BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yes this is the Venky and shadow man model. Money only comes in if there's a 'business plan' argument supporting it. See Davenport, Edun etc.

Interesting that the Indian government 'restrictions' seem to be eased for this one but of course prevent any signings of proven quality/ experience.

I’d have loved to have seen those business plans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

How do you know he only gets young players to sign off on? The evidence, as quoted, suggests otherwise.

Venkys are clueless, we all know that. But you haven't grasped the fact that despite this, some of the blame for our poor results is on Tomasson for his tactics, and on Broughton and Tomasson for between them signing poor players.

Are you mates with Chaddy by any chance?

I'd be interested to know if JDT have the choice of signing Telalovic or no one? If so I'd be hard pressed to blame JDT for business like that.

We know for a fact he asked for a striker, got O'Brien instead, then didn't even get him. And none of that was his choice. Do we blame him for that too?

9 minutes ago, booth said:

I'd be interested to know if JDT have the choice of signing Telalovic or no one? If so I'd be hard pressed to blame JDT for business like that.

We know for a fact he asked for a striker, got O'Brien instead, then didn't even get him. And none of that was his choice. Do we blame him for that too?

I'd be hard pressed to believe that anyone with any semblence of judgement would have signed Telalovic, whether that be Broughton, Tomasson, or a combination of both.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

My first thought with this deal, if true, is that Hill must be going back.

I'd be surprised - have Bournemouth had a rash of injuries at CB? He's going to get far more playing time here than there. 

I assume it's just Broughton building for the future - they must really fancy this player to pay £500k for him when on paper he's no better than fourth choice this season. 

42 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd be surprised - have Bournemouth had a rash of injuries at CB? He's going to get far more playing time here than there. 

I assume it's just Broughton building for the future - they must really fancy this player to pay £500k for him when on paper he's no better than fourth choice this season. 

It would be beyond bizarre, when we have a tawdry budget and are dangerously lacking at GK and CF, to invest 500k in a 20 yr old CB (who is also only seen as a fringe player for now it seems), whilst quite well stocked with CBs.

I can only assume we have a CB leaving, or a sudden addition of at least 3 million to the transfer budget (Raya isn't moving til the summer and the funds will be drip fed). Given the situation in India still seems iffy, the latter seems very unlikely. Though I admit there's always the third possibility - we just don't know what we're doing.

How come once again under this lot we can find 6 figure sums for positions that aren't a priority yet for strikers we only spend pocket change or sign free transfers

Just to answer my own question!! It's because league success isn't the priority for this lot and never has been, levelling up young easily affordable players and selling them for profit(that our transfer kitty never sees) is the priority.

You'd almost think that we were still really being run by/for player agents as they are the only ones that genuinely profit from this club.

We've become nothing more than a 'feeder club' with next to zero(or at least completely unrealistic) league ambitions

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

VenkyWorld logic all over.

Would rather throw £20 million down the toilet every season treading water in the second division but making a mighty £1 million or so back in ‘player profits’ than actually even thinking about how to reach the PL and its untold riches.

You're right, but in their world it's probably cheaper and easier (for them) to stay as we are. What promotion to the Premier League would result in for them:

1) Increased spotlight and global attention towards the Club.

Let's put aside the potential for anything being discovered or revisited for a moment.

Despite the views of those who think Rovers are smaller than the likes of Plymouth, Bolton etc, Rovers being back in the Premier League would be a story in itself. Former Premier League champions back after 15 (for example) years.

"How come they have been away for so long?"

"How did they get relegated last time?"

"Are those chicken people still there?"

"Will we still get the full Darwen End?".

Promotion means Rovers aren't the forgotten club anymore. Some may laugh, but Rovers being a part of the FPL game again would be a big deal too in attracting eyeballs, new fans and admirers. It has millions of players around the world. New audience, more attention.

Aside from that, there would be global attention on the club all of a sudden, simply by virtue of being in the big League again. Obviously, not as much as the big boys get, but a heck of a lot more than at present.

Look at Sheff Utd and Luton. Nobody on the outside gives them a second thought when they are in the Championship. Now, however, in the prem, there are plenty of fans/journalists etc interested in what they are doing, who their players are, their tactics, their signings, their transfer spend, their approach to the season etc.

IMO, all of the above are things that this lot don't want. Why? Because the spotlight and attention would bring actual pressure and some form of expectation on them. Pressure to actually achieve something I.e to stay up, initially. When things are going wrong there would be some form of scrutiny, because that's what happens in the Premier League. Criticism via the press. Some accountability. Things that make the likes of Swag and Co sweat.

It's much easier to stay low key in the Championship and push the "woe is us, oh that blasted FFP, if only there was no FFP, the owners are devastated they can't spend, they really want to, oh if only, oh those parachute payments too, oh it's so sad" narrative that is constantly peddled out.

2) Increased spend on transfers and wages

If Rovers went up we would have to spend significantly in order to stay up. Certainly, our transfer and wage budgets would have to increase significantly compared to what they are now. It's true at any level, but especially in the Premier League, if you want quality, you have to pay for it. Spending £15m on a striker for example, is seen as small fry in the Premier League today. It would be a massive fee for us and these owners, especially when considering the past decade.

Imagine going from Ennis, Telalovic, Hirst, to spending £8m/£10m/£15m on better players in the Prem, under these owners. No, me neither. I don't believe this lot have the desire or appetite to spend what would be required in the Premier League.

(£10m on O'Brien? Ha.)

Therefore, here we are with another 'project'. A money saving sham, IMO, Spend buttons on players, play the kids and hope to develop and sell a few every now and then. Who is the next big sale after Adam Wharton?

At the heart of this sham project, IMO, is the ploy of using the Academy as it's centrepiece. The bastards advising them know that most of the fans will back the Academy lads and won't get on their backs as much. No pressure. No expectation. Not a surprise we often see:

"Young lads, get behind them, what do you expect, you're spoilt, you're entitled, we've got no money" arguments amongst the fans, whilst the club goes backwards.

It's a development project by design, by the wish of the owners. This charade cannot be carried out in the Premier League, where results are all that matters.

3) Increased fan expectation

They have spent 13 years trying to lower fan expectation, lowering the standards every year, coming up with sob stories and showing zero ambition.

Promotion would put an end to all of that. The fans would have hope again and would be keen to see what we do with the huge financial rewards for going up. Increased fan pressure and expectation. Questions being asked. The very things that this hierarchy dreads.

Much easier to have fans believe that this is: a) our 'natural' level, b) that we need to be wary of relegation, and c) that the dreams of our generous owners, who wanted to be kind to us, have been crushed again for another year. This time by the Indian Government.

Yeah, right.

• Like 3

Been a while.

I'm as pissed off as anyone at the moment but taking a step back... Rovers have to be taking chances on players like O'Riordan whilst they can get them. They certainly won't have deep enough pockets to afford him in a few years. Reminds me of a potential John Stones type. 

What we do about a forward is a real head scratcher, the exerienced types we want we probably can't afford and also block the pathways for the others we have.  Taking a low risk punt on someone like JCH for a few 100k could be a worthwhile gamble but who knows? Good forward are few and far between and cost good money.

It's glaring obvious we need experience, I think we have it in the likes of JRC, Hyam, Hedges and Gally but have been very unlucky with those injuries. I think we'd have comfortably been 10 points better off with those options. That said, I'm certainly not making excuses for the recent results. The Huddersfield one is a sackable result that I would certainly have been after Mowbrays head for so it's only fair I say the same of our current manager... Difference is I've actually seen an identity with JDT and hasn't had the luxury of spending 5 mill on forwards either but I totally understand anyone wanting his head. 

When JRC is fit, alongside Tronstad I think centre midfield would look pretty decent. I've always believed there are certain centre halves capable of playing in that holding midfield role that can offer extra protection and physicality. I think Carter played there for Portsmouth a few times, perhaps JDT see's him or O'Riordan in there as an option. I think Hill could do a decent job there aswell. 

Although we have little funds, January is certainly not an opportunity to squander. Hopefully we beat Hull and go into January with some optimism. 

Hope you're all well. Merry. Christmas and happy new year. 

Edited by Neal

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i think he relays to greg and kimberley what he wants then they "attempt" to find the player,they hav`nt done a good job and both of them should be shown the door

Personally I think Broughton is doing a fantastic job. Both he and JDT will go on to bigger and better things than this incarnation of Blackburn Rovers. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

How come once again under this lot we can find 6 figure sums for positions that aren't a priority yet for strikers we only spend pocket change or sign free transfers

Just to answer my own question!! It's because league success isn't the priority for this lot and never has been, levelling up young easily affordable players and selling them for profit(that our transfer kitty never sees) is the priority.

You'd almost think that we were still really being run by/for player agents as they are the only ones that genuinely profit from this club.

We've become nothing more than a 'feeder club' with next to zero(or at least completely unrealistic) league ambitions

They've pissed £200m+ up the wall - they're clearly not in it for the money.