BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

32 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Interesting. At least Brierley will becoming in Summer, unless he gets injured of course. Anybody else think reading between the lines Rochdale have been given some money ?

Something that I found interesting, was how much of what he said (eg about targeting Undav) had already appeared as leaks.

Someone must have a good source somewhere.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Far be it from me to stick up for the corridors of no power down at Ewood, but....

Jack Walker, Bill Fox, Rob Coar and John Willaims didn't miss games to sign players or sell players, what a load of bunkum Mercer.

All more competent people, mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Where did I attack you personally? You were 'attacking' Sparks with a slightly odd sarcastic response, and I merely asked why you were so defensive?

I also merely asked if you were involved in recruitment at Barrow? I only know you are at Barrow because you posted it on this forum. 

So, any answers? 

I don't owe you any answers about my professional life. To be honest my personal life either but at least it's more casual. My work has nothing to do with my opinions about Blackburn Rovers and I don't know why it's being brought into the conversation.

If you're that desperate to know about what I do for a living, send me a private message and I'll bore you to death with it.

26 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sneaky politician answers....Full takes responsibility but blames the process that was in place before him even though its never fucked up before...

Broughton Out.  

In Manchester at lunchtime having a jolly up and only left after 6pm to come and sign papers....sounds like Greggy has been having a jolly on the club.

Don't like him.

It's funny isn't it - I thought the exact opposite. 

Credit to him having the balls to get in-front of a camera and explain (as far as he's able to given the active appeal AND the fact he'd be throwing the Club Secretary [who clearly is at fault here] under the bus) what went on and apologising to the fans. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Bethnal said:

In a similar position to yourself. Day-to-day is for delegation, deadlines/crunch time are for coordinating and leading. Trying to avoid those situations through observation, communication and leadership in the day-to-day are the remit of a business leader. Sh*t does hit the fan though and your job at exec level is to step in and eat as much of that for your staff, by being a leader and deploying yourself.

I’m aware people are split on this board, but for what it’s worth, I don’t think this should be pinned on Broughton. This is a symptom of a chronic condition and that condition is the ownership. By extension, Suhail is the ownership’s ops point person. Waggott is a yes man. I think those three factors, bundled, are the root of the issue.

Indeed, so cack-handed was the managerial appointment by the in-situ administration, they were appointing a manager before the DoF, or at least aiming to. Only when Broughton was appointed do JDT come into the picture. I don’t think it’s worth debating that the board/exec leadership were about to make an absolute blinder of an appointment. Wasn’t it Big Dunc and David Unsworth Dream Team at one point? 😐

I’m confident Broughton’s out in public, eating sh*t because he recognises the frustration and that nobody else is going to. For me, that’s leadership. He’s setting an example that nobody else has done before under this ownership and essentially challenging those that he’s covering for.

Frustrations are at ownership and long-standing executive level and that’s where all the ire should go.

My best manager used to describe himself as 'the shit umbrella'.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, benhben said:

I understand the sentiment, but I can only feel a certain amount of sorrow for someone in their mid 20s earning £1000s a week for doing nothing. More time to get his golf handicap down. 

If he doesn't go out on loan he'll still be in full-time training. He'll just be turning out for the U21s rather than the first team.

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I expect there are people/person very relieved Greg has taken a bullet for them. I think he’s right with a lot of what he says, ultimately it is his responsibility to get deals over the line.

Although he’s come out and fronted it up, I still get the impression there is very much a siege mentality at Rovers. This is damage limitation and these responses will have been very clearly planned out and agreed between all the senior people with the aim of placating the fans, or at least dampening a bit of the backlash.

He told us to judge him on his actions and not his words after the last window, so he’s putting a great big blot in his own copybook here. He’s new enough and came with enough good will to take one for the team.

As he said in the video, he did get the deals over the line - and then it all went wrong.

I’m of the view that the CEO is ultimately responsible if not directly to blame - others see things differently 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Having watched Broughton's interview, despite his claims of ultimate responsibility, I am even more convinced of the opposite.

His demeanour is a far cry from that of last summer when he was confident and assertive in his interviews. He looks panic stricken, distressed, confused, and makes multiple references to 'internal factors', which he won't elaborate on.

As with all his predecessors he is very quick to avoid sending any blame in the owners' direction (presumably the only way anyone gets sacked at Rovers is if they go after the owners). He is silent as to the two goons in the shadows.

As was predicted when Broughton was appointed and as I expected a couple of days ago they will make him into the fall guy. They will want the fans and manager to direct anger towards him and he takes all the grief on that front. Waggott avoids any such scrutiny or accountability, as does the shadow man. Almost as though this was the plan all along?

A familiar pattern emerges with Broughton and JDT as with previous ambitious people who entered the mad house of Venky Rovers and get worn down by it. Demeanour visibly changes.

I've been impressed with Broughton thus far and I think his appointment was a welcome one. Unfortunately I think he and JDT are now learning the hard way what they are up against.

And I keep on coming back to the point that this is nothing new. We've had very similar stuff for the last 4-5 January windows. Can't blame Broughton for those windows, so let's look at the constants in the failure.

I rolled my eyes when the first thing he said when talking about blame was “don’t blame the owners”. That’s a well rehearsed line at Ewood. You can see what he’s been tasked with here:

- Placate the fans

- Cover our arses

- Make sure the owners don’t get any on them

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Honest opinion:

Almost refreshing to get some honesty. Someone at the club has actually accepted responsibility.

Glad that Brierley isn't impacted too much and will be here in the Summer.

O'Brien, however, I feel desperately sorry for, and I hope we do right by the player as best as we can.

I'm curious how binding that Brierley agreement is. 

If Sheffield United are really interested they can surely just blow our offer out of the water with their PL riches in 6 months time. 

• Like 3

Just now, JoeH said:

I don't owe you any answers about my professional life. To be honest my personal life either but at least it's more casual. My work has nothing to do with my opinions about Blackburn Rovers and I don't know why it's being brought into the conversation.

If you're that desperate to know about what I do for a living, send me a private message and I'll bore you to death with it.

So you retract the accusation that I was attacking you personally? That's a start at least. 

And if you work in recruitment for Barrow FC then it follows that at some point you may have, or have already had, dealings with Rovers and/or GB. Again, I only know you work for Barrow FC because you posted it on the forum. 

But, like you, I'm just sharing an opinion. Please don't attack me for it. 

There is absolutely no chance the EFL will overturn this if they watch that interview. Absolutely none. It basically says we f*cked up across multiple areas from an operational point of view.

Nip it in the bud now and stop wasting money on legal advisors in a futile attempt to save face.

Broughton will now go silent until September. This saga will go through the tea-strainer until supporters give up baying for blood. Nobody significant is going to get fired, so don't get your hopes up, and the only resignation likely will be Tomasson's. Waggott is here until he retires.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My best manager used to describe himself as 'the shit umbrella'.

If I’m being blunt, the point of taking that shit is because when I sell this business, I’d likely never need to work again and everyone we pay to work here will get a comparatively smaller slice. They’re contributing to it and doing things to enable me to grow that pie elsewhere. You don’t let them get covered in shit in the process, if you’re actually a leader and can recognise contributions. In my view, at least.

• Like 4

Like many things at this club the ‘process’ for signing players is obviously not fit for purpose. GB alluded to that. 

An embarrassing turn of events, but to me GB deserves time to at least try and sort out this decaying mess of a football club (at least in his own area of authority, the commercial side is beyond saving until a certain spiv is shown the door).

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm a Chief Executive, albeit of a smaller organisation than The Rovers. I delegate responsibility but I sure as hell don't abdicate it.

95% of the time I don't need to be hands on, but if there's anything particularly important (e.g. involving the regulator or a H & S matter) I will make a risk assessment and on that basis decide whether my presence is required. In this case I am pretty sure I would not have travelled to Birmingham in Waggott's position and I think it is a huge error of judgement on his part.

Pretty much.

What's clearly happened is Broughton and co have done their job - convinced the players to sign, got the sign off from the CEO and then the Club Secretary has messed up the paperwork (I gather he's quite incompetent). 

The fact that this was such a big transfer suggests that Waggot, one of only two people that can submit the registration documents to the EFL / FA, should have been on hand to oversee the process. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Like many things at this club the ‘process’ for signing players is obviously not fit for purpose. GB alluded to that. 

An embarrassing turn of events, but to me GB deserves time to at least try and sort out this decaying mess of a football club (at least in his own area of authority, the commercial side is beyond saving until a certain spiv is shown the door).

I genuinely don't get this bit. He said the hard work had been done and that it was an internal matter/external matter that was the problem. If the EFL portal wasn't working properly fair enough, but at our end it seems someone just forgot to send the docs.

What part of the process was he alluding to? Do we have a faxer-in-chief that isn't up to the job? 

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Again, I only know you work for Barrow FC because you posted it on the forum. 

The only reason this is a thing is because someone else mentioned it on here first and I defended myself. I've never brought it up unprompted because I don't want it to impact my ability to give an opinion about Rovers.

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

I genuinely don't get this bit. He said the hard work had been done and that it was an internal matter/external matter that was the problem. If the EFL portal wasn't working properly fair enough, but at our end it seems someone just forgot to send the docs.

What part of the process was he alluding to? Do we have a faxer-in-chief that isn't up to the job? 

I’ve no idea. But it isn’t the first time I’ve heard that Sylvester is incompetent.

• Like 2

GB: "The process this year was no different to how the club has always done it for the last 10 years. We followed that process absolutely to the letter, ultimately its been shown that the process hasn't been good enough."

No shit. Been polishing the same turd for over a decade. You're supposed to be here to make a fucking difference/improvement, not just follow in the footsteps and rely on the methods of previous useless idiots.

Broughton Out.

Ps. This website is borderline unusable on a Samsung Mobile. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Pretty much.

What's clearly happened is Broughton and co have done their job - convinced the players to sign, got the sign off from the CEO and then the Club Secretary has messed up the paperwork (I gather he's quite incompetent). 

The fact that this was such a big transfer suggests that Waggot, one of only two people that can submit the registration documents to the EFL / FA, should have been on hand to oversee the process. 

He even says “we followed the same process the club has followed for ten years… but the process didn’t (work, or something similar).”

How long has Sylvester been here, again? It could be very subtly pointing at him, might just be a slip, but it does lead the conclusion to that point.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And yet he followed it.

The worry is how reactionary Broughton is to all of this. Common sense would tell you to get your skates on throughout deadline day in case anything goes wrong. From telling Forest to pull O'Brien out of his training RIGHT NOW if they want this to happen, to foregoing VIP treatment in Manchester and saving it until later, the process seems ridiculously relaxed.

I'm half-hoping the EFL don't overturn their decision because it would at least mean justice is served. The only hope Rovers have is to state the adverse effects this has on the two players. I doubt that is going to wash.

• Like 2