BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Arnor Sigurdsson

• 4 months later...
On 26/12/2023 at 13:13, because of boxing day said:

He hasn't shown any great pace trickery or consistent desire to get past his immediate defender. As such defenders find him easy to play against. But he has bought into the JDT way.

If he added a committed progressive dimension to his decent finishing ability he would be more threatening.

Has the penny dropped?

The above was my view about him on Boxing Day last year. I didn’t see much over the rest of last season to suggest he had overcome what I perceived as a lack of desire to run the hard yards. 
This season following his recovery from injury last season he’s had a full pre-season and looks like he may just have cottoned on. 
He may just prove to be the player we thought we were getting. 
Yesterday’s goal had so many positive elements to the product. Finding space in midfield good early forward pass to Gueye in space outpacing all around him into space decent control in taking possession tenacity to brush off his immediate opponent and the power and precision and placement of the shot. 
Then there was the passionate reaction to being the goal scorer with the fans on BBE and other players.  
One swallow doesn’t make a summer but fingers crossed. 🤞

• Like 2

• Backroom

Impossible to tell. We'll only be able to judge if he gets promoted to the starting eleven again for a few matches. We already know he has it in his locker to score goals and create assists, playing well in short bursts, It's just a question of whether he can bring value across a 90+ minute match, or whether his role is better suited as an impact sub to come on when we need a bit of magic. I'll have to trust JE to make that judgement call.

He's probably one of our most mysterious players of recent times.

I get the feeling, and this is pure conjecture, that JE has said to Arnor that he has to play a certain way and reach a certain standard and he'll have a part to play. I don't think tracking back and being positionally perfect is in his locker, but he makes up for it with natural talent on the ball.

I get the impression he has a great attitude though, he's suffered with injury and also perhaps has had to adapt his body, many times he seems to be playing "within himself". I think it's taken time for him to also adaprt to the rough and tumble of the league. But not once has he seemed to have ever moaned or downed tools. 

We take him for granted, but if you're an Oxford fan on Saturday you're putting the defeat down to the fact that Rovers can bring an Icelandic international off the bench. 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Any word on his continued absence? Seemed ill last week but didn't make the squad at pne

Both he and Duru were out for the warm up but didn’t make the bench. He’s just quite a way down the pecking order I presume.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who on the bench would you have dropped to put him on the bench? 

We do have a strong bench. Tbf it's a difficult one to answer. I was more curious about whether he was ill or just not in the squad for another reason 

• Backroom

I'd guess there's a good chance he'll go in January, and if not then almost certainly next summer, so you can understand prioritising other players - especially when Siggy has proven to only ever really be useful in 10-15 minute bursts per game.