SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

Battle of Berne, Brazil v Hungary 1954 was an infamous match

Referee was Arthur Ellis, later of It's A Knockout fame

The players continued fighting in the dressing room afterwards

Edited by jim mk2

1 hour ago, Dreyski said:

As mentioned above, Chile vs Italy in 1962 where the presenter (a young David Coleman?) used those words, but you may be thinking about Portugal vs Netherlands in 2006 - the battle of Nuremburg:

No I was actually thinking about the battle of Santiago 

Edited by roverandout

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

This was War - The Battle of Montevideo, and excellent video on YouTube with scenes from the battle and interviews with Celtic players.

Parental guidance is needed for younger viewers and it's not for the faint hearted.

I always laugh at that bit were Tommy Gemmell boots that Racing Club player squarely in the nuts.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I always laugh at that bit wereTommy Gemmell boots that Racing Club player squarely in the nuts.

Celtic players got fined after the playoff game by Celtic!

Racing players all got a huge bonus and a new car from Racing.

Bertie Auld, sent off and refused to go so just played on, top man.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

This was War - The Battle of Montevideo, and excellent video on YouTube with scenes from the battle and interviews with Celtic players.

Parental guidance is needed for younger viewers and it's not for the faint hearted.

Parts 1, 2 and 3

• Like 1

The main thing that I’ll take from this World Cup is that the gap between the top sides and the ‘lesser’ clubs (those that we would have laughed at twenty years ago) is getting narrower and narrower.

Still expect the competition to be won by one of Brazil, Argentina, Spain or similar but the progress of teams like Japan, Morocco, Senegal, South Korea, Australia and the US is impressive and great to see.

Wonder how long it will be until one of these ‘lesser’ teams wins it?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

The main thing that I’ll take from this World Cup is that the gap between the top sides and the ‘lesser’ clubs (those that we would have laughed at twenty years ago) is getting narrower and narrower.

Still expect the competition to be won by one of Brazil, Argentina, Spain or similar but the progress of teams like Japan, Morocco, Senegal, South Korea, Australia and the US is impressive and great to see.

Wonder how long it will be until one of these ‘lesser’ teams wins it?

It's a toss up between Brazil England Argentina France or Spain for me and maybe Portugal 

18 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

we ar`nt getting past the quarter finals,the managers of our potential opponents can adjust in play,southgate just stands there with a puzzled look on his chevy chase

I wouldn’t rule anyone out. France haven't looked unbeatable so far

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I wouldn’t rule anyone out. France haven't looked unbeatable so far

yes,but my point is deschamp has the ability to change tactics in play southgate has`nt,look at the euros last year,when we went 1-0 up mancini had the nouse to swap things around and italy battered us the rest of the match,southgate did`nt respond tactically because he has`nt got the tactical acumen

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

we ar`nt getting past the quarter finals,the managers of our potential opponents can adjust in play,southgate just stands there with a puzzled look on his chevy chase

England should fear nowhere in world cup football. 

21 minutes ago, roverandout said:

The usa have been the better team so far but lack a proven forward.  Dutch are lucky to be 2-0 up

agree there. 

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

yes,but my point is deschamp has the ability to change tactics in play southgate has`nt,look at the euros last year,when we went 1-0 up mancini had the nouse to swap things around and italy battered us the rest of the match,southgate did`nt respond tactically because he has`nt got the tactical acumen

Let's see how France and Deschamps do when they have to change from Plan A cos, they haven't been overall that impressive at this world cup either. It is wide open.