BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Luton 1 win in 11 but not in the relegation zone.

Four very poor teams down there battling it out for the relegation places this season. Although Luton are arguably the only team putting up much of a fight so far.

10 hours ago, K-Hod said:

To not see that ball being out of play, is probably the worst display of incompetence I can recall.

The ball didn't go out according to Bein Sports

New camera angle reveals whether ball crossed the line for Newcastle's goal v Arsenal (msn.com)

I don't think it was foul or offside so the goal rightly stood. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The ball didn't go out according to Bein Sports

New camera angle reveals whether ball crossed the line for Newcastle's goal v Arsenal (msn.com)

I don't think it was foul or offside so the goal rightly stood. 

Good for Bein Sports, I’ve seen it a few times and think it was out.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Good for Bein Sports, I’ve seen it a few times and think it was out.

I've seen it more enough, and they were no conclusive evidence either way during the game. The ref and VAR got it correct with all 3 decisions and Newcastle were rightly given the goal. 

Arteta should be complaining at his defenders for stopping and playing to the whistle. Raya has made another mistake there

19 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

No conclusive evidence yet the ref got it right. 🤔

The decision should always in favour of the attacking team hence why VAR couldn't overturned it the original decision by the ref on the pitch. Bein Sports have shown that the ref and VAR were correct 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The decision should always in favour of the attacking team hence why VAR couldn't overturned it the original decision by the ref on the pitch. Bein Sports have shown that the ref and VAR were correct 

Re the bit in bold - why?

I agree once the ref made the decision he did there wasn’t enough evidence for VAR to overturn it.

6 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Re the bit in bold - why?

I agree once the ref made the decision he did there wasn’t enough evidence for VAR to overturn it.

Cos the ref or the linesman havent give the decision that the ball has gone out. The ref shouldn't give the decision cos Arsenal players appeal for it.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos the ref or the linesman havent give the decision that the ball has gone out. The ref shouldn't give the decision cos Arsenal players appeal for it.

I agree with that but that wasn’t my question.

The question was why should the benefit of the doubt always go to the attacking  team.

5 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I agree with that but that wasn’t my question.

The question was why should the benefit of the doubt always go to the attacking  team.

Cos you can't be sure the whole ball has gone out so the play continue as normal. In this case the attacking team got the benefit of doubt/decision. Match officials shouldn't be guessing

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos you can't be sure the whole ball has gone out so the play continue as normal. In this case the attacking team got the benefit of doubt/decision. Match officials shouldn't be guessing

That’s still not answering my question, forget this specific incident - what do you think should happen in the below hypothetical one?

The referee isn’t sure whether a foul has been committed in the box - should he:

a) give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team and give a penalty or

b) give the benefit of the doubt to the defending team and wave play on

15 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

That’s still not answering my question, forget this specific incident

Yes it does. 

15 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

- what do you think should happen in the below hypothetical one?

The referee isn’t sure whether a foul has been committed in the box - should he:

a) give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team and give a penalty or

b) give the benefit of the doubt to the defending team and wave play on

If the ref thinks a foul has happened then give the decision as a foul. VAR would check it for the PL ref whether it is in the box or not anyway 😉

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes it does. 

If the ref thinks a foul has happened then give the decision as a foul. VAR would check it for the PL ref whether it is in the box or not anyway 😉

It really doesn’t.

If the ref thinks it’s a foul he obviously gives it but you were talking about the benefit of the doubt.

I give up.

On 05/11/2023 at 06:11, K-Hod said:

To not see that ball being out of play, is probably the worst display of incompetence I can recall.

Worse than the Spurs-Liverpool fiasco?

This one is subjective, albeit lots of different incidents bundled into 1. I'd have still given the goal. 

I like this explanation; ESPN: VAR review.

Arteta and Arsenal were way over the top with their reaction. 

• Like 1

I love the fact that people believe VAR and SkySports don’t have a camera to conclusively show that the ball was in or out, but Bein Sports have an exclusive ‘angle’ that proves it.  Bein Sports have done a bit of computer wizardry to have a guess whether it was in or out, but it’s still not definitive.

For what it’s worth, I think all 3 decisions are too close for VAR to overrule so have to be the referee or linesman call. The problem nowadays is that I think officials ‘shit out’ of making decisions, expecting VAR will just bail them out. 

Edited by Hasta