BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

What-ifs of course, but always wondered what Jack’s plan would’ve been if we had gone up in 1989. Would he still have bought the club in ‘91, or earlier? Or carried on with the bits and bobs of investment he made in the late 80s?

And yet the money we did get was 100% profit on a lad who 18 months earlier had never played professional football and is enough to ensure the lowlife in India need not cough up any cash themselves for another 12 months.

That's all they care about. Waggott has a big boost to the balance sheet and can use it to justify the 'plan' and the owners sit back and relax for another year in the hope another one emerges in that time.

We fans know that Palace had our pants down and that is now playing out before our eyes, admittedly more quickly than I expected, but barring a career threatening injury £18 million was always going to turn out to be a derisory sum for him

I can see that because I can see a medium to long term picture and impact. The people running Rovers don't because they just lurch from one thing to the next each season making it up as they go along.

Which is why we are in this mess and why the ground and ticketing, and commercial, and squad, is in such a dire state.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It seems the world has woken up to the talent of Adam. Man City are linked now although an immediate move for him is unlikely according to the article, perhaps after the end of next season. Still the money from his potential move will help Rovers to pay the wages and keep the lights on. I do wonder what his value is right now. Conservatively perhaps £40m? Whatever if Palace sold him now they would make a healthy profit........after playing 13 Premier League games. And some still think we got a fair price for him.

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11679/13025499/man-city-transfer-news-rumours-and-gossip-live-updates-and-latest-on-deals-signings-loans-and-contracts?postid=7782856#liveblog-body

Obviously a decade in the wilderness has meant a lot of folk on here have forgotten what a top player looks like.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I was there. We didn't show up.....but..... that Courtney decision was crucial.

It was awful.

I was based at that time just north of Brighton, got a match ticket from a work mate Palace fan. Got a lift up to the match with him but had to go back south in a train full of crowing Palace fans celebrating the penalty gift. Their words.

I saw us play a little better in the draw at Palace in the league a few months before, stood at what was the then uncovered end.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bellingham has won the La Liga player of the season and 2 trophies this past season 

So?

Room in team for trio of Rice, Wharton and Bellingham.

Just imagine the damage Bellingham could do in an advanced role with Wharton's vision and slide rule passes.

My prediction, England will win Euro 2024 and Wharton will be a mega star in that achievement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

Some pundits recognise talent like Jamie o'hara who bigged him up. 

True - others are obsessed with likes of Grealish and Mainoo.  If Wharton played for a 'glamour' club, he'd  be  hyped beyond belief.  I posted after the Blackpool match that one day Wharton would run England's midfield and possibly even captain the England side. Make no mistake he is that good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It was awful.

I was based at that time just north of Brighton, got a match ticket from a work mate Palace fan. Got a lift up to the match with him but had to go back south in a train full of crowing Palace fans celebrating the penalty gift. Their words.

I saw us play a little better in the draw at Palace in the league a few months before, stood at what was the the uncovered end.

I think I went to that game, did Palace score a last minute equaliser? Could have been the season before.

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes by Bright. Feb 89, 2-2

I was also there that day and the play off match in May. I’ve never been more devastated after a match than that play off defeat and have hated Palace ever since. It has been a great move for Adam but I really wish he had ended up almost anywhere else than Selhurst Park.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

I posted after the Blackpool match that one day Wharton would run England's midfield 

His England debut was just like his Blackpool debut. It was all there!

A real shame that the countries top clubs hadn't the brains or knowledge to go for him.

An auction would have given us something like his real value.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, arbitro said:

It seems the world has woken up to the talent of Adam. Man City are linked now although an immediate move for him is unlikely according to the article, perhaps after the end of next season. Still the money from his potential move will help Rovers to pay the wages and keep the lights on. I do wonder what his value is right now. Conservatively perhaps £40m? Whatever if Palace sold him now they would make a healthy profit........after playing 13 Premier League games. And some still think we got a fair price for him.

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11679/13025499/man-city-transfer-news-rumours-and-gossip-live-updates-and-latest-on-deals-signings-loans-and-contracts?postid=7782856#liveblog-body

It's the......... after playing 13 Premier League games bit, that's the argument. 

A Championship player will always have his ceiling, Bowen went to West Ham for £22 million after scoring 52 goals in 3 seasons for Hull, that now looks ridiculously cheap. 

Wharton will bring in the minimum £22 million, and much more when he leaves Palace for big money. To think we'd get much more as a Championship club, with his scoring/ assist record is a bit fanciful. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

It's the......... after playing 13 Premier League games bit, that's the argument. 

A Championship player will always have his ceiling, Bowen went to West Ham for £22 million after scoring 52 goals in 3 seasons for Hull, that now looks ridiculously cheap. 

Wharton will bring in the minimum £22 million, and much more when he leaves Palace for big money. To think we'd get much more as a Championship club, with his scoring/ assist record is a bit fanciful. 

Bowen was 24 when he went to West Ham, Adam was 20 when he left and the £22m was four years ago - what would that be now with inflation. If Adam was sold right now how much profit will Palace make? And after 13 games for them. I accept his England selection has heightened awareness and his value but even on MOTD and Sky pundits were eulogising about him and was what he had before his call up. I have said many times that Parrish fully exploited our need for instant cash and that, coupled with people like Waggott negotiating for us ensured Palace got him on the cheap. I know you think it was a fair price but I think you are in a minority and for most it's not with the benefit of hindsight, it was said at the time.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Bowen was 24 when he went to West Ham, Adam was 20 when he left and the £22m was four years ago - what would that be now with inflation. If Adam was sold right now how much profit will Palace make? And after 13 games for them. I accept his England selection has heightened awareness and his value but even on MOTD and Sky pundits were eulogising about him and was what he had before his call up. I have said many times that Parrish fully exploited our need for instant cash and that, coupled with people like Waggott negotiating for us ensured Palace got him on the cheap. I know you think it was a fair price but I think you are in a minority and for most it's not with the benefit of hindsight, it was said at the time.

It wasn't a fair price for his talent but we would not have got much more without proving himself in the premier league.

At the end of the day he had been performing well for us ,had shown his talent but yet hadn't yet even had a call up for the under 21s and  only 1 club put money down for him and that was palace.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Bowen is a goalscorer, they come at a premium, which is why I made the comparison. 

We could be well over £30 million with a sell on fee, for a Championship player, I think it's a fair price. 

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

It wasn't a fair price for his talent but we would not have got much more without proving himself in the premier league.

At the end of the day he had been performing well for us ,had shown his talent but yet hadn't yet even had a call up for the under 21s and  only 1 club put money down for him and that was palace.

Jude Bellingham went for a reported £25m after playing less games than Adam in the Championship. And on the Bellingham deal there were 'several million' in extras. There is also a report of Man Utd bidding £20m for Bellingham in the January before his summer transfer to Dortmund. Alex Scott went to Bournemouth from Bristol City for a reported £25m after playing 83 Championship games in three seasons.

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It’s very rare for a premier league side to pay more than 20m for a championship player. Look at who Crystal Palace have taken a punt on and bought from the championship in recent years for less than 20m and now worth considerably more:

Olise

Eze

Wharton

Top 6 sides rarely take a punt on championship players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

Bowen is a goalscorer, they come at a premium, which is why I made the comparison. 

We could be well over £30 million with a sell on fee, for a Championship player, I think it's a fair price. 

Bellingham was a midfielder and went for more than Adam after less Championship games. That is more of a comparison.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Jude Bellingham went for a reported £25m after playing less games than Adam in the Championship. And on the Bellingham deal there were 'several million' in extras. There is also a report of Man Utd bidding £20m for Bellingham in the January before his summer transfer to Dortmund. Alex Scott went to Bournemouth from Bristol City for a reported £25m after playing 83 Championship games in three seasons.

Jude had a way way bigger reputation than A.Wharton and had loads of clubs willing to pay that fee for him without even one full season under his belt.

Scott fair enough but still had more appearances than Wharton,more goals, more assists and had been involved with the England under 21s.I obviously believe Wharton was and is the better player but at end of day....

He was available for a very good price but it was only palace who paid the money for him