BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League

On 09/08/2023 at 22:01, JHRover said:

An amazing coincidence that the fixture computer throws up Kompany's dingles at home v City for the first game of the new season and Sky Sports just happen to have a documentary on the dingles that they are ready to release the same week. Funny how these things work out.

I remember reading am article when the fixtures were done by a person not a computer 90s, early 2000s?) and the guy was very open and transparent that it wasn't particularly random. There were all sorts of deliberate changes. I think 2 teams in the same city not playing at home the same time,  avoiding other sporting events and top teams avoiding each other in the last week. And those are just the ones I remember. So it doesn't surprise me that criteria like this could be added in,  nor do I think they are really promoting it as coincidence either. 

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I remember reading am article when the fixtures were done by a person not a computer 90s, early 2000s?) and the guy was very open and transparent that it wasn't particularly random. There were all sorts of deliberate changes. I think 2 teams in the same city not playing at home the same time,  avoiding other sporting events and top teams avoiding each other in the last week. And those are just the ones I remember. So it doesn't surprise me that criteria like this could be added in,  nor do I think they are really promoting it as coincidence either. 

To be honest everyone plays everyone twice home and away. Might aswell make the calendar as interesting as possible. I don’t have an issue with it. Be nice to see city put 6 past the dingles before anyone else kicks a ball 😂

• Like 3

When they are doing things like avoiding two local teams both playing at home on the same day there is a reasonable excuse and basis for it - avoiding / minimising the risk of fans clashing or stretching police resources too thinly. It also doesn't affect who plays who just that one will be away when the other is at home.

But when the actual games - and teams - are being fixed to suit a media company's agenda - which is what I think is happening here and has happened several times in recent years - that's taking it to a new level and leads to the question - if they are capable of setting the fixtures to suit what the media people want then what else are they capable of fixing or changing in the name of 'entertainment'?

11 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

All this talk of Harry wants the all time goal scoring record is copium for Spurs fans since they win nothing. Who cares about that apart from sad 14 year olds, or the kids nd of gimps that argue whether Ronaldo or Messi is better? Someone, someday will beat that whereas winning leagues and cups are there forever. 

I hope Kane goes and enjoys life in a new country.

Meh. Shearer did both.

Still the best ever.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

When they are doing things like avoiding two local teams both playing at home on the same day there is a reasonable excuse and basis for it - avoiding / minimising the risk of fans clashing or stretching police resources too thinly. It also doesn't affect who plays who just that one will be away when the other is at home.

But when the actual games - and teams - are being fixed to suit a media company's agenda - which is what I think is happening here and has happened several times in recent years - that's taking it to a new level and leads to the question - if they are capable of setting the fixtures to suit what the media people want then what else are they capable of fixing or changing in the name of 'entertainment'?

I think we all know the answer to this.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Oh I agree entirely. But then as I said the top clubs not playing each other in certain weeks has been around since inqas a lad - which can solely be an entertainment thing - so its not new. Doesn't mean its right though. 

I see that Watford v QPR last weekend was reversed with the agreement of the league and clubs as QPRs pitch wasn't ready, meaning QPR play 2 away games to start off with and Watford have 2 home games.

Still don't know why the same couldn't happen with Luton v Dingles.

• Like 1

Brighton to receive British record £111m for Moises Caicedo

That's third division Brighton, as in Hove Albion

Caicedo joined Brighton from Ecuadorian side Independiente del Valle for £4m in February 2021

Over to you and your scouting team Gregg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I see that Watford v QPR last weekend was reversed with the agreement of the league and clubs as QPRs pitch wasn't ready, meaning QPR play 2 away games to start off with and Watford have 2 home games.

Cos Dingles wouldn't agree to it. Watford did. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Brighton to receive British record £111m for Moises Caicedo

That's third division Brighton, as in Hove Albion

Caicedo joined Brighton from Ecuadorian side Independiente del Valle for £4m in February 2021

Over to you and your scouting team Gregg

This kind of comment looks a bit silly when they’ve been in the PL for 6 years now and been steady away. Luckily, football is a meritocracy and not a closed shop….

Thank goodness for promotion and relegation and teams not being content with standing still.

Mad what you can do with good people at the top!

• Like 9

Brighton have a huge and affluent catchment area, they spent a fair bit of time in the 80s in the top flight and generally have had a lot of time in the second tier. 

Now Bournemouth and Brentford you can make a case for being historically third/fourth tier clubs with not much in the way of achievement or fanbases… but it’s a bit silly tarring Brighton with them.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Brighton have a huge and affluent catchment area, they spent a fair bit of time in the 80s in the top flight and generally have had a lot of time in the second tier. 

Now Bournemouth and Brentford you can make a case for being historically third/fourth tier clubs with not much in the way of achievement or fanbases… but it’s a bit silly tarring Brighton with them.

Haven't been but passed their ground a couple of years back, looks very good.

3 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

A bit of a smack in the teeth for Klopp 😁😁

Surely the player and agent shown Klopp and Liverpool some encouragement for going there, but also Chelsea agreed a deal to sign Tyler Adams for 20 million pounds but now withdraw their bid. Both clubs want to sign Lavia from Southampton. 

I would sign Chelsea need a new striker more. Signing Adams made sense to me for the fee. 

11 hours ago, JHRover said:

I got told the dingles wouldn't agree because they would be at home the same day as Rovers. I don't know why they couldn't play on  a Sunday.

• Backroom

Kaminski, Bell, Steele, Van Hecke and Ryan Giles all starting in the Luton Brighton game, sounds like Bell was slightly at fault for the opener 

Edited by Tom