BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League

But the initial conversation was about the players and what has triggered this conversation is the addition of the added games I mentioned. They are the ones that shouldnt be added to the calendar.

Obviously Pep is totally wrong to want the League Cup scrapped, although it hasnt stopped him from winning it numerous times.

Im not saying that if you put it to the players, that they can either lose part of/reduce the domestic or continental calendar, and it would hurt them financially if they chose the latter, they may well choose the former. But this whole conversation seems to be based on the addition of needless games into the international calendar, the world club calendar and additional Champions League games. And it is a fair point shown by additional injuries.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But the initial conversation was about the players and what has triggered this conversation is the addition of the added games I mentioned. They are the ones that shouldnt be added to the calendar.

Obviously Pep is totally wrong to want the League Cup scrapped, although it hasnt stopped him from winning it numerous times.

Im not saying that if you put it to the players, that they can either lose part of/reduce the domestic or continental calendar, and it would hurt them financially if they chose the latter, they may well choose the former. But this whole conversation seems to be based on the addition of needless games into the international calendar, the world club calendar and additional Champions League games. And it is a fair point shown by additional injuries.

I agree completely, but I also fear the rich are the most powerful here and that's not what will happen.

Many, many years ago (2005ish) we talked about a European midweek league and a domestic league at the weekends. It's just happened by stealth. I mean, look where we are now with the champions league.

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 12.49.30.png

If viewing figures and interest is high in this, and the format proves popular for the armchair fan, then it will become "Why can't we expand it and play 10 games in Europe during Autumn / Winter" and so on. And it will be the domestic game which gets squeezed out.

If they suddenly say that "unless you finish in the bottom 8 in that league above your Champions League spot is secured" then we have the European Super League from a couple of years back.

And the top clubs will lap it up. 

But to your point, I agree. Go back to 6 CL games, ditch the World Club Cup and if you want to do the Nations League do it over a longer period so in each international break you only play 1 game. Otherwise ditch international breaks completely.

Edited by Hasta

UEFA had one chance to bury the European Super League (a league they, on the surface, got very upset about) when the founder clubs of the breakaway competition completely embarrassed themselves - not only didn’t they take their chance, they actually capitulated to the very same clubs who got their way regardless.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Silas said:

I'll give you a different argument. 

I pay a shedload for all the TV subscriptions to watch the matches that make them so well paid.

I want value for my money, I want to be entertained as regular as often.

All the English teams in the CL have massive squads, with strength and quality running deep.

Just rotate more, let those overpaid reserves get a crack more often.

But they won't, because they have to win the competition. What 'City' are saying is- we want to win every competition via as few games as possible!

Course they do. Minimum effort, maximum reward. And the less games, statistically more chance of them succeeding, as less abnormal variance (sending offs, dodgy penalties etc). Less variance means the best team will conquer more, and they're the best team.

But I (and I am millions of viewers) want them to put more shows on, entertain me more. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you're deperate to protect the players, put a limit on mins played a week. Force them to rotate. Would probably help even the playing field tbh. Make it all more competitive. 

But don't demonise the viewers for thinking they're being a bit whiney about the schedule,  when we can all go to their squad list and compile 2 full strong 11's with change left over. It's gaslighting. 

Some well reasoned points there, with probably none ever making it to serious discussion stages.

My annoyance comes from those who are viewing it through the single prism of footballers get paid well so they should keep quiet.

I agree that there are too many games. International football has pointless breaks. The Champions League is now longer, and now FIFA have decided to add teams to the daft club world cup. 

Guardiola gave Rodri extra leave after the Euros but Guardiola knows that Rodri is indispensable, (I think more so than Haaland and De Bruyne), and for that he will always play. Rodri won't criticize Guardiola so makes general complaints about strikes instead. 

David Raya doing the business again for Arsenal tonight. I was ridiculed for this when I said it last year, but I genuinely think he's in the picture for top 5 goalkeepers in the world. If not top 5, he's definitely top 10. 

Still can't believe Mowbray shipped him out so cheaply. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

David Raya doing the business again for Arsenal tonight. I was ridiculed for this when I said it last year, but I genuinely think he's in the picture for top 5 goalkeepers in the world. If not top 5, he's definitely top 10. 

Still can't believe Mowbray shipped him out so cheaply. 

Mowbray was a complete dick head though. He's set this club back decades with his mediocrity.

• Like 1