BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I hope this isn’t true. The lad has lost his way completely. We can’t afford to be re-habilitating players at this point in the season. The new Marcus Maddison.

Hardly Maddison ,he never did anything above league one.Cantwell has performed in the Championship and premier league. 

He has lost his way for sure but the talent is certainly there and wouldn't be the first player who we have signed who lost their way and reignited their careers here.

I'd take Cantwell for sure but I'd rather a striker and dominant midfielder brought in first

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think they’re a bit more than rumours.

I think it’s worth the risk for his age. He could change especially with a new camp.

He clearly has the ability so there’s no worries there unlike some players we’ve bought in.

The best news here, is if it’s true, is that we have abit more money than people think and are looking at permanents.

• Like 1

The centre of midfield is the problem area for me. A lot of the abject defeats we have seen have involved the midfield being bullied and brushed aside. We have the same type of midfielder, in terms of build, style etc. Crap players like Ledson see it and start acting the hard man against us. It gees up the opposition. There was a Boro player, Howson I think, and a Cardiff mid who started putting in aggressive challenges once they realised they were up against Morton and Co. That needs addressing.

Even when we win games we struggle to string more than three passes together. It was the same against Norwich in the cup. For me, our options in there aren't good enough and need upgrading. Adam Wharton is the only one, IMO, who has something special about his game but he's having to wait or pull himself together to get back in.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Cantwell is not what we need. Would want to play from the left and isnt particularly fast. Plus hes not done anything for a while to justify his early promise. 2m is a lot of money to spend on him too.

A guy on the Norwich site was saying he hasn’t had an assist or scored a goal in two years. If we are betting the ranch I’d rather have someone who is less of a gamble. Two years ago I’d have snatched his hand off but two years ago he wouldn’t have looked twice at Rovers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A guy on the Norwich site was saying he hasn’t had an assist or scored a goal in two years. If we are betting the ranch I’d rather have someone who is less of a gamble. Two years ago I’d have snatched his hand off but two years ago he wouldn’t have looked twice at Rovers.

Im confused why Norwich have rejected 2m for a player who is soon out of contract? Maybe to start a bidding war? With the likes of rangers interested we may aswell just leave it now & move on.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

In fairness we are only page 76

I believe we need to get to page 300 before the real action starts.

I think that if any of the big clubs came in with a bid of seven or 8 million for Brereton with a really good target man replacement we would give that serious consideration .

The question is who could be an attractive makeweight in such a deal?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Im confused why Norwich have rejected 2m for a player who is soon out of contract? Maybe to start a bidding war? With the likes of rangers interested we may aswell just leave it now & move on.

We rejected £3.5m for Rothwell

• Like 2

The rumours of a £2m bid for Cantwell can't be true, Gav says we've no money. Just like he said we'd no money for weeks in the summer before we went out and spent £6.5 m.

On the player himself, good at one time, dont know enough about him now to pass judgment other than that I was told he was an initial target in summer. For some reason that went cold back then so I'm not sure why the situation should be any different now.

Would there be an obvious Broughton/Norwich connection to that if it happen

Edited by Silas
Resized
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

In fairness we are only page 76

I believe we need to get to page 300 before the real action starts.

I think that if any of the big clubs came in with a bid of seven or 8 million for Brereton with a really good target man replacement we would give that serious consideration .

The question is who could be an attractive makeweight in such a deal?

The thing is though does Ben Brererton actually want to leave this window? 

In a few months time he can pick which offer he likes best and move on then.

I don't see Brererton leaving this window.He would be daft to join a premier league team in danger of Relegation

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Be surprised if the true figure is anything like that. Wouldn't be the first time fees have been over exaggerated 

53 minutes ago, Craigman said:

Todd Cantwell

Revealed: Blackburn named as mystery club chasing Norwich man, with formal bid submitted

TEAMtalk staff 23 minutes ago

Blackburn Rovers are the mystery club who have had an offer for Todd Cantwell turned down by Norwich, TEAMtalk understands.

Cantwell, who has made 19 appearances for Norwich this season but is yet to score, will become a free agent in the summer as his contract is running down. As such, Norwich are willing to listen to offers for the attacking midfielder this month.

Blackburn have set their sights on Cantwell to try and aid their Premier League promotion bid. Rovers currently sit third in the table, behind leaders Burnley and second-placed Sheffield United.

As such, TEAMtalk has been told Blackburn manager Jon Dahl Tomasson sanctioned a £2million bid to Norwich for Cantwell. However, this has been rejected by the Canaries.

New Norwich boss David Wagner is still willing to let Cantwell move on before the close of the transfer window. Such an exit would improve his transfer funds and make room in his squad for potential new arrivals.

But Blackburn will have to put more money on the table if they wish to sign the four-time England U21 international.

Scottish giants Rangers are also interested in landing Cantwell. Ibrox boss Michael Beale publicly admitted he is a big fan of the 24-year-old recently, when discussing potential moves for Cantwell and Everton midfielder Tom Davies.

Beale said (via Glasgow World): “Todd was an excellent player when he was young and playing against my Liverpool Under 23s. I thought he would go on and have a fantastic career. He had that at the start and he is maybe just looking for a move to re-ignite it but I think he is a fantastic player at a good age.

“And Tom Davies, he used to kick my Liverpool Under 23s team all around the place. There’s a bit of John Lundstram about him. But again, two really good players. Not confirming anything with those two, but there’s a lot of players we are speaking to at the moment.”

I'd be surprised if Rangers stump up more than £2m. 

Not really sure where I stand on this one though, it would certainly be a gamble....I think "would like it if it's not at detriment to more important business i.e. CM and Striker" 

Edited by superniko

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

True, I just assumed that it was compared to the Rothwell of last season that just left.

Either way, Rothwell certainly wasn't consistent but he was one of the better players of his type in the league last season, the same can't be said about Szmodics who is on his third attempt at proving his ability at Championship level.

I think Szmodics has been good this season - unfortunately he keeps on picking up knocks. He's a handy little player at this level.

• Like 2

Don't love Cantwell even as a Diaz replacement on the wing.  Same for Gerhaldt as we have Dolan and Markanday.  

Would much prefer another striker if we lose Diaz, with Dack off of the two acting as the go between for Morton/Buckley.  

We've no ball carrier and two deep centre mods.  Can either bring one in or play more central for me 

9 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Not convinced about Cantwell. Regardless of what ability he may or may not have, something is not right. Not sure if it's attitude or something else but he's lost his way. 

He's just not what we need right now and £2m is alot (for us) for another Rodwell style project

I think he'd be a good buy for £2m, but evidently Norwich want more.

I've often left Ewood this season lamenting how we could do with a second Hedges - well Cantell would be it. 

• Backroom

Norwich may be looking at how Peterborough got us to up our bid for Szmodics and think they can squeeze a little more out of us if they play hardball. Evidently they aren't in a rush to sell him and may wait until the end of the window to see if Rangers make their interest concrete or if we are desperate enough to put more money on the table.

Personally I'd leave it alone if they aren't willing to accept the £2m offer. Considering the potential attitude problems at play I'm not sure it's worth chasing any further.