BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

• Backroom

Compare what our managers and players are paid versus their counterparts in other teams who have done a lot better than us at international level (for at least the last two decades) and I don't see how expectations of England doing well at tournaments are unrealistic at all. Fans are just conditioned to accept mediocrity whilst those within the England setup are paid an absolute fortune to consistently underachieve. But apparently that's something we should just accept and be happy with. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

They've always gone for the soft option - Taylor, Hoddle, McClaren, Keegan, Hodgson, "English" and decent chaps but none of them had the qualities to be a successful national manager. They went down the foreign route with Eriksson who did well to drag England out of the depths of the Keegan debacle and they threw money at the problem in the case of Capello (£6m a year to fund his art collection) but none of them have worked. Venables was good but was too controversial for the FA blazers. Bobby Robson was a good England manager and the best since Ramsey and was unlucky at Italia 90

England is a poisoned chalice - ridiculously high expectations when the team and the coach usually just haven't been good enough. Southgate was right when he said a few days ago that we have an arrogance about our place in football that isn't backed up by reality 

I missed that and he should be sacked for saying it in public.

He's manager FFS, his job is to build us up not the opposite.

So what if he's right, that's not the point. The players will hear this pre event excuse and take it as a it's ok to play shit fail ..... which ironically they successfully did v USA.

Southgate you irritating fucking  loser.

48 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

They've always gone for the soft option - Taylor, Hoddle, McClaren, Keegan, Hodgson, "English" and decent chaps but none of them had the qualities to be a successful national manager. They went down the foreign route with Eriksson who did well to drag England out of the depths of the Keegan debacle and they threw money at the problem in the case of Capello (£6m a year to fund his art collection) but none of them have worked. Venables was good but was too controversial for the FA blazers. Bobby Robson was a good England manager and the best since Ramsey and was unlucky at Italia 90

England is a poisoned chalice - ridiculously high expectations when the team and the coach usually just haven't been good enough. Southgate was right when he said a few days ago that we have an arrogance about our place in football that isn't backed up by reality 

Hoddle was the most tactical savvy manager we've ever had

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nothing says Gareth Southgate like the rumoured change of Henderson for Bellingham tomorrow night.

I can get that if the idea is to keep him fresh for the latter stages. Otherwise...

That said, I think we'll convincingly beat Wales tomorrow. Their important players can't put in a physical performance like the US could on Saturday. The World Cup has just come a couple of years too late for a lot of that squad. 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nothing says Gareth Southgate like the rumoured change of Henderson for Bellingham tomorrow night.

Exactly.  Two defensive midfielders against wales ffs. Hes a total twat. This is going to be a hard slogged 0-0. He needs removing after the tournament no matter what. Its wales, wales, WALES.  not flipping Brazil or France.  Hes destroying this excellent crop of youngsters.  No foden again.  Wish he'd piss off. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I can get that if the idea is to keep him fresh for the latter stages. Otherwise...

That said, I think we'll convincingly beat Wales tomorrow. Their important players can't put in a physical performance like the US could on Saturday. The World Cup has just come a couple of years too late for a lot of that squad. 

No. He just wants any excuse to play his safe option tried and trusted. Southgate doesn't like players that aren't robots.  That's why players like mount play. I do rate mount but he's just not a patch on foden or grealish 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Exactly.  Two defensive midfielders against wales ffs. Hes a total twat. This is going to be a hard slogged 0-0. He needs removing after the tournament no matter what. Its wales, wales, WALES.  not flipping Brazil or France.  Hes destroying this excellent crop of youngsters.  No foden again.  Wish he'd piss off. 

How do you known that Foden won't play?

I feel like we had a good start against USA. If we got a goal in that first 20 mins where we had control of the game, the game would have been very different. But once USA was allowed to be comfortable with the game and had more of the ball, it was always difficult to get in front. Call it the hindsight bias if you want but I even mentioned this as a possibility to my mates at the time during the game.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I had assumed that there would be a number of changes due to it being close to a dead rubber. I think of the upcoming games in the next few days, the conclusion of our group is possibly the least exciting.

Well Southgate obviously doesn't trust our backup players 

2 hours ago, 47er said:

What a game! Incredibly 3-3! 2 quick goals from Cameroon. 2nd goal probably fractionally off-side but how could Serbia leave the centre of their defence wide open twice in a few minutes when 2 goals ahead?

Loving this one.

How good was that chip? Pure filth. 

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

She was telling Hoddle who not to pick who was anyone who didn't buy into her voodoo and partake in her "sessions".

Hoddle was an extremely complex some may say weird character. complete cunt.

• Like 2

Two excellent games already.

This is going to be another session finishing around 4am here.

I quite like the way South Korea play, but I do think Son was impaired by his head gear and no where near his Spurs form.

Top passion at the end by their coach who told the crap PL ref about his parentage and where to go.

• Like 1

South Korea Ghana was a great entertaining game. very good for neutral fan. 

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s a very lucky boy to be in that job. As far as I can see the FA wanted somebody who “ wouldn’t frighten the horses “ and that what you get with Southgate. A nice bloke no doubt but a very, very limited manager. If by some massive fluke he was appointed at Rovers I’d be less than happy.

He was the right and logical appointment after the farce with Allardyce. He has delivered more than most have in the last 26 years. When Southgate does leave, we have 2 very good choices in Eddie Howe and Graham Potter to replace him. Maybe a couple more years Frank Lampard and JohnHerdman might be added to those 2 names if they are improved results and manage their careers well. It will be interesting to see if Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney might be running by then. I don't see another English manager/coach getting it and I would not appoint a foreign manager/head coach as I believe that the England national team manager should be an Englishman 

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The England job isn't a poisoned chalice at all. 

Eriksson walked into the England job just at the right time when we have good young talents coming through like Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, etc

Hoddle was a very good coach but never had the managerial career he should have had in football. 

Keegan was the public choice to be England manager and if he would have appointed a tactical coach next to him then he might have been in the role for longer. His passion and man management skills could only take him so far at international level 

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Robson had a good record for the most part (1988 Euros were a disaster and we failed to qualify in 1984) but definitely benefited from having the assistance of Don Howe who was an outstanding organiser.

Bobby Robson was an excellent coach and aswell a man management. His book was one of the best books I've ever read. Great autobiography 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe Bellingham is carrying an injury or struggling with fitness, 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I had assumed that there would be a number of changes due to it being close to a dead rubber. I think of the upcoming games in the next few days, the conclusion of our group is possibly the least exciting.

Tomorrow game against Wales isn't a dead rubber at all. We need to win to top the group. This is not a dead rubber at all

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

He needs removing after the tournament no matter what.

I find this a very odd statement. So if we win the World Cup, the absolute dream we haven't come close to since 1966, he should be fired?

I'm not suggesting we will win the World Cup, before anyone starts, but it would be obscene to fire him if we did. You can argue with how results are obtained, but you can't argue with results. Like Napoleon said (paraphrased), give me lucky generals over skilled ones. Even if he played Pickford up front, if we win we win.

• Like 1