BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Alan Shearer

37 minutes ago, Andy said:

None better in my opinion, either for us or in the Prem era.

When you look at the sheer number of goals he scored for us, in the amount of games he did it in, and against the quality of opposition he played against in the Premier League, nobody comes close.

Feel fortunate to have grown up with this man as our striker. You felt like you were 1-0 up before games even kicked off.

Thierry Henry says hello 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Thierry Henry says hello 

Thierry Henry had much better players around him generally speaking than Shearer did. I’m not saying he single handedly won us the league but without him in our side we don’t finish 4th, 2nd, 1st and 7th in those first four seasons. And then he went to Newcastle and carried on where he left off and on one leg too. 
Nobody will ever convince me that Henry was better than a peak Alan Shearer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Thierry Henry had much better players around him generally speaking than Shearer did. I’m not saying he single handedly won us the league but without him in our side we don’t finish 4th, 2nd, 1st and 7th in those first four seasons. And then he went to Newcastle and carried on where he left off and on one leg too. 

I don’t think anyone can hold a candle to peak Henry. 

I think Henry was a better all-round player, but Shearer the better goalscorer.

I probably should have made that clearer - Shearer was the best goalscorer this club (and the Premier League) has seen, in my opinion.

• Like 7

Will Kane return and get the 47 goals he needs to break Shearer’s PL record?

He’s 31 tomorrow. Chances are the earliest he would return he would be 32. With the deterioration we saw for England, he’d probably need 3 to 4 seasons. Unlikely.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Shearer 1992 until 97 (his first injury at Newcastle, he changed his game to be more of a target man after that) was unreal, had the lot -  anybody that thinks there has been a better goal scorer in that era can’t have seen much of him.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hasta said:

Will Kane return and get the 47 goals he needs to break Shearer’s PL record?

He’s 31 tomorrow. Chances are the earliest he would return he would be 32. With the deterioration we saw for England, he’d probably need 3 to 4 seasons. Unlikely.

Any simarialty between Kane and Shearer is purely coincidental , he is not fit too lace Shearers' boots ...Old song : 'when the going gets  tough the tough get going '

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Just think if they had played in the same team ?

• Like 1

This will be my 55th year of watching my beloved Blackburn Rovers :

I can tell you now , no one compares to Alan Shearer , quite simply the greatest footballer, i have ever seen in a blue n white shirt...That's the only shirt , that matters ! 

• Like 7

I have many memories of Alan Shearer, one sticks out when he came on has sub against Newcastle at St James Park 1993 ? First game back after his  ACL ..

Stood on the Gallowgate , with the Rovers fans , clean through with 10 mins to go ,we were getting battered that Sunday afternoon, the Great man scored, Shearer scored when it really mattered ! My late father , said to me only that only Finney compared to Shearer  as a centre forward  .He had seen them all ....What a player , it  makes me weep to see what these fuckin Indians have reduced us too ..

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Andy said:

I think Henry was a better all-round player, but Shearer the better goalscorer.

I probably should have made that clearer - Shearer was the best goalscorer this club (and the Premier League) has seen, in my opinion.

Those,were days my friend: At number nine  it couldn't be clearer we got super Alan Shearer and no one and absolutely no one , can take those days away from me !

• Like 1

Surely the greatest player for our Club ever.

In the first half of 92 when he scored 16 goals by December and before his first serious injury he was lightning quick and quite simply unstoppable.

Never quite the same after that imo but successfully adapted his game after that and also  after a further serious injury to become an all time great.

Without the injuries there'd be no debate about the greatest Premier League player imo, it'd be a different debate.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 6

• Backroom

My dad often remarks that Shearer’s injuries robbed of the 300-goal mark, and nobody will ever do that.

Closest to ‘how Shearer played’ (in his opinion) was Rooney at Utd, and with two of the world’s best wingers helping him, he couldn’t touch Shearer.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Shearer 1992 until 97 (his first injury at Newcastle, he changed his game to be more of a target man after that) was unreal, had the lot -  anybody that thinks there has been a better goal scorer in that era can’t have seen much of him.

Yeah, who know had good he could have been without that first injury.

R9 Ronaldo was the best ever forward in terms of outside England.  If it wasn't for injuries he could have been even better. In terms of epl, Shearer,  kane, suarez, Henry were probably the best ever forwards 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2024 at 16:19, SuperBrfc said:

People talk about Henry, Rooney, Aguero, Kane and others. All top strikers in their own right, but nobody is ahead of this man for me.

We saw the best. A legend who produced his best in a Blackburn Rovers shirt. We will never forget what you did for us and Uncle Jack, Al.

A few goals for this thread:

This is my favourite Shearer goal 

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 1

• Backroom
3 hours ago, roverandout said:

This is my favourite Shearer goal 

My favourite is THAT volley for Newcastle vs Everton.

Even better than that Scholes one they always repeat imo.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My favourite is THAT volley for Newcastle vs Everton.

Even better than that Scholes one they always repeat imo.

Yes, that was a stunner. I know this is another Newcastle goal, but this hit from Shearer is also amongst my favourites. Martin Tyler and Andy Gray on commentary make it even better. Plus the fact that it was against that lot:

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Newcastle and England goals??

Some of us (me) were too young to remember Shearer in Rovers colours. I remember age 8 (1999) telling dad how much I liked Shearer and he had to convince me he’d played for Rovers.

• Like 2