BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

3 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Maybe he did learn? On Boxing Day 2022 his Sunderland team beat Rovers 2-1 with them scoring a late late winner.

Maybe our players were kicking off because JDT told them to train Christmas Day and they weren't used to it anymore 😂 If he made them train that is. I'm sure we used to be fairly good on Boxing Day generally. Pretty certain there was a period of a few years where we would win it regularly. Maybe just when the games were at home, dunno.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2024 at 09:39, Polky said:

image.thumb.jpeg.8c09a5572d139699a3ff3e3ad8b6d602.jpeg

Another Broughton masterclass - as if it wasn't bad enough losing him for the miserley sum of £18m in the first place, surely even a six year old would think to include a hefty add on based on international call ups. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Another Broughton masterclass - as if it wasn't bad enough losing him for the miserley sum of £18m in the first place, surely even a six year old would think to include a hefty add on based on international call ups. 

True to usual form you blame everyone and everything but the actual problem.

Couldn't possibly be due to the owners of the club being under investigation for fraud and unable to send over funds could it.

Ridiculous.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Boxing Day results in the Championship under Mowbray (I think I've got this right):

2021: 3-2 defeat to Hull

2020: 1-1 draw with Sheff W

2019: 1-1 draw with Brum

2018: 3-2 defeat to Leeds

We did beat Rochdale in League One in 2017 but we were easily the best side in that league. Maybe Ol' Tone should have done some fucking Christmas Day training instead of being everyone's mate.

With the exception of the league one game, we haven't won on boxing day since 2006.

• Like 1

Maddison and Jones have been cut from the Squad before Wharton. He does play a role where Southgate have said we havent got much choice so if he's impressed in training he's got a chance.

I think it will be between himself and Bowen for the last spot. 

On 05/06/2024 at 09:18, RoverCanada said:

Athletic (/NYT now) article breaking down his Bosnia cameo: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5536821/2024/06/05/adam-wharton-england-euro-2024/

One snippet is the deal could be worth up to £22m. A pedantic pushback as I fully agree he was sold too early due to Venky's-induced cashflow issues, and we probably could've pushed that to £25m+ if we had hung on until the summer... but it sells it a bit short when people keep saying £18m (about 20% short 🙂).

I think we can be reasonably confident he'll be hitting plenty of add-ons (the article mentions one add-on is £250k once he hits 10 competitive international appearances, which seems a bit low for that kind of add-on, but perhaps a sign that most of the add-ons are less 'ambitious'/readily achievable). Also, that £22m number probably doesn't include sell-on fees (it's possible there's a 'firm' cap, can only speculate!), where you could imagine an additional decent chunk coming our way.

(To reiterate, none of the above points make me 'happy' and I'm very sad/angry that Wharton left so soon under the apparent circumstances. Like others are reporting, I'm now getting kudos in the pub for having pumped Wharton's tires a while back, but it's a mix of pride/sadness...)

Similarly, the Raya deal will probably have net us ~£9m once his Arsenal transfer is confirmed this summer, which doesn't look too shabby overall. Biggest failure of the Raya sale was then deciding that Walton was good enough to take on the no. 1 role... similar to essentially swapping Kaminski for Wahlstedt being a disaster this past season (I'm very cautiously/quietly optimistic that there's still a keeper in Wahlstedt...). Mowbray of course deserves some criticism for apparently losing faith in Raya for whatever reason...

Pretty much all of us knew this though. We keep saying 18 mill because that's all we're guaranteed. Btw the majority of reporting I've seen said the deal could reach 23 mill, not 22 mill. Dependent on the terms of the deal (remember, our negotiators are clearly shite) we might not get the majority of those add-ons beyond the sell-on if Palace simply sell him for a huge profit this summer.

In any case, the fees we ended up receiving for Raya and could receive for Wharton, before the sell-ons, are pretty much what I'd have expected us to get for the players guaranteed, before add-ons. And the reported sell-on clauses of 15% of profit are too low when selling top young talent. These should have been at least 20% of profit, or 10-15% of total sale. We've thrown away enough on these deals to pay for good Championship-level replacements for each player, likely with change left over if we had a good scouting and procurement system that we didn't need to completely reassemble every 12-24 months. Of course that said, we did get it right with Raya's replacement (albeit a year late, which meant we lost a whole season with Walton in goal), spending just 500k. Then we sold him for at least 1-2 million less than he was worth too, after alienating him by playing a shitter keeper ahead of him and reducing his market value.

We're just really bad at this player trading lark. We make the occasional good bargain recruitment, but our sales expertise leaves a lot to be desired. Between selling too low and failing to renew contracts or sell when contracts are running down and the player won't sign, we've pissed away tens upon tens of millions. Then we cry poverty.

Absolutely delighted for the boy, but also makes me sad that he's no longer ours. I'm fully aware if he was he'd be now near the squad by the way, but I still feel we should have had a couple more years out of him. Anyway lad,  go and make a name for yourself, win it for us but never forget your roots!!

• Like 2

Those believing Wharton should move to a top 6 club are wrong. Too many young players end up on the bench and as such are overlooked for the England team. Being a Crystal Palace player ensures the player is regularly playing. Proof is in the pudding as Crystal Palace have the most representation in the England squad for the euros. 
Wharton will be a massive player for Palace for the next few years, there’s no reason why the team can’t push for a European place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

sold on the cheap to crystal ****** palace,a scuzzy outfit in south london ffs,when adam ends up at a big club,palace will have the big money and we`ll get a paltry percentage,die venkys die

A scuzzy outfit that’s got 4 players in the England euros squad - bell end!

5 minutes ago, premier fan said:

Those believing Wharton should move to a top 6 club are wrong. Too many young players end up on the bench and as such are overlooked for the England team. Being a Crystal Palace player ensures the player is regularly playing. Proof is in the pudding as Crystal Palace have the most representation in the England squad for the euros. 
Wharton will be a massive player for Palace for the next few years, there’s no reason why the team can’t push for a European place.

Agree with u on most but Wharton is destined for far higher than Palace. He'll be a bayern or man city player in the next couple of years

1 minute ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

To think I was watching him at the start of this year in the stands and now he's about to show Europe how good he is and could be, incredible. Go and rip it up Adam.

Couldn’t believe his debut at Bloomfield Road, absolute quality. Delighted for him but sad that JDT didn’t get the backing to build a team around him that would have put us back in the EPL.

• Like 4