BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers Women

13 hours ago, Bronzed A Donis said:

Think that kind of proves the point though doesn't it.

Speculate to accumulate or invest to strive for better. Rather than cut back.

Otherwise let's just say why can't Rovers get some lads from the soccerdome that will reduce our losses.

It's the ownership mentality of the last 13 years om show.

Is investing in the ladies team a sensible financial decision?

Is there any need for Blackburn Rovers to have a ladies team apart from purely ticking a box?

The fact that this thread is 6 years old and only 10 pages long suggests that there isn’t much interest, no matter how disgusting people find it that we’re paying amateur footballers semi-professional wages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Is investing in the ladies team a sensible financial decision?

Is there any need for Blackburn Rovers to have a ladies team apart from purely ticking a box?

The fact that this thread is 6 years old and only 10 pages long suggests that there isn’t much interest, no matter how disgusting people find it that we’re paying amateur footballers semi-professional wages.

I understand that point, It's a reasonable point financially. 

It's probably never going to make money, but tbf neither does the mens team.

We should want the women's team to be associated with Blackburn Rovers, it's good for all the girls in the local area to aspire to, which is what a club bearing the towns name should be.

I think it's quite telling that a lot of other clubs are taking the women's side increasingly seriously,  a lot of new ownership make it a priority probably because the optics look good and as they can see the direction of travel in that area and the growth of the women's game, including financially. Whereas we had a strong base and are regressing.

A lot of the above is naive of me I understand that, what I find most galling is, the shoulder shrugs , the oh well it doesn't make money.

If these owners never refuse a cheque and we have to tell them to calm down when it comes to spending as Mowbray and Steve W have said, this is a good avenue away from FFP rules we are constantly told they are hamstrung by, how often we hear "they want to invest but you know FFP". 

You and I both know they have no intention of doing so, never did, the club is not of interest to them, I just think this shows that in the negative light of national media, we have billionaires that don't want to improve the club even when they can and a chief executive who shows contempt for those who want more than the absolute minimum.

I don't want this to be a rant at you, I do understand the logic financially , completely . Just feels like more downgrading , with no excuse this time to hide behind and bad publicity to boot. Dingles will overtake the women's side and that chasm was and still is huge,  it's the attitudes closing the gap.

• Like 4

• Backroom

Ian Wright just brought us up in ITV's Stick to Football Euro show.

Discussing Mary Earps leaving Manchester Utd for money and Jim Radcliffe saying he needs to prioritise the 1st team.

Wright said "You look at what's happening at Blackburn and Reading,  it's not right."

Then tried to mention it again and was cut off. Think he was going to quote the minimum wage salary bit.

Obviously knows his stuff, but then he does present a lot of the women's football. 

Fun when only time we get mentioned on the bigger stage is for negative stories.

Not for the fan takeovers, not for the Eid at Ewood,  not for nurturing Adam Wharton and the great relationship he still has with the fans (very rare in modern football when a player leaves). Nope, let's just chat about 4 months at Crystal Palace instead. 

We get noticed for all the wrong reasons. Infuriating. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just looking at the final tables from last season in the top 2 divisions of women's football is quite eye opening

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/womens-super-league/table

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/womens-super-league-two/table

In the top Division, the top 6 were the big 6 men's clubs, and the rest of the top division were made up of clubs fairly established in the men's Premier league, with the exception of Bristol City who got 6 points and finished last by some distance

Crystal Palace won promotion from The 2nd division, the rest of the division was made up of mainly men's Championship teams (including Rovers)

Newcastle (another club with money) were this season promoted to the 2nd division, without knowing anything else about their players/team etc, I will hazard a guess that they will win the division at a canter.

It is fairly obviously something that can only realistically be supported/funded to what the pundits and journalists would call an "acceptable level" by fairly established men's Premier League teams who do not have to worry about going bankrupt.

Maybe if the journalists petitioned their bosses at various media companies, they could convince them to give better tv deals to women's football to make it more feasible.

It irks me somewhat that Venkys haven't put a penny into any part of the club in some time, and nothing has been mentioned by pundits/journalists etc until something which is en vouge is affected

Edit - If there is decent money available in the women's top division, then what appears to be a 1 up, 1 down system of promotion/relegation doesn't offer much incentive for many of the 2nd division teams to take a chance on promotion, without something like play offs to give them a helping hand

Edited by KentExile

I am a season ticket holder at Rovers. Have been for many years. I have never watched a woman's game. I don't have the time, and to be honest I don't have any interest in it.

• Like 1

• Backroom

The noise went quiet without the club having to comment on it, think they got away with that one 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Rovers have announced that the Women's team will play all their home matches at Ewood. It's screaming out 'cost cutting' to me.

Don't the club get some sort of financial grant from the FA if games are played on the home ground?  I noticed Aston Villa have moved their games from Walsall to Villa Park for the coming season.

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Don't the club get some sort of financial grant from the FA if games are played on the home ground?  I noticed Aston Villa have moved their games from Walsall to Villa Park for the coming season.

I was told that there was an financial incentive last season to play games at the home ground but I don't know about this season. I know we were paying £2k for each game at Leyland several years ago so the likelihood is that is more now. Similarly I haven't seen any confirmation of where the under 21's are playing their home matches yet after a poorly worded communication from the club cast doubt on the venue of games.

Reading the Villa statement it says that last summer they had record season ticket sales for their women's team. Perhaps Walsall isn't big enough to cope with demand.

• Backroom

The daughter of a good friend of mine has just signed on at Rovers. Rejected offers from City and Utd to do so partly because she’s a fan and partly because she’s more likely to play.

Having seen her play for Accy Ladies a few times, I do think she’ll be a Lioness fairly soon (I think she’ll be a full Lioness at 16yo, she’s that talented).

• Like 5

On 21/07/2024 at 09:08, Mattyblue said:

Plus a fair few youth games, the pitch will take a battering, though I suppose we’ll be back to early cup exits again which will reduce the wear and tear.

we will need a poor pitch to bring the opposition down to our mens1st team level

• 3 weeks later...