BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

would anyone say croatia have better players than us(apart from modric who`s an atg)i would`nt,they just seem to me to be better coached and organised than england

When they put that shirt on they seem to become more motivated. Our lot seem to become less motivated when they pull on the shirt.

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

Belgium are another team who have subscribed to pointless possession walking football.

If there’s a country out there who goes rogue and proudly embraces the long ball I’ll support them all day long as a neutral. 

It's so good to see goals at this WC coming from an accurate long pass, known to many at Ewood as hoof ball ...., played to players with the technique to immediately control and move.

Nothing travels faster up the pitch that the ball can.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

And I don't get why. He's not a sexy name but he's our most successful manager in tournament football since we won it. He's got a squad of England players who want to play for England and actually look interested in it which was a big complaint for years. We don't have a good crop of defenders to chose from yet had one of the best defences at the last euros.  

That said there comes a time in football where things come to an end and it's time for a change. We'll see what he does at this tournament then reassess. 

The two words I've put in bold explain why I don't think Southgate is the right man for England. That said; I don't know who is. I heard one of the pundits - sorry; I can't remember which one - say after the game v. USA that Southgate's good at getting England through the group stages of tournaments but not so good at getting through the knock-out stages of them.

The thing about that which worries me is the mentality which that approach can inculcate. Southgate's mentality seems more about not losing a game, more than actually trying to  them.

And until the English FA appoint a manager with a more positive approach, I can't see their HQ being home to any of the major Cups. 

17 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

The two words I've put in bold explain why I don't think Southgate is the right man for England. That said; I don't know who is. I heard one of the pundits - sorry; I can't remember which one - say after the game v. USA that Southgate's good at getting England through the group stages of tournaments but not so good at getting through the knock-out stages of them.

The thing about that which worries me is the mentality which that approach can inculcate. Southgate's mentality seems more about not losing a game, more than actually trying to  them.

And until the English FA appoint a manager with a more positive approach, I can't see their HQ being home to any of the major Cups. 

The pundit is talking nonsense.

Southgate's senior tournament record:

WC 2018 - Semi finalist (4th place)

Nations League 2019 - 3rd place

Euros 2020 - Finalist (2nd place)

The one tournament failure was in the latest Nations League which was at group stage.

I'm not a big fan of Southgate's and do think he's overly defensive but his record and win pc is good.

Maybe the pundit thinks that anything other than winning the tournament is failure .... but thats football and that's the way it is.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Maybe the pundit thinks that anything other than winning the tournament is failure .... but thats football and that's the way it is.

Well I suppose that if you are st a World Cup finals, anything other than winning is a failure, you are there with the sole objective is to win, but I get your point.

I get the frustration at not letting the handbrake off with our attacking talent but there's no guarantee that trying to out score opponents would work. Liverpool won Jack with that approach until VVD and Allison came in. We don't have that calibre of player to choose from in the squad imo.

Maybe after this tournament it's worth a try though

Edited by RoverDom

Two quotes from Sir Alf Ramsay prior to the 1966 World Cup

“We will win the World Cup”

“We have still to produce our best, and this is not possible until we meet the right sort of opponents, and that is a team that comes out to play football and not act as animals.”

Thats how to motivate a team Gareth, coming from the full back partner of our own Bill Eckersley. 

• Like 2

Just now, ItsRoverZ said:

Germany could lose both of their first 2 games but still likely to go through! Mad 

I think in Spain’s shoes (if they win this) I’d be playing a full reserve 11 against Japan and making sure the Germans go out. They can afford to lose 3-0 and still top the group as it stands.

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think in Spain’s shoes (if they win this) I’d be playing a full reserve 11 against Japan and making sure the Germans go out. They can afford to lose 3-0 and still top the group as it stands.

I'd do the same thing if i was spains manager, play for a draw with a reserve 11

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You do this weird thing whereby you repeatedly compare to Eriksson and Capello, as if they prove as a rule that foreign managers shouldn't be considered. They are 2 individuals who underachieved, not one person has suggested getting either back.

It would be like me saying that Hodgson was a success because at least he qualified unlike McLaren, why is your benchmark that of an underachiever?7

Eriksson and Capello were very successful at club level, and I do believe that the England national team should be managed by an Englishman. Wasn't a fan of either appointment. Yes, we know that McClaren failed as England manager, and I do Hodgson did well but not good enough in tournament football 

I very strongly disagree, ultimately there is no way of proving either way but I know not one single person who rates Southgate and that impression is further strengthened by anything I read about Southgate as a manager.

Southgate has proven that he has been the most successful England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey. No one can argue with that Tournament record. 

If he had anything about him, Foden would already be a well established key member of our first 11, not someone we turn to when others underperform. Saka has also been performing at a level well in excess of either Sterling or Mount for a long while.

Foden is a key player for me and should be ahead of Saka who I wouldn't start ahead of Foden on the right. Mount would start for me. 

Sterling has performed for England over the years and his record of 1 goal in 4 game from a wide player is an excellent record. That's why he is picked. 

11 minutes ago, matt83 said:

A4755209-B464-41EE-82A5-CC14178DAAB7.thumb.jpeg.8490f6de1370008fec24e042d9fdd688.jpeg

If the japs had got a point against Costa Rica they’d be a midges dick off being out. I still wouldn’t rule them out winning the thing.

I’m fairly confident that Germany won’t win the World Cup this year. They are a poor side and I think Spain will stitch them up in the final group game. Although as I type this they have equalised lol

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

A Spanish baby just gone down in his own box after turning straight into the midriff of a German player. His face touched the German just above his stomach and the Spaniard fell back, holding his face. Luckily, the ref was stood about three paces away and was having none of it.

I don’t know why they do that with VAR. It’s obvious what happened.