BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Then along came el phenomeno.  The best forward I've ever seen live on TV. If it hadn't been for injuries ronaldo would have Been the greatest ever 

Agreed, Ronaldo between Barcelona and Inter was/is the greatest striker of all time. Haaland likely to take that mantle next…

• Like 2

It’s not really easy to compare across eras and confidently declare that a modern day player is the ‘best ever’ or player A from the 2020s is better then player B. from the 1950s. The balls, the pitches, the tactics, the interpretation of the laws, the fitness levels were vastly different.

Put Pele, Maradona, Best, Finney in the modern game where they would have the very best sports science and aren’t kicked around the pitch on cabbage patches and see how they’d go… and vice versa parachute Ronaldo(s) or Messi into an era in which they would be repeatedly hacked down on a mud bath...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, J*B said:

At risk of causing a riot there’s absolutely no way DeStafano was a better footballer than De Bruyne. The difference between football in the 60s and now is like comparing apples and pears. 

I’m going to ask you the obvious question - did you see both of them play ? I did.

When FIFA selected a World 11 to play England in a commemorative game in the early 1960’s DeStefano was selected for that team. If they were picking another World 11 would DeBruyne be in it ?

You have to wonder how Puskas would have fared in the modern game. He could barely run yet he was a genius, one of the all-time greats. One player who would have been just as good in the modern game is Eusebio, a free running striker  way ahead of his time

Exactly renrag. So when I see folk saying that the modern player is this, that and the other and superior to those of the sepia era it is because of the advances in the sport itself not that they are intrinsically better footballers than someone from the 1950s…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Agreed, Ronaldo between Barcelona and Inter was/is the greatest striker of all time. Haaland likely to take that mantle next…

Ronaldo 1st was a complete footballer and fate chose the position of striker in which he excelled. He could have played anywhere across the front line and probably would have been good in the mid or FB.

Mbappe is a super fast, skilful straight line runner best suited out wide.

Harland is a genetic freak a big lad playing as a striker, he could also do ok at CB or keeper.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m going to ask you the obvious question - did you see both of them play ? I did.

When FIFA selected a World 11 to play England in a commemorative game in the early 1960’s DeStefano was selected for that team. If they were picking another World 11 would DeBruyne be in it ?

No, I didn’t. I’m sure DeStafano was unbelievable in his time, you don’t become a Real Madrid legend without being elite. But much like drag racing a 1964 Ferrari against a 2022 Ferrari, the sport has moved on to such a point they just couldn’t compete. The standard here: 

is poor. 

CAVEAT before @Herbie6590 sees and tells me off, if a DeStafano was cloned and was reborn now, went through the footballing system exactly as he did in the 1950s and learnt the “modern” way to play football with the latest tech I am sure he would excel… but that isn’t the point I’m making! To be clear I am saying if DeStafano was picked up in 1964 and placed in the Real Madrid team now in some Back to the Future style experiment, he wouldn’t get a game. 

Of course it is.  You transport a player like Finney straight out of the 1950s and into a game in 2022 and of course he couldn’t cope. But you put him into a modern day top side with modern day fitness and sports science and he’d still be elite today. 

Those players can’t help the much less professional and athletic era they played in…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes

Sky are reporting that Saka will come into the team today and that at least one of Foden and Rashford will be dropped. 

I rate Saka very highly and I would have had him and of course Foden as definite starters going into the tournament, but the latter definitely needs to start and Rashford surely cant be dropped either after scoring 3 goals already. I would play all 3 and drop Henderson but assuming that Southgate is too cautious to do that then I can't fathom dropping either. 

Lets hope it isnt compounded by dropping both and bringing Sterling back in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sky are reporting that Saka will come into the team today and that at least one of Foden and Rashford will be dropped. 

I rate Saka very highly and I would have had him and of course Foden as definite starters going into the tournament, but the latter definitely needs to start and Rashford surely cant be dropped either after scoring 3 goals already. I would play all 3 and drop Henderson but assuming that Southgate is too cautious to do that then I can't fathom dropping either. 

Saka ? Not for me.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course it is.  You transport a player like Finney straight out of the 1950s and into a game in 2022 and of course he couldn’t cope. But you put him into a modern day top side with modern day fitness and sports science and he’d still be elite today. 

Those players can’t help the much less professional and athletic era they played in…

Plus playing on the pitches we have today, with the boots and balls we have today. Plus the protection skilful players get today. I saw Finney play when he was basically finished and he was still magic.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Southgate too cautious but aren't we the Tournament top goalscorer in the group stages? 

The media were saying Foden wasn't playing last game and he did. I wouldn't play Saka but Stick to playing 4-3-3. Henderson gives you experience and knowhow in centre midfield. This is guy who was captain of Liverpool team that won the Premier League and Champions League whilst he was captain there. Senegal won't be easy game and we need to control midfield. Going for 2 nil with Kane and Maguire scoring