BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Angel gomes is similar to Wharton.  Both press resistant.  Can play through the lines 

I don’t even know what that means. What lines?

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I don’t even know what that means. What lines?

Breaking the lines in football is when an attacking team passes the ball past the deepest player in the opposing team's formation. A line-breaking pass is a pass that goes through a line of the opposing team's formation, such as between two defenders. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Breaking the lines in football is when an attacking team passes the ball past the deepest player in the opposing team's formation. A line-breaking pass is a pass that goes through a line of the opposing team's formation, such as between two defenders. 

So a forward pass then.

Got it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Gomes is so good he's been stuck in France for 4 years without any prem clubs looking at him and half of England has never heard of him,I'm betting Wharton finishes his career with more England caps.

What a stupidly England-centric view of world football.

He's going to be playing Champions League football this year, but, you're right, he'd be better off playing for Crystal Palace.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, roverandout said:

Angel gomes is similar to Wharton.  Both press resistant.  Can play through the lines 

What does that mean? I've been involved in football for a long time and some of this terminology has me baffled.

I had some trousers that were press resistant 😂

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, arbitro said:

What does that mean? I've been involved in football for a long time and some of this terminology has me baffled.

Able to consistently and effectively play through team operating a high press.  Take the ball from the defence and distribute forwards quickly, exploiting the space left by the team that is trying to press.  Good on the ball, able to play in tight spaces, and good decision making.  Whilst many of these new terms are a little silly, this one does make sense and is a much shorter descriptor.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

He's going to be playing Champions League football this year, but, you're right, he'd be better off playing for Crystal Palace.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Play in England or in a league nobody other than the French watch,hmmmmm difficult choice,give it 12 /18 months and Palace will be Whartons former team while he will be onto a team capable of winning the Champions league. 

49 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Able to consistently and effectively play through team operating a high press.  Take the ball from the defence and distribute forwards quickly, exploiting the space left by the team that is trying to press.  Good on the ball, able to play in tight spaces, and good decision making.  Whilst many of these new terms are a little silly, this one does make sense and is a much shorter descriptor.

Sums up what makes Wharton stand out as a player. Not many of them about.

• Like 3

Playing through the lines isn’t just passing or playing forward it’s about forward passes that go through a line of formation exploiting the pockets of space behind and beyond each line of defence. The ability to receive between the lines enables players to turn and play forward with speed. It requires excellent vision and to often see what could be there rather than what is there. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

I must be getting too old for this game 😁. It used to be so simple.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

It means when he's in control of the ball and in tight situations he doesn't give It away. That's in layman's terms

Remember when that young Joe on here used to get really snippy if folk took the piss out of all this Football Manager terminology and ‘data’… but then again a quick google says he now works for Barrow so he’s obviously living the dream off the back of it ! 😀

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Play in England or in a league nobody other than the French watch,hmmmmm difficult choice,give it 12 /18 months and Palace will be Whartons former team while he will be onto a team capable of winning the Champions league. 

The England team could only benefit from more players playing abroad. On top of that, I'd much rather have players who are involved at sides actually winning matches and competing for things over players plodding along in midtable (at best) mediocrity.

That isn't a knock on Wharton's potential, and I admire how defensive the Wharton stans are on here, but to be so dismissive of Gomes because you don't watch him regularly is ridiculously dumb. 

• Like 1

Gomes is an excellent player and given his form in France deserves to be in the squad. If injury concerns are keeping Wharton out fair enough, if not I’m disappointed he’s not in ahead of Gallagher or Gibbs-White. Gallagher offers very little other than running. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Remember when that young Joe on here used to get really snippy if folk took the piss out of all this Football Manager terminology and ‘data’… but then again a quick google says he now works for Barrow so he’s obviously living the dream off the back of it ! 😀

People watch football in different ways and for different reasons. Should be a place for both. 

• Like 3

Of course.

No issue with stats or descriptors, but most of the terminology you read now is just age old tactics/postions re-labelled. I.e ‘a pivot’ ‘a number 6’, yet said with an earnest nodding head like they were just invented in the ‘data room’ at Brentford’s training ground or wherever.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1