BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

He's just from the generation of ipad coaches that used to be clipboards and pens and they think technology and it's terminology is the answer to everything on earth.

Yes there's a place for it but just that, a place, it makes me laugh though how they full endorse the digitalization of everything yet failing to realise it's all part of the bigger plan by silicone valley to save money and pave the way for AI to control the lot.

They are leading themselves to the dole queue in a few years time but the current era is batshit daft in many ways not just football coaching.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

The England team could only benefit from more players playing abroad. On top of that, I'd much rather have players who are involved at sides actually winning matches and competing for things over players plodding along in midtable (at best) mediocrity.

That isn't a knock on Wharton's potential, and I admire how defensive the Wharton stans are on here, but to be so dismissive of Gomes because you don't watch him regularly is ridiculously dumb. 

How many more would you like, Eddie?

Bellingham, Kane, Gallagher, Sancho, Tomori, Toney (LOL) have all played abroad - I'm sure there's more that have had loans abroad too.

The rest generally play at the top 3 or 4 teams in the strongest league in the world.

10 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Remember when that young Joe on here used to get really snippy if folk took the piss out of all this Football Manager terminology and ‘data’… but then again a quick google says he now works for Barrow so he’s obviously living the dream off the back of it ! 😀

Tbf Barrow are having their most successful spell in history right now. Maybe Joe’s data is playing a big part in that

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

How many more would you like, Eddie?

Bellingham, Kane, Gallagher, Sancho, Tomori, Toney (LOL) have all played abroad - I'm sure there's more that have had loans abroad too.

The rest generally play at the top 3 or 4 teams in the strongest league in the world.

For the sake of the England team, it would be great to have a lot more playing around Europe. There's no doubting the benefit that it can have on a player's development to go and play in a different league, learn different styles, have a pretty major life experience and mature as a result.

You start to look at countries and wonder 'what do they do better'? Often it isn't a question of talent, but I do think that many of them benefit from going abroad and learning a different side of the game as a result.

What's more, I think it is one of the biggest factors behind why we see a general lack of good English coaching/managerial talent. You look at the post-Southgate discussion and there was a real lack of talent amongst the English options. No English manager has ever won the Premier League and I think only 8/9 have ever managed a Champions League match.

Again, our game is so big and has so much money that this isn't because we don't have the right funnel for coaches and managers, but we may suffer from a lack of retired players who can see football in a more advanced or well-rounded way. 

The easy argument against that will be that Klopp never played outside of Germany and Guardiola barely had a career outside of Spain - but both have lifelong interests in the world outside of their home countries and that has then influenced their coaching career path. We see that same lack of adventure in the player decision-making on the coaching level. 

As for your list, pretty notable that you're choosing 'have' played abroad and you're also listing some players that aren't part of the current England setup. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Playing through the lines isn’t just passing or playing forward it’s about forward passes that go through a line of formation exploiting the pockets of space behind and beyond each line of defence. The ability to receive between the lines enables players to turn and play forward with speed. It requires excellent vision and to often see what could be there rather than what is there. 

So a through ball then.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Tbf Barrow are having their most successful spell in history right now. Maybe Joe’s data is playing a big part in that

No they aren’t. They spent some years in Division 3 (now league 1) in the 60s. I can remember seeing them at that level.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

No they aren’t. They spent some years in Division 3 (now league 1) in the 60s. I can remember seeing them at that level.

I have a feeling the great Tony Field played for Barrow but no idea what Division  it was ..

14 hours ago, only2garners said:

It was the 66/67 season. I saw Tony play for 4 different clubs - Southport, Rovers, Sheffield United and New York Cosmos but not Barrow.

Tell us more about the NY Cosmos one of you don't mind. Sounds interesting!

I stumbled across two replica New York Cosmos shirts on the rack in TKMaxx a few years ago. They were the “ Pele “ No 10 shirts, one home, one away. Luckily they were my size and I wear them out in Spain but I would have bought them anyway.

You can argue about who was the second best ever, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, etc but he was the number one for me.

My early life and Tony's seemed to coincide a lot. Being brought up in Rufford and at school in Ormskirk, I used to watch Southport (where I was born) with schoolmates quite a bit when at school, despite being a Rovers fan through family connections. We would usually see Southport play at home on a Friday night and then I would be at Ewood for home games and somewhere else locally if they were away. I probably saw more of Tony Field at Southport than anywhere, as his move to Rovers coincided with me moving to Sheffield for university. I did then see him play at Bramall Lane a few times between 1974 and 1976.

My wife's brother lived in New York in the late 70s with his American wife so we went over a couple of times and on one of those I saw both Tony Field and Pele play together for the Cosmos. (I had already seen Pele play for Santos against Sheffield Wednesday in a friendly game on a Wednesday afternoon because of the 3 day week and no power for floodlights).

Anyway, this is now spectacularly off piste on the Adam Wharton thread........

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lraC said:

I believe he played with Pele there.

I once met Tommy Smith's son (Darren maybe?) and he had a great story about Pele from when he was a kid.

They'd moved over to the USA temporarily when his dad got a move over there. They went to a restaurant and Pele attempted to go in but they wouldn't let him as he was black. 

So Tommy also left the restaurant and they all went for McDonalds as they would let Pele in.

Great story to tell people about the time you were a kid and went to McDonald's with Pele. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Adam has withdrawn from the England under 21 squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c5y5zr5rjx8o

A sensible decision as he hasn't has a ton of rest this summer coming off the back of his first full season where he's played most mins of most games.

It was also a really poor decision from carsley to drop him down to the under 21s. They should have been using these games to give him a go in the 1st team.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

A sensible decision as he hasn't has a ton of rest this summer coming off the back of his first full season where he's played most mins of most games.

It was also a really poor decision from carsley to drop him down to the under 21s. They should have been using these games to give him a go in the 1st team.

There is a mention of a slight groin injury which is hampering his general fitness. Hopefully a good rest will help his recovery.