BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League

It's comparing players that play in different eras even though Shearer's is only 20/30 years ago,it's abit like saying what would Jimmy Greaves do in this City team,i'm guessing he'd be as good as Haaland and Shearer

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

That's the main point (in bold) for me.  Shearer was never involved in a team that dominated the ball and created as many chances as Man City do now.

Haaland is a truly wonderful goal scorer.  I think that the version of Shearer that we had at Rovers was better, and if you could drop him through time into Haalands spot in the Man City squad, he would outscore him

Shearer in his prime could score from anywhere in the last third. He scored some real thunderbolts in his time. He was jaw droppingly good.

• Like 6

difficult to compare players of yesteryear,shearer had to contend with defenders who could get away with scything tackles and shirt pulling,haaland only needs to be breathed upon and it`s a free kick and a yellow card for the defender,would he be as effective if up against a prime steve bruce,colin hendry or tony adams,i doubt it ,all three of them would have strangled the life out of him,his main creater de bruyne would have been given the old reducer as well🙂 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

difficult to compare players of yesteryear,shearer had to contend with defenders who could get away with scything tackles and shirt pulling,haaland only needs to be breathed upon and it`s a free kick and a yellow card for the defender,would he be as effective if up against a prime steve bruce,colin hendry or tony adams,i doubt it ,all three of them would have strangled the life out of him,his main creater de bruyne would have been given the old reducer as well🙂 

Great players would be great players in any era. Today's players would be good in the 60's, and 60's players would be good in today's game.

If defenders in years of yore had the ability to stifle players why did strikers routinely score 25+ league goals per season? If Haaland played in the 70's he'd knock 7 bells out of defenders, then out run them, scoring plenty.

As to him v. Shearer I'm a biased Rovers fan who would take Shearer every time. Graeme Le Saux was co-commentating on NBC yesterday. He stated that he's only seen 1 player who he trusted to score like Haaland; Alan Shearer when he played with him at Rovers.

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Great players would be great players in any era. Today's players would be good in the 60's, and 60's players would be good in today's game.

If defenders in years of yore had the ability to stifle players why did strikers routinely score 25+ league goals per season? If Haaland played in the 70's he'd knock 7 bells out of defenders, then out run them, scoring plenty.

As to him v. Shearer I'm a biased Rovers fan who would take Shearer every time. Graeme Le Saux was co-commentating on NBC yesterday. He stated that he's only seen 1 player who he trusted to score like Haaland; Alan Shearer when he played with him at Rovers.

Strikers scored more goals back in the day because the emphasis then was on attack and getting the ball into goal scoring areas. When you played with two out and out strikers and two wingers supplying the chances you couldn’t fail. 

Early predictions:

Dyche the first manager to be sacked - replaced by Moyes.

Ten Hag does not last the season.

Ipswich most likely to stay up out of the promoted clubs.

City to win it by Easter again.

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Haaland is a world class finisher but a league 1 player as Roy Keane said 

That was a throwaway comment clearly intended to cause a stir.

He seemingly is asked to not get involved in build up because City are so dominant that he can stick to just scoring goal after goal. But you would struggle to find a player with his movement, pace, heading ability, strength and power in League 1.

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Haaland is a world class finisher but a league 1 player as Roy Keane said 

He does what he's paid to do,not everybody needs to be a Messi,plenty top class goalscorers were not great technically,for example Lineker scored goals and not much else.

• Like 1