BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League

Are Chelsea trying to give Venkys a run for their money as worst owners or something?

They've saddled the club with a load of debt, appointed Maresca as manager which is laughable, and face a very bleak long term future. They're destroying that club very quickly.

• Like 2

I don't think the move by Maresca move to Chelsea is laughable but I don't understand what Chelsea plan and strategy is here. they want a younger coach for some reason. they had Potter and they ran out of patience quickly with him. 

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think the move by Maresca move to Chelsea is laughable but I don't understand what Chelsea plan and strategy is here. they want a younger coach for some reason. they had Potter and they ran out of patience quickly with him. 

Did you say it was reported that Pochettino was unhappy with things like trying to force a set piece coach on him, or something similar?

If his departure has been even partly caused by interference like that then it is absolutely crazy, just let him manage. Stuff like this seems to becoming more and more prevalent in modern day football. Ive said the opposite about Ten Hag, but with Pochettino at Chelsea, there were clear signs in an overall mixed season that things were coming together, a style was forming and results towards the end of the season were excellent with some of the signings made showing clear signs of improvement. 

Maresca seems a very underwhelming choice to replace him. It seems they want someone to expect minimal responsibility.

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Did you say it was reported that Pochettino was unhappy with things like trying to force a set piece coach on him, or something similar?

Yes that what I read plus other things

If his departure has been even partly caused by interference like that then it is absolutely crazy, just let him manage. Stuff like this seems to becoming more and more prevalent in modern day football. Ive said the opposite about Ten Hag, but with Pochettino at Chelsea, there were clear signs in an overall mixed season that things were coming together, a style was forming and results towards the end of the season were excellent with some of the signings made showing clear signs of improvement. 

Pochettino seems to bring together the team and they were developing but I don't ever think everything was right behind the scenes for months. 

Maresca seems a very underwhelming choice to replace him. It seems they want someone to expect minimal responsibility.

Its not a choice I would have made but its seems more clubs want just a head coach coaching the team and match days whilst the DoF and other off the staff deal with transfers, contracts and scouting. Liverpool have done this with Edwards, Ward and Hughes all joining Liverpool now under a very different structure to when Klopp was there. 

3 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Are Chelsea trying to give Venkys a run for their money as worst owners or something?

They've saddled the club with a load of debt, appointed Maresca as manager which is laughable, and face a very bleak long term future. They're destroying that club very quickly.

They've a long way to go before that.

They haven't even tried to deliberately relegate the club yet, nor have they paid out all their top players 80% of their contracts to get them to leave.

There's a lot for them to do before they can start deliberately sabotaging any attempt to get promoted back to the premier league.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2024 at 19:43, Dan said:

Didn’t the same thing happen with two Red Bull owned teams? 

Yes, Leipzig and Salzburg, who are owned by Red Bull, who also have added minority share ownership in Leeds to their portfolio.

The question seems to be about whether an owner has "decisive influence" over more than one club, as to whether UEFA will allow them to compete in a competition. In the case of Red Bull, some people were removed from key positions and some financial and commercial ties were amended or dropped at Salzburg and that seems to have satisfied UEFA.

The legal standard is "comfortable satisfaction" , I read, rather than "beyond reasonable doubt." Without knowing too much about it, it seems, as long as the clubs look independent, then that is enough. Whether they are actually operating independently maybe a different matter.

This is getting pretty heavy now. It appears that City are getting their retaliation in first for the 114 charges brought against them.

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the premier league will be reduced to a farce if city don`t get the book thrown at them,you can`t have one rule for one and then another for others

Some of the things in the article are ridiculous like London clubs can charge more for tickets so City want to have artificially inflated sponsorship to balance this off. This could make or break the Premier League as we know it.

I wonder if the EFL have an equivalent of the Association Party Rule? This rule can restrict the amount of sponsorship money that a company associated to the club (I believe Etihad Airways is owned by one of the City owners family for example) for obvious reasons and as such will have to be approved by the league. If there is something similar in the EFL I wonder if the sponsorship deal that the VH Group do with Rovers has been approved. It was reported at the time as a  'multi million' package and covered all teams from under 9's to the ladies and 'enhancing their visual presence'.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/july/19/rovers-strike-significant-sponsorship-deal-/

This latest episode just goes to show what a grotesque institution the PL has become.

The game at that level is beyond ruin, all down to the ever increasing greed of TV companies, the so called top clubs and their global owners.

And the sad thing is, is that the same is happening in the Championship. 

• Like 6