BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

23 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

A sensible decision as he hasn't has a ton of rest this summer coming off the back of his first full season where he's played most mins of most games.

It was also a really poor decision from carsley to drop him down to the under 21s. They should have been using these games to give him a go in the 1st team.

Do you not think that it has been planned?

There was already discussion surrounding his fitness and injury when the original squad was announced. Had he been in the full squad, withdrawing would have been a lot more complicated. Had they left him out of every squad it would have looked rather odd. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

There was already discussion surrounding his fitness and injury when the original squad was announced. Had he been in the full squad, withdrawing would have been a lot more complicated. Had they left him out of every squad it would have looked rather odd. 

By palace yes. By england no

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Highlights, again, how much international football has devalued. All manner of players pulling out with vague conditions - not to claim that they’re not real, but I’m sure some are precautionary. I don’t blame them as they’re under pressure from their clubs and also face an ever expanding fixture list. I really think international football and domestic cup football faces a serious threat of heading the way of the Olympics football tournament, an afterthought, as players and fans are simply saturated by games.

An exciting part of international tournaments was also discovering new players and styles of play. But it’s all becoming rather the same, though, no doubt that being there as a fan is a different matter.

Edit: Olympics is overstating it, I think, but the devaluation seems clear.

Edited by riverholmes

55 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Highlights, again, how much international football has devalued. All manner of players pulling out with vague conditions - not to claim that they’re not real, but I’m sure some are precautionary. I don’t blame them as they’re under pressure from their clubs and also face an ever expanding fixture list. I really think international football and domestic cup football faces a serious threat of heading the way of the Olympics football tournament, an afterthought, as players and fans are simply saturated by games.

An exciting part of international tournaments was also discovering new players and styles of play. But it’s all becoming rather the same, though, no doubt that being there as a fan is a different matter.

Not an afterthought to me

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, 47er said:

Article says Liverpool and City monitoring Wharton"s progress.

If so they'll have to pay a fortune.

Dumb of both but not as dumb as us.

https://esteemedkompany.com/2024/09/08/manchester-city-will-face-competition-to-sign-the-ideal-player-for-their-midfield/

Bizarre that a bigger club didn't take a punt on Wharton at the price he was being sold for. English, young, cut-price, tons of upside and the price we were willing to sell at was a drop in the ocean to these clubs. Especially for a player who was ready to be a part of a first-team squad, even if only on the bench initially.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, 47er said:

Yes we'll get something but nowhere near as much as Palace and we had him from the age of 6.

But if you have no problem with that.....

I have more of a problem with letting a Rovers fan go, than the price we got.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Bizarre that a bigger club didn't take a punt on Wharton at the price he was being sold for. English, young, cut-price, tons of upside and the price we were willing to sell at was a drop in the ocean to these clubs. Especially for a player who was ready to be a part of a first-team squad, even if only on the bench initially.

At a bigger club Wharton would probably not have been played even if he made the bench. So he would most likely not have been able to prove that he can cope at premier league, level.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

I have more of a problem with letting a Rovers fan go, than the price we got.

Well I've got problem with both. If he was to go, not my decision of course, I'd have preferred to get something nearer his true value.

But we probably wouldn't have seen much of it anyway.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, rigger said:

At a bigger club Wharton would probably not have been played even if he made the bench. So he would most likely not have been able to prove that he can cope at premier league, level.

One imagines he goes out on loan to a couple of PL clubs over the next few seasons to get him regular game time and see how his progression goes. Worst case scenario, based on the current market, he doesn't improve as hoped and gets sold - most likely for more than the club brought him in for. Best case scenario he fulfills his potential and becomes a regular fixture for the club he originally signed for. Barring a catastrophic injury, which is a risk for all players, or a sudden attitude problem, I'd say buying a talent like Wharton for £18m is very low risk.

If the Man Utd version of Casemiro and McTominay can be regulars at a supposedly big PL club, Wharton definitely can be.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, philipl said:

On the profit over what was paid.

Southgate not giving Wharton a minute in a competitive game has apparently cost us at least a million in add ons.

That’s the Southgate that said “ We’ve been waiting 8 years for a player like this to come along “. Then never played him in a competitive match.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s the Southgate that said “ We’ve been waiting 8 years for a player like this to come along “. Then never played him in a competitive match.

I'm sure once he signs for a 'big club' he'll be the first name on the team sheet.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I'm sure once he signs for a 'big club' he'll be the first name on the team sheet.

He will be the English Rodri this time next summer. Or just Wharton if he stays at palace. Same player , different stardom depending on the shirt you wear. Madness. Arnt these men supposed be paid millions to identify talent . His talent won’t change if he bangs a Liverpool shirt on 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

He will be the English Rodri this time next summer. Or just Wharton if he stays at palace. Same player , different stardom depending on the shirt you wear. Madness. Arnt these men supposed be paid millions to identify talent . His talent won’t change if he bangs a Liverpool shirt on 

Perhaps if Wharton gets a big club move, we could get him back on loan ?

I’ve watched AW a few times on MOTD this season and 3 or 4 times I’ve  seen him go to ground and miss the tackle in the middle of the park. Each time the opposition have scored a few seconds later. Every time its his lack of strength/pace that lets him down.

He’s obviously a fantastic footballer with the ball at his feet but he’ll need to improve the defensive side of his game if he’s going to reach the very top.

• Like 1