BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Jude had a way way bigger reputation than A.Wharton and had loads of clubs willing to pay that fee for him without even one full season under his belt.

Scott fair enough but still had more appearances than Wharton,more goals, more assists and had been involved with the England under 21s.I obviously believe Wharton was and is the better player but at end of day....

He was available for a very good price but it was only palace who paid the money for him 

Which is the point I am making. If something is bought for a very good price it invariably means the buyer got a bargain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Which is the point I am making. If something is bought for a very good price it invariably means the buyer got a bargain.

Yeah but only one club willing to back up any interest with cash so I personally doubt we would have seen much more money for him if we waited until the summer

He needed a move and to play with better players for his talent to be truly recognised imo.Clubs obviously had doubts about him before his move to palace or we would have seen more clubs putting cash on the table in January 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but only one club willing to back up any interest with cash so I personally doubt we would have seen much more money for him if we waited until the summer

He needed a move and to play with better players for his talent to be truly recognised imo.Clubs obviously had doubts about him before his move to palace or we would have seen more clubs putting cash on the table in January 

I didn't have any real issue with him going in January - I resigned myself to him leaving when I saw him for the under 18's. My issue was the well documented circumstances of us desperately needed money and as a consequence of that the fee we accepted.

You have made your point that you think we got a fair price for him and that's your opinion, I have no issue with that. Debates like This just go round and round because ultimately it's an opinion, nobody is actually right or wrong. It is however a fact that we got £18m rising to £22m and that, for me is clearly harder to bear than for you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I didn't have any real issue with him going in January - I resigned myself to him leaving when I saw him for the under 18's. My issue was the well documented circumstances of us desperately needed money and as a consequence of that the fee we accepted.

You have made your point that you think we got a fair price for him and that's your opinion, I have no issue with that. Debates like This just go round and round because ultimately it's an opinion, nobody is actually right or wrong. It is however a fact that we got £18m rising to £22m and that, for me is clearly harder to bear than for you.

No I don't think we got a fair price.I think it's a price that prem clubs wouldn't have gone much higher with, without him being tested against better opposition 

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s not even a debate.

It’s dead simple - it’s the only price he could’ve gone for with the seller being a distressed one. So I suppose it’s ‘value’ then.

I'm certainly not saying it is value, but he had one team willing to meet the low asking price so I think it is being optimistic in the extreme to think that loads of clubs would have been in for him in the summer willing to pay much more than what he was sold for.

What would have changed between January and the summer 

Plenty. Far more cash is thrown about for a start. He had a long contract.

You don’t bundle him straight out the door to a middling club who is offering a pittance…but of course the disgraceful owners gave us no choice.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

No I don't think we got a fair price.I think it's a price that prem clubs wouldn't have gone much higher with, without him being tested against better opposition 

Do you think Palace took advantage of our precarious financial position after the ED and court decision in India? They knew the clock was ticking as the transfer window was coming to a close. As I have said many times Parrish made mincemeat of Pasha and Waggott primarily because he knew we were desperate for money to stave off potential administration. If Palace had walked away we would have been in real trouble, troubled the owners making.

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm certainly not saying it is value, but he had one team willing to meet the low asking price so I think it is being optimistic in the extreme to think that loads of clubs would have been in for him in the summer willing to pay much more than what he was sold for.

What would have changed between January and the summer 

We would have been in administration 😉

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We would have been in administration 😉

Yeah and the administrators sell anything they can for whatever they can so although it would be nice for Venkys to be forced to leave while in admin or assets are all for sale and most likely not for market value 

Posted (edited)

If we had been open to selling once the transfer window opened in January we would have let it be known, had more interest and drove up a higher price. However if we knew we were selling we also wouldn’t have let Travis go.

The court case not being resolved led to a knee-jerk reaction to sell, and Palace were the only club who could move quick enough. 

We absolutely would have had more interest in the summer and would have had a higher fee. However he wouldn’t be on a plane to Germany next week so I presume he’s now glad he did go.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah and the administrators sell anything they can for whatever they can so although it would be nice for Venkys to be forced to leave while in admin or assets are all for sale and most likely not for market value 

Not really. Players can walk away for nothing if they haven't been paid for three (I think) consecutive months. The money from Palace staved that off because when the window closed nobody could be sold. As will the Raya and Szmodics (if he goes) money.

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If we had been open to selling once the transfer window opened in January we would have let it be known, had more interest and drove up a higher price. However if we knew we were selling we also wouldn’t have let Travis go.

The court case not being resolved led to a knee-jerk reaction to sell, and Palace were the only club who could move quick enough. 

We absolutely would have had more interest in the summer and would have had a higher fee. However he wouldn’t be on a plane to Germany next week so I presume he’s now glad he did go.

Absolutely. He most likely saved us from administration and is now in the England squad for the Euros.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Bowen was 24 when he went to West Ham, Adam was 20 when he left and the £22m was four years ago - what would that be now with inflation. If Adam was sold right now how much profit will Palace make? And after 13 games for them. I accept his England selection has heightened awareness and his value but even on MOTD and Sky pundits were eulogising about him and was what he had before his call up. I have said many times that Parrish fully exploited our need for instant cash and that, coupled with people like Waggott negotiating for us ensured Palace got him on the cheap. I know you think it was a fair price but I think you are in a minority and for most it's not with the benefit of hindsight, it was said at the time.

Bowen was never going to more than a good Premier League player. The sky is the limit with Wharton.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If that's what it takes to get this cancer cut out of this club, so be it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Jude had a way way bigger reputation than A.Wharton and had loads of clubs willing to pay that fee for him without even one full season under his belt.

Scott fair enough but still had more appearances than Wharton,more goals, more assists and had been involved with the England under 21s.I obviously believe Wharton was and is the better player but at end of day....

He was available for a very good price but it was only palace who paid the money for him 

He was sold late in January when many teams wouldnt have been in a position to bid.

Its a different market in the summer, teams dont tend to have the same budget in January especially now with FFP. More teams bidding and after a further half a season of experience, and without the desperation to sell, we could receive much more.

Regarding Scott, hes a different type of player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He was sold late in January when many teams wouldnt have been in a position to bid.

Its a different market in the summer, teams dont tend to have the same budget in January especially now with FFP. More teams bidding and after a further half a season of experience, and without the desperation to sell, we could receive much more.

Regarding Scott, hes a different type of player.

It would have been £6 million on this season's books,many teams could have paid that without any trouble.We might have got a little bit more in the summer but not a massive amount so I don't agree we would have sold him for much more.

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

Do you think Palace took advantage of our precarious financial position after the ED and court decision in India? They knew the clock was ticking as the transfer window was coming to a close. As I have said many times Parrish made mincemeat of Pasha and Waggott primarily because he knew we were desperate for money to stave off potential administration. If Palace had walked away we would have been in real trouble, troubled the owners making.

Parish and Wee Dougie against Pasha and Waggott.  The mind boggles - IMO, our two way, way, way out of their depth.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, arbitro said:

Bellingham was a midfielder and went for more than Adam after less Championship games. That is more of a comparison.

Bellingham has just won the Champions League playing for Real Madrid, he's one of the most coveted players in the world,after being one of the most coveted youngsters, leaving Birmingham when he was only 17.

We got £7 million less for Adam Wharton, i think your comparison does your argument no favours. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, M_B said:

Bellingham has just won the Champions League playing for Real Madrid, he's one of the most coveted players in the world,after being one of the most coveted youngsters, leaving Birmingham when he was only 17.

We got £7 million less for Adam Wharton, i think your comparison does your argument no favours. 

Yes, the comparisons with Bellingham are silly. It seems possible that Bellingham could win the Balon D'Or come the end of the year ; however excited we and others might be by Wharton he has a long way to go still to get to that level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M_B said:

He hadn't won anything when Dortmund signed him and being coveted isn't any guarantee of going on to be successful.

• Like 4

I was only thinking about this earlier today. The sign of a really class player is whenever they’re asked to move on up to the next level of football they do it effortlessly and immediately looked like they are part of that team. Wharton has done that each time.

Youth football to Championship football - tick

Championship football to Premier League football - tick

Premier League football to International football - tick

• Like 2