BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We shouldn't loan out Markanday, he should be pushing for a start here.

The only way you can loan him out is if you bring in better.

He's on the fringe of the first team right now, but one injury away from making the bench and racking up decent minutes.

• Like 2

There is an opinion piece suggesting Pears should go on loan to Portsmouth for the rest of the season. Portsmouth have had their on-loan goalkeeper recalled by West Brom.

An article from Jackson last month stated the Rovers would consider loaning Pears out.

I think it would make sense, particularly if we were allowed to stipulate a recall should Kaminski be injured. He made a couple of howlers in his earlier cameos for us, but I can only put that down to inexperience. I think he's been reasonably impressive, otherwise, and game time in League One is surely beneficial to all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, goozburger said:

There is an opinion piece suggesting Pears should go on loan to Portsmouth for the rest of the season. Portsmouth have had their on-loan goalkeeper recalled by West Brom.

An article from Jackson last month stated the Rovers would consider loaning Pears out.

I think it would make sense, particularly if we were allowed to stipulate a recall should Kaminski be injured. He made a couple of howlers in his earlier cameos for us, but I can only put that down to inexperience. I think he's been reasonably impressive, otherwise, and game time in League One is surely beneficial to all.

I don’t think there’s a great deal for us to gain in loaning out Pears. He’s only ever going to be a back up keeper and he’s never going to command a transfer fee (even though we were daft enough to pay one), so while he might want to play more we need him to do what he was signed for - sit on the bench. Loan him out and we’re relying on a debuting kid if Kaminski gets injured.

As a slight aside, Mowbray had another howler binning off Fisher to accommodate Pears.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t think there’s a great deal for us to gain in loaning out Pears. He’s only ever going to be a back up keeper and he’s never going to command a transfer fee (even though we were daft enough to pay one), so while he might want to play more we need him to do what he was signed for - sit on the bench. Loan him out and we’re relying on a debuting kid if Kaminski gets injured.

As a slight aside, Mowbray had another howler binning off Fisher to accommodate Pears.

Pears is a bit crap but Fisher is not really an improvement, he is shit. Lost his spot to a keeper in Benda who himself isn't great.

8 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Pears has shown good signs of improvement from whenever I've seen him play this season. Writing him off when he is still only 24? I think he's better than what you give him credit for.

I don't see what benefit comes of Pears bench-warming here. For me, he's shown enough that he can cut it as a number one in League One. Send him there and see how much further he can improve, like Carter and Wharton did.

As for Fisher, he's also just 24, but he's currently bench-warming at Swansea City, isn't he? I don't understand how that makes swapping him out for Pears a "howler".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I see we are repeating the cycle of Pears having a few alright games and people thinking he can therefore be relied on until he costs us games again. Short memories. It wasn't just Wigan, he was crap the season before too.

Brereton Diaz was crap and virtually everybody on here had written him off well before he had his breakthrough last season. I'm not sure why a player is judged based on what they were like two years ago or even one year ago. If they right the wrongs, and show that they are going to improve, then I don't think we should cut our nose off to spite our face.

Also, in no way have I (or anybody else) said Pears is reliable. The suggestion is merely to send him on loan to continue developing and see what comes of it.

Nobody is saying Pears is ready and deserves to take over from Kaminski (that would be ludicrous), only that it's probably a good time to let him be number one in a reasonable league to see what he's really made of.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Pears has shown good signs of improvement from whenever I've seen him play this season. Writing him off when he is still only 24? I think he's better than what you give him credit for.

I don't see what benefit comes of Pears bench-warming here. For me, he's shown enough that he can cut it as a number one in League One. Send him there and see how much further he can improve, like Carter and Wharton did.

As for Fisher, he's also just 24, but he's currently bench-warming at Swansea City, isn't he? I don't understand how that makes swapping him out for Pears a "howler".

Because he will never ever improve enough to be good enough to be our first choice keeper. Neither will he ever improve enough to command a transfer fee worth speaking of. This isn’t writing him off, we need backup for Kaminski, obviously and he’s adequate as that - and we can’t say that for certain about any of our young keepers just yet, so if we did loan him out we’d have to waste time and resources bringing another keeper in. 

Fisher is the same age as Pears but has racked up more appearances at a better level. We gave away Fisher who was then subsequently sold for a fee, we paid a fee for Pears on the basis of his Dad being an old team mate of Mowbray’s. Not on the Raya scale of shite business, but not good.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Because he will never ever improve enough to be good enough to be our first choice keeper. Neither will he ever improve enough to command a transfer fee worth speaking of. This isn’t writing him off, we need backup for Kaminski, obviously and he’s adequate as that - and we can’t say that for certain about any of our young keepers just yet, so if we did loan him out we’d have to waste time and resources bringing another keeper in.

I'd say it is. I think it's unfair to write him off before he's barely had a chance at regular first team football. We bemoan players not getting a chance in the first team, and although the goalkeeper situation is clearly different, the only way to see if he's got the mettle to ever be our number one is if he gets regular first team football.

Maybe we can conclude one of two things in this window. If Pears gets sent out on loan, I think that indicates that the coaching staff believe he'll come good, and potentially number one if Kaminski ever goes. If Pears doesn't get sent out on loan, perhaps they don't think much of him, and are happy to let him bench warm (rot).

I guess we will see.

13 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Brereton Diaz was crap and virtually everybody on here had written him off well before he had his breakthrough last season. I'm not sure why a player is judged based on what they were like two years ago or even one year ago. If they right the wrongs, and show that they are going to improve, then I don't think we should cut our nose off to spite our face.

Also, in no way have I (or anybody else) said Pears is reliable. The suggestion is merely to send him on loan to continue developing and see what comes of it.

Nobody is saying Pears is ready and deserves to take over from Kaminski (that would be ludicrous), only that it's probably a good time to let him be number one in a reasonable league to see what he's really made of.

Let's just persevere with all our crap players in the hope they come good then. Sure wish we had stuck it out longer with Chris Brown, Danny Murphy, Jason Lowe, Adam Henley, etc etc etc.

Brereton was a boy, Pears is 24. Brereton had also shone in his career prior enough to earn a reputation as a very promising youngster, and a 7 million quid bid from us. Which additionally made him an investment we needed to come good. Pears was a mate's son signed for a few hundred grand.

More importantly, Brereton was an extremely rare event - it was the biggest turn around in a player's fortunes I've ever seen, certainly at Rovers. It was comical at first how quickly things developed. It can't be used as a bench mark for future player dealings. Also, there had been talk of loaning him out, but it was actually keeping him around that saw things change.

It doesn't really matter what Pears does in League One. It's a shit level we can't make any judgements from. His contract will also have one year left by the time he came back, leaving us with a decision about extending his deal or, if he did come good, potentially losing someone for free again. Fuck that noise. He is our backup keeper, he should stay here as backup so we are actually getting something for our money, and if he gets his chance in the team due to injury and actually takes it, we can have a discussion.

Oh, also he has already had a season in a reliable league - this one, with Boro. They then sold him off for not an awful lot. League One would actually be a step down in his career experience.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Oh no, I'm talking taking guys out off the ball / deliberately catching them as they're clearing the ball. No place for that in the game. 

Yes there is if the player is playing for your team.

I agree Delap was physical against Rovers and at times overstepped but I suspect if it was Ayala putting Delap in his place it would be applauded as putting the CF in his pocket.

Football has gone soft today and its only a matter of time before contact is banned

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I agree Delap was physical against Rovers and at times overstepped but I suspect if it was Ayala putting Delap in his place it would be applauded as putting the CF in his pocket.

Football has gone soft today and its only a matter of time before contact is banned

I'm fully on board with contact - I'd wave play on as a ref when a defender steps infront of an attacker and falls down for a free kick - but there's no place for dirty play. You can seriously injure someone with what Delap was doing. 

35 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

All teams need a number of players who are physical and can 'mix it' when the need arises.  Doesn't half make the opposition think twice!

It's something we lack, particularly in midfield and up front.

Oh for an Andy Todd type at the back, a David Batty, Aaron Mokoena type in midfield and an Alan Shearer, Mark Hughes type up front.  Don't recall too many taking liberties with those lads!  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

All teams need a number of players who are physical and can 'mix it' when the need arises.  Doesn't half make the opposition think twice!

It's something we lack, particularly in midfield and up front.

Oh for an Andy Todd type at the back, a David Batty, Aaron Mokoena type in midfield and an Alan Shearer, Mark Hughes type up front.  Don't recall too many taking liberties with those lads!  

We're being linked with a 5'7 CM if that helps.

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Linked to Bournemouths 22 year old Irish midfielder Gavin kilkenny on twitter, come from rovers latest account 

Very very underwhelming signing if true, lad can't even get into a Stoke side sat in 18th

From Pete O'Rourke as well, he's reliable

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-blackburn-rovers-in-advanced-talks-to-sign-bournemouth-star-gavin-kilkenny/