BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

5 minutes ago, Polky said:

Southgate has said that he’s been honest with the new members of the squad regarding their chances. I don’t think he’ll make the final 26 as Southgate won’t want to take the risk.

He’ll also take more defenders to cover for Maguire/Shaw’s injuries until they’re available in the latter group games.

Hopefully he will learn from Sven’s mistake when he took Keown, on Tord Grip’s advice, who was never going to get anywhere near the pitch instead of the exciting Matt Jansen. How that decision went on to affect Matt’s future career and life, sliding doors and all that.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Very proud every time I see him shine on a new stage. I'll always be happy about that. 

Hate seeing Crystal Palace fans claim him though, and say how proud they are. It's gonna take a long time before I'm over how we pushed him out the door to the first bidder. 

See I would say we pushed him out of the door to the Highest/Only bidder. If he hadn't gone to Palace he would not have been in tonights squad.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

A lot of players who are praised for their off the ball work aren’t great on it. Wharton will never need to run around like a headless chicken because he reads the game so well.

Faultless cameo. Get him on that plane.

When he first got into the Rovers team he would occasionally get caught on the ball and lose it, but he has learnt so much in the last 18 months or so it's frightening how good he is going to be. 100% pass success rate tonight 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s his decision making that makes him stand out. He knows where the ball is going next before he receives it.

Always the sign of a top class player.

Give him time and he will potentially be as good as Bobby Moore. 

Any youngster contemplating a loan with us should look at how we develop players like Wharton and Raya. Although some loanees have been duds, Harvey Elliott never looked back, Tosin just moved to Chelsea and Branthwaite is on a roll. 

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Venkys are solely to blame. They not only forced a sale to cover their own indiscretions but made none of the proceeds available. 

Tonight obviously is a proud moment but also a frustrating one. We had such a talented player and a Rovers fan on our hands and we had to rush him out the door because Venkys desperately wanted the money. 

That Venkys are culpable is a given, but whoever negotiated the deal is an idiot. 

So I’ll repeat, Waggott should be ashamed of flogging Wharton for £18m. 

9 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

That Venkys are culpable is a given, but whoever negotiated the deal is an idiot. 

So I’ll repeat, Waggott should be ashamed of flogging Wharton for £18m. 

I dont even know if Waggott or Broughton negotiated, but when with barely any time left in the window you are distressed sellers and other clubs know that, especially as many potential clubs couldnt act due to FFP.

These dickhead owners reject bids for players whose is value will soon be nothing yet when they need the money for them then unfortunately we are backed into a corner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Any youngster contemplating a loan with us should look at how we develop players like Wharton and Raya. Although some loanees have been duds, Harvey Elliott never looked back, Tosin just moved to Chelsea and Branthwaite is on a roll. 

We can't claim Branthwaite, he was shite for us.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Id be surprised if he does make it as Alexander Arnold and Gallagher start in midfield and Rice and Mainoo will probably play on Friday so he is well down the pecking order.

I suppose if there are 7 players to cut, youd imagine Trafford and Quansah are the obvious 2 so it might depend on injuries and squad spaces but there is also Jones too.

He's a much better midfielder than Alexander-Arnold.

Gallagher is a useful utility midfielder, but honestly I'd start Wharton next to Rice. Those two with Palmer / Bellingham / Foden in front of them would terrify teams.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ghost7 said:

A nice lesson for the "everything is fine at the club" happy clappers or the few of them that remain.

Better owners and he could have been part of a well managed, well funded starting 11 for the two seasons he played.

Instead he was surrounded by Indian government BS, managerial chaos and an incompetent CEO. It's the same story with Venky's nearly 15 years later...

Tragic, absolutely tragic what they have done to this club.

Whenever I hear my Man U supporting mate whine about them only finishing 7th I point at what the Venkys have done to Rovers. Soon shuts him up.

As for Wharton - I fear that'll be the straw that broke the camel's back for many season ticket holders. It's tragic that Crystal Palace got a 20 year old, ready made England international for £18m - a Rovers fan at that - and we only got to see him play for his club for 12 months. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 7

Almost 12 mths to the day, I was on my mate's stag do & got talking to his brother (hadn't met him before - long story, long lost family) & whilst we were waiting for the champions league final to start I was going on about this young lad that we had at Rovers. I must've gone on about him that much that he DID remember the name - got this from my mate earlier on this evening :

All I can say is, Steve Waggot,  Venky's, go fuck yourselves!!

Screenshot_20240604_030616_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 5

Congregations to Adam on winning the first of what will be many England caps. His performances won't have gone unnoticed by the big clubs who will be hovering soon to entice Palace with big money.

Shame on Waggott, Pasha and most of all the errant ones. What really galls me is that if Adam knocked on their door in Pune they wouldn't know who he is yet he was used as a pawn because of their business indiscretions.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Proud to see a Blackburn lad, schooled in our academy, look so comfortable on his England debut and likely on the plane to the Euros! ✈️ 

Forget the money, it’s irrelevant whether it was £18 or £25m as it won’t be re-invested back into the team under the cretins running our club. What it has done is kept our club going for another year.

Adam Wharton - the saviour of Blackburn Rovers FC and English Football 🙌 

Edited by DuffsLeftPeg

10 hours ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Very proud every time I see him shine on a new stage. I'll always be happy about that. 

Hate seeing Crystal Palace fans claim him though, and say how proud they are. It's gonna take a long time before I'm over how we pushed him out the door to the first bidder. 

I was upset when Phil Jones left, I felt he could have given a bit more to the club he supported as a lad, but he clearly knew behind the scenes was an absolute shambles and I was wrong, he got out as soon as he could, the right decision.

Adam Wharton never had a choice, he was sold as soon as a bid came in, he was forced out of the club due to court cases and lack of funding. Its an absolute travesty that makes me question what the point is anymore.

I'm made up for the lad, always good to see a local lad doing well, but as 47er very eloquently says above:

Is it possible to feel pride and deep sadness at the same time? I think so too.

Venkys out - Nothing else matters

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's a much better midfielder than Alexander-Arnold.

Gallagher is a useful utility midfielder, but honestly I'd start Wharton next to Rice. Those two with Palmer / Bellingham / Foden in front of them would terrify teams.

Gallagher is hard working and he runs around a lot but he won’t trouble the better sides we’ll be facing. A bit like Phillips was when he played for England.  Moving the ball from our back line into our opponents half without losing it is a key role in any team. None of Manoo, Gallagher etc can do it as well as Wharton. Even Rice, who really has to play, isn’t as good in that particular aspect of the game. They can all move it sideways, Wharton can move it forwards.

He makes the ball do the work, rarely runs far with the ball so he’s rarely caught in possession. Plus, as I was coached, if you pass the ball out and the ball goes astray you are still between the ball and the goals. If you run it out and lose it you’re in trouble. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, rigger said:

What a rise, three seasons ago playing regularly  at Leyland for our U 23s, now making his England full debut, all the best to him for the future.  

If I am not mistaken, just over 12 months ago, he was behind Tyler Morton in the pecking order. 

I think what Palace have picked up on is that currently, at least, he is not a defensive midfielder. He plays as a metronome but needs energetic midfielders around him who’ll do a big share of the dirty work.

Glad for him that he got the move as he’d have been a years away from a call up if he’d stuck with us.

The price issue is getting tedious. For a Champ player with no PL experience, a fee of around £22m isn't bad money. Bellingham went for £26m in comparison so should Birmingham be livid they didn’t get £100m? Maybe we could have held out for £25m but we’d get nothing like what he’s worth now whilst we were in the Champ. 

The timing of the move and what happens to the cash are separate questions, and it’s painful to see Palace get recognition for his ascent when he’s hardly played for them. 

Our biggest issue in recent years is that our best players have left for nothing. £22m is our record sale. Doesn’t mean we should be glad he’s gone but he can’t be characterised as being sold for ‘nothing’.

• Like 4