BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 16/09/2023

7 hours ago, USABlue said:

I've aleays felt Dolan does better off the bench than he does starting.  Been tellin ya, gone to his head already with this lad.

Dolan is at his best when left on the bench. It is when he comes onto the pitch that his weaknesses stand out.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, rigger said:

Dolan is at his best when left on the bench. It is when he comes onto the pitch that his weaknesses stand out.

personally I think Dolan is better in a central position, either upfront leading the press or alternatively playing off someone.

He shouldn’t be starting at the moment either way. I like him a lot but his confident is shot and needs a break. We’re desperate for Siggy to hit the ground running. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

The next to Gordon Taylor and Chris Sulley is Johnny Byrom who was a great favourite in the early sixities before leaving for Bolton in 1966.  Seemed to always give us problems whenever we played Bolton thereafter.  Returned to Rovers right at the end of his career for a season.  A really great guy.

Chris Sims is between Bryan Douglas and Malcolm Darling.

I didn’t see Byrom the first time around, as it was before my time. I did see him play his final season for us too.

I also remember Malcom Darling playing against us too, but can’t remember who he played for.

His sister Stella Oldfield (née Darling) was a family friend and I remember her telling me her brother was playing against us, the night before the match. 

Does anyone remember who he played for?

13 minutes ago, lraC said:

I didn’t see Byrom the first time around, as it was before my time. I did see him play his final season for us too.

I also remember Malcom Darling playing against us too, but can’t remember who he played for.

His sister Stella Oldfield (née Darling) was a family friend and I remember her telling me her brother was playing against us, the night before the match. 

Does anyone remember who he played for?

Used to see him often in the Olde White Bull Saturday nights. Quite happy to talk about the day's game to anyone who asked him. As to his other clubs take your pick!

Malcolm Darling (born 4 July 1947) is a Scottish former professional footballer. He was a winger who played for Blackburn Rovers, Norwich City, Rochdale, Bolton Wanderers, Chesterfield, Stockport County, Sheffield Wednesday, Hartlepool United and Bury

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Not exactly uncommon for silly takes - positive and negative - to be posted in match threads, often in the heat of the moment with heightened emotions. Unless the poster continues to repeat it for days afterwards none of the comments made during matches should really be taken seriously. Hardly unique to this mb either. You'll see the same kind of comments on any other football message board during and after matches, as well as down the pub and in the stands. 

Well said. People all in their feels, some people struggle with it more than others. They will get there 😁

Just now, 47er said:

Used to see him often in the Olde White Bull Saturday nights. Quite happy to talk about the day's game to anyone who asked him. As to his other clubs take your pick!

Malcolm Darling (born 4 July 1947) is a Scottish former professional footballer. He was a winger who played for Blackburn Rovers, Norwich City, Rochdale, Bolton Wanderers, Chesterfield, Stockport County, Sheffield Wednesday, Hartlepool United and Bury

Thanks. It was Chesterfield 

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Not exactly uncommon for silly takes - positive and negative - to be posted in match threads, often in the heat of the moment with heightened emotions. Unless the poster continues to repeat it for days afterwards none of the comments made during matches should really be taken seriously. Hardly unique to this mb either. You'll see the same kind of comments on any other football message board during and after matches, as well as down the pub and in the stands. 

Well said. People all in their feels, some people struggle with it more than others. They will get there 😁

• Backroom
1 minute ago, BigBar said:

Have done it plenty of times myself tbf. Sometimes you post something during a match, especially if we're losing or things seem to be going against us, and later you realise it was an unfair comment. If it was muttered in a pub or when you were sitting at Ewood nobody would care or even remember after the match, but obviously on here people can go back through the match thread afterwards and pick out posts to criticise. Such is the internet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The next to Gordon Taylor and Chris Sulley is Johnny Byrom who was a great favourite in the early sixities before leaving for Bolton in 1966.  Seemed to always give us problems whenever we played Bolton thereafter.  Returned to Rovers right at the end of his career for a season.  A really great guy.

Chris Sims is between Bryan Douglas and Malcolm Darling.

You'd know better than me Parson but Byron always seemed to score against West Ham! I was sharing a flat with 2 guys around the mid-sixties  who were West Ham fans and they dreaded him being picked!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Have done it plenty of times myself tbf. Sometimes you post something during a match, especially if we're losing or things seem to be going against us, and later you realise it was an unfair comment. If it was muttered in a pub or when you were sitting at Ewood nobody would care or even remember after the match, but obviously on here people can go back through the match thread afterwards and pick out posts to criticise. Such is the internet.

Yeah shouldn't be taken too seriously as you said. Don't have to agree with it, better off just passing over it...reading people's posts on the internet and then getting upset about it🤣

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Yeah shouldn't be taken too seriously as you said. Don't have to agree with it, better off just passing over it...reading people's posts on the internet and then getting upset about it🤣

Sometimes it's okay to be annoyed with what somebody posts. If a day or two after the match, for example, somebody is still commenting that Telelovic's debut shows that he'll never be up to it then it's fair game for criticism. If it's just something posted during the match... eh, personally I'd just leave it be and assume it's an emotional reaction and not necessarily indicative of that person's genuine view. Obviously people can do as they please, that's just my take on it. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

Sometimes it's okay to be annoyed with what somebody posts. If a day or two after the match, for example, somebody is still commenting that Telelovic's debut shows that he'll never be up to it then it's fair game for criticism. If it's just something posted during the match... eh, personally I'd just leave it be and assume it's an emotional reaction and not necessarily indicative of that person's genuine view. Obviously people can do as they please, that's just my take on it. 

I'm worried about the Tel to be honest..how many goals you reckon would be acceptable in his debut season?

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The Liverpool forum RAWK locks down the board during the game to ensure folk aren’t coming out with all that impulsive stuff you may well regret after… you should try it here, Mods 🤭

No need for that. If you don't like the content on here during a match then give it a skip ..can't try police it to your own tastes.

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, BigBar said:

I'm worried about the Tel to be honest..how many goals you reckon would be acceptable in his debut season?

Considering the level he's been playing at and the fact he must have been a very cheap signing, I don't really have any expectations for him. If he scores a few then great, if not then it was a cheap punt that hasn't paid off. My main focus in terms of who I'm expecting goals from are the likes of Gallagher, Dolan and Hedges who have plenty of experience at this level and need to stop missing easy chances. If they're getting plenty of assists then that's fine too, as it means at least someone else will be scoring the goals. 

7 minutes ago, BigBar said:

No need for that. If you don't like the content on here during a match then give it a skip ..can't try police it to your own tastes.

If we started policing this place like RAWK we'd barely have any posters left, so probably not in our best interests.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The Liverpool forum RAWK locks down the board during the game to ensure folk aren’t coming out with all that impulsive stuff you may well regret after… you should try it here, Mods 🤭

I get why they would do that, but I just think people should take some comments with a pinch of salt on here. People can always be impulsive during the match, but it fundamentally doesn’t matter. Everyone has a right to their opinion, no matter how daft it may appear. I think the bigger issue is the lack of contrition a lot of the time.

There aren’t many ‘you know what, I got that one wrong’ posts. Pride comes before (and after) a fall and all that…

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Good point, the way JDT wants to play is very demanding. I can imagine some of those lads won't know what's hit them.

The Championship is also demanding. 

Moran look shell-shocked yesterday by the end of the match and he was only on for a bit. He kept losing the ball, kept being closed down, and kept being dragged into positions he wasn't comfortable. Boro were all over him. It must be a huge step up from the U23's. 

I think the big difference with u23’s is the that speed of being closed down. In 23 games they move the ball quickly and I find it enjoyable to watch however it’s noticeable how passive the press is. It’s more of a training ground press where the aim is to get there rather than get them and win the ball. Focus always seems to be on delaying and denying space, forcing the players to make decisions. Whereas in championship they get there and make you play and if you don’t you’ll lose it.

12 hours ago, 47er said:

Never understood this in relation to Wilcox. Local lad, came up though the ranks, held his place amongst a horde of big transfer players and capped for England!

Yet plenty of his own fans didn't like him!!

PS you missed John "Handbag" Connelly off that list!

I always thought Wilcox was a lightweight. I don’t go in for abusing players at the game though. Nobody plays better when the home fans are on their back, with away fans it’s different,  that should inspire you. They only boo good players.

Connelly was an ex Dingle and on the way down after an out standing career. He’d never been a physical player although I remember him and Bryan Douglas getting booked after a set to in a testimonial game of all things !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I trained with Malcolm a few times when he was just about at the end of his career (at Darwen).

Lovely unassuming fella.

• Like 3