Can't see any comments about it, so gonna ask. Did nobody else hear a whistle before their third goal was struck? Everyone I was with, and people around me in the BBE did. Doesn't seem to be any mention of it but the whistle stops the game. Bristol fans didn't fully celebrate either at first so I assumed they heard it. Was it from the stands or something?

It was the referee who had seen that a goal had shown on his watch.

He needs to wise up and accept he can't play how he wants to in this league with this squad it isn't Malmo.

We have injuries obviously that are having an impact can't ignore the loss of Ayala and Brittain however tactically we are all over the place.  People like Pearson will sniff this from all the way down in Bristol, Mowbray will as well i hate to say it but it's resembling early Coyle stuff.  Capable of the odd game where it clicks but overall pretty clueless there needs to be a rethink.

I think any boss here now though is just going to throw players in and out and make odd subs just to get people on. All the club wants to do is develop players and put value into them rather than build a solid side to have a go.

So if that's the case we need an identity and solid style of play to allow it trying to be clever will only end one way.  It's early days but there has been a pattern emerging for quite a while and it's concerning.

• Like 6

Just now, bluebruce said:

I was very confused about that goal. But watching it back the ball had crossed the line when Kaminski “saved” the second effort. Ref will have blown as soon as the goal line technology beeped in his ear or whatever it does. 

• Like 1