BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

55 minutes ago, JohnD said:

There's absolutely no doubt about his talent but his passing hasn't been up to scratch yet this season.

I think people underestimate just how much JDT asks of his 2 CM's. 

AW, as the deeper CM,  is basically the fulcrum of that team, everything goes through him. He will give the ball away (just like Bucko does). What makes playing for JDT more difficult is that he wants his CM's to pass the ball forward through the lines, which makes it even harder.  There's no room for error when every team you play against wants to squeeze the life out of the midfield. 

I think his passing is superb, so is his vision. He see's everything quicker than everyone else. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I think people underestimate just how much JDT asks of his 2 CM's. 

AW, as the deeper CM,  is basically the fulcrum of that team, everything goes through him. He will give the ball away (just like Bucko does). What makes playing for JDT more difficult is that he wants his CM's to pass the ball forward through the lines, which makes it even harder.  There's no room for error when every team you play against wants to squeeze the life out of the midfield. 

I think his passing is superb, so is his vision. He see's everything quicker than everyone else. 

I didn't realise just how well be disguises some of his passes until JRC mentioned it last week. I paid particular attention to this yesterday live at the game and on a recording of the game when I got home. I noticed a few where he did it and the Watford players just couldn't read his intentions. What a real weapon that is to have in your locker.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I didn't realise just how well be disguises some of his passes until JRC mentioned it last week. I paid particular attention to this yesterday live at the game and on a recording of the game when I got home. I noticed a few where he did it and the Watford players just couldn't read his intentions. What a real weapon that is to have in your locker.

Might be before your time but he reminds me of “ Slim “ Jim Baxter, the old Scottish international midfield player.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And also how he can do it on either foot. I hadn't really noticed how good he was on his right until yesterday, always thought he was predominantly a leftie. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Might be before your time but he reminds me of “ Slim “ Jim Baxter, the old Scottish international midfield player.

It was before my time Tyrone but I remember players from different era's eulogising about him.

58 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

And also how he can do it on either foot. I hadn't really noticed how good he was on his right until yesterday, always thought he was predominantly a leftie. 

That’s quite unusual for left footers, most of them rely on their good left foot. I saw him in a game last season when he was carrying the ball into the last third in centre field. A Rovers player broke on his right hand side and I was expecting the obvious left footed pass out to the right wing. Instead he threaded a lovely right footed pass through our opponents back line to a Rovers striker.

• Like 1

What I really like about him is hes also pretty good at tackling and breaking up play. Made quite a few interceptions and got his foot in. While not as aware of danger as Travis hes probably as effective defensively as any midfielder weve had in a long time. I wouldnt be particularly worried if Travis was injured in playing Wharton and Buckley or Wharton and JRC together.

Think we're at the point now where we can confidently say hes our best academy product since Duff. Whether hes going to be as good or better than Duff or Dunn is hard to say till he gets to the Premier League. On technical quality he looks a future england international to me, but looking at the frankly ridiculous size and athleticism of prem midfielders today I do wonder if he will be able to mix it with them. Reckon he will get a shot one way or another though.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Think we're at the point now where we can confidently say hes our best academy product since Duff. Whether hes going to be as good or better than Duff or Dunn is hard to say till he gets to the Premier League.

Dunn came through after Duff. There's Jones as well. Hopefully he eclipses both. Help us win promotion and a cup like Dunn did, then we can flog him for megabucks and wish him well to go and win the major honours (kind of) like we did with Jones.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, XLM said:

Dunn came through after Duff. There's Jones as well. Hopefully he eclipses both. Help us win promotion and a cup like Dunn did, then we can flog him for megabucks and wish him well to go and win the major honours (kind of) like we did with Jones.

Ah yes youre right, Duff got games before we were relegated. More culpably I totally forgot about Jones. TBH hard to argue Wharton is as good as Jones was as by a year younger than Wharton he completely marked Drogba out of a game and was obviously going to play at the highest level.

• Backroom

Jones was top class for us in a higher division, injuries mainly did him in, as well as not having a settled position at Man Utd when he arrived. Wharton certainly the best academy product since then, though. He's basically what we all hoped Buckley would be. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Ah yes youre right, Duff got games before we were relegated.

IIRC Dunn broke through in the relegation season, but Duff came through the season before and was already first choice on the left by the time Dunn started getting games, with Wilcox moving to LB.

On Jones, it was immediately obvious he was destined for the top, until Wharton has proved he can do it against top opposition, there's still a question mark. Signs are good for AW and hopefully he stays long enough to be remembered fondly. Jones left a season too early, but in retrospect he might have known how dodgy his knees were and thought it was too much of a risk not to go when he did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, renrag said:

I think he disguises his passes simply because he knows his next pass before he receives the ball. Another aspect of his game, which I struggle to work out, is the number of times he wins the ball without actually committing to a tackle. I just think he has something that can’t be explained or coached and hope it continues to develop

Wharton has exceptional balance and never seems to be flat-footed.

• Like 3

Thus far this season he's looked outstanding at times. Whenever he has the ball you feel as though he might be about to play a defence splitting pass that nobody else on the pitch has seen. 

He is losing the ball too much at the moment but that's to be expected, given both his age and the fact he is constantly trying to be brave on the ball. Experience and fitness which comes with regular first team football and its scary how much potential he has. 

I pray we surround him with a few good players. I do think it's going to be am enjoy him while we can situation, unless by some miracle we are promoted this season.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, den said:

Anyone scouting players will look for any weaknesses in a player. Weaknesses that can’t easily be addresses with coaching or experience. Weaknesses that could stop a player reaching the top.

Anyone seen any in Adam?

I’ve not seen enough of him in the flesh yet. Watching on TV isn’t the same. What’s his heading ability like ?

22 minutes ago, den said:

Anyone scouting players will look for any weaknesses in a player. Weaknesses that can’t easily be addresses with coaching or experience. Weaknesses that could stop a player reaching the top.

Anyone seen any in Adam?

He has so much natural ability about him that must be a coaches dream to work with. A small area of improvement for me would be awareness when he is in possession. A few times he has been caught by opponents who have nicked the ball away from him. But hey, the kid is 19 and will undoubtedly improve the more he plays. I know it's brash but after seeing him in the under 21's I predicted he would play for England.

• Like 2

On 29/08/2023 at 09:08, den said:

Anyone seen any in Adam?

He's quite often described as tired on here and some hints at an attitude. I have no idea if either of these things are true or, if so, just features of being a very young player. I would, however, suggest that the trajectory of John Buckley should be a bit of a warning - not just for the player but the management too. You can have all the talent in the world but performing consistently in games takes mentality and, also, guidance from colleagues. Unfortunately, for our young players, there's not many experienced pros shouldering responsibility week in week out. 

He’s 19, he’ll have peaks and troughs, he’ll pick up knocks. Crazy to expect him to carry a side through a 50 game season, he’s still learning the game, no way the finished article.

Exactly why Buckley should not inexplicably have been sent to a fellow Championship club without a replacement.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Crikey, found this thread half way down page 3!

Significant than in the half at Coventry and the full game v QPR, Rovers % of possession has dropped by about 10.

Might be a coincidence but more likely that is the extent of the difference this lad makes even when he is not properly into his stride yet.

53 minutes ago, philipl said:

Crikey, found this thread half way down page 3!

Significant than in the half at Coventry and the full game v QPR, Rovers % of possession has dropped by about 10.

Might be a coincidence but more likely that is the extent of the difference this lad makes even when he is not properly into his stride yet.

Change of tactics more likely.

• Like 2