BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

2 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

It's a good deal for us.    Good price, an exciting player, whether he can bring that Championship form from last season into the Premier League remains to be seen but he's someone I've wanted to bring on board here at Portman Road for some time now.      We've made a number of new signings since end of season in hope to strengthen the side and now that we've all but got Smodzics, (then) some of the others now don't seem entirely necessary.

But - you've been done over I'm afraid.     9 million for a player of that potential and shown ability, it's a derisory fee for Rovers fans and you've every right to feel anger or injustice.    We signed Hutchinson from Chelsea a few weeks earlier on a proper deal after a loan spell and for twice the amount but I don't feel he's quite as exciting a prospect as Smodzics.     The fault lies with your owners and directors for allowing the player away so cheaply.    All things considered and in today's market where it's often hard to put an actual valuation on any one player I would have expected to see Smodzics leave for nothing less than 15 million and think that was the original price you put on the player but your owners have obviously reneged on their initial promise and allowed the player to go for a cut of the intended fee.     It's great for us of course but there's a player there who's worth considerably more than that.

We've now got  forward players I feel we just don't need.    Delap is supposed to be a big signing but questioned it from day one and with Smodzics now in the team how often will he even start or feature.    Others like Harness, Ladapo, Al Hamadi for example can contribute but with some of the better attacking potential we now possess, just can't always see them needed.

I think we'll do OK next season in the EPL.     Won't be whipped each and every week and would hope to give a good account of ourselves or even provide some respectability to our involvement back there again. 

Hutchinson is 8 years younger though, thats the key difference. Szmodics is a more effective player now, but Hutchinson has another big sale or two if he does well, Szmodics doesnt.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

I think we'll do OK next season in the EPL.     Won't be whipped each and every week and would hope to give a good account of ourselves or even provide some respectability to our involvement back there again. 

I disagree

• Like 3

Thanks Sammie for the memories, goals, performances and rapport with the fans. You are one of my favourite ever Rovers players. 

4 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

Delap is supposed to be a big signing but questioned it from day one

I think you massive overpaid for him. He scored 8 championship goals in 31 games last season and where is his best position. 

How has George Hirst done since joining you? we never got the best out of him sadly for us. You did. 

Good luck Sammy, you deserve a crack at the Prem, not sure how minutes, you will get at Ipswich, I think you thrive on playing every week... 

Can't help thinking, you will be back in the Championship, next season... 

Sammie Szmodics.

Rovers legend? No.

Rovers cult hero? 100% yes.

Him and Adam Wharton have been the only players in the last 14 years that have made it a joy to watch Rovers.

I believe he's going to absolutely smash it in the premiership and reckon he'll bag 15.

Nothing but absolute respect for this fella. Good luck Sammie, show em what you're made of.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 3

At one point I thought the Ipswich sale isn’t going to happen. We would get to keep Sammy one more year. I like the new signings think there’s potential in all of them. 

all I say is thank you Sammy you kept us in champ last season and welcome back anytime. If we draw Ipswich in any cup this year don’t play go sick   come boozer with us free pints all day on us. 😀RTID

2 hours ago, Michael123458 said:

If we draw Ipswich in any cup this year don’t play go sick   come boozer with us free pints all day on us. 😀RTID

Well if we draw them in the Carabao cup he’ll be free to do exactly that because he’s now cup-tied 😬

Wish him well in the Prem and deserves a crack at it. 

He’s done a fantastic job the last 12 months and performed to a level way  above what we and he (I’d wager) could reasonably have expected. That said he’s a handsomely paid employee who has been with us for 2 seasons, not so sure about all the Rovers legend talk on social media. A fleeting bright light in a very dim period. 

Fee wise, doesn’t matter what we got as it’s not being reinvested. I think 10 is a couple of million less than the ceiling but he is a 28 year old with 12 consistently good months in the championship and an average league 1 career prior to that. 

• Like 1

I really hope he tears up the PL, he deserves it.

He's one of those ex-players that I hope comes back for his final years in the game, even if he's just a bench warmer.

Such a shame he never ended as a Rovers legend by firing us to the PL (and a double hat-trick against the dingles home and away).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

Looking slightly lost out on the left wing 

He has better get used to it.  Pretty sure that's where they will be playing him this season.

Looks like when attacking Ipswich will do a similar thing to what Rovers do, but with the left back overlapping and left winger pushing inside rather than the Rovers version where Brittain overlaps from right back and the right "winger" (JRC) moving inside.

Edited by KentExile

5 minutes ago, KentExile said:

He has better get used to it.  Pretty sure that's where they will be playing him this season.

Looks like when attacking Ipswich will do a similar thing to what Rovers do, but with the left back overlapping and left winger pushing inside rather than the Rovers version where Brittain overlaps from right back and the right "winger" (JRC) moving inside.

I think he will.  You'd expect Davies and Szmodics to contribute.  He's certainly scored a few for us coming off the outside.  What he may struggle with is Delap retaining position as the most forwards player.  He's been lethal for us running onto central space and that didn't look there (granted, Vs Liverpool) 

14 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

I think he will.  You'd expect Davies and Szmodics to contribute.  He's certainly scored a few for us coming off the outside.  What he may struggle with is Delap retaining position as the most forwards player.  He's been lethal for us running onto central space and that didn't look there (granted, Vs Liverpool) 

Delap will be dropped for Broja/Hirst, or moved to the right side

On 16/08/2024 at 14:47, not exactly Scarface said:

It's a good deal for us.    Good price, an exciting player, whether he can bring that Championship form from last season into the Premier League remains to be seen but he's someone I've wanted to bring on board here at Portman Road for some time now.      We've made a number of new signings since end of season in hope to strengthen the side and now that we've all but got Smodzics, (then) some of the others now don't seem entirely necessary.

But - you've been done over I'm afraid.     9 million for a player of that potential and shown ability, it's a derisory fee for Rovers fans and you've every right to feel anger or injustice.    We signed Hutchinson from Chelsea a few weeks earlier on a proper deal after a loan spell and for twice the amount but I don't feel he's quite as exciting a prospect as Smodzics.     The fault lies with your owners and directors for allowing the player away so cheaply.    All things considered and in today's market where it's often hard to put an actual valuation on any one player I would have expected to see Smodzics leave for nothing less than 15 million and think that was the original price you put on the player but your owners have obviously reneged on their initial promise and allowed the player to go for a cut of the intended fee.     It's great for us of course but there's a player there who's worth considerably more than that.

We've now got  forward players I feel we just don't need.    Delap is supposed to be a big signing but questioned it from day one and with Smodzics now in the team how often will he even start or feature.    Others like Harness, Ladapo, Al Hamadi for example can contribute but with some of the better attacking potential we now possess, just can't always see them needed.

good price? knob off