BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

I have a strong feeling O’Riodan isn’t the answer to our defensive problems. His £500k release clause has been well documented and if he was rated by any other club they would have stepped in and trigged it ab lbs sigh led the player. The fact no one else is willing to pay makes me think he’s just a project. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Newcastle cant sign anyone due to being right on the line with FFP. So the Wharton link isnt right, certainly not now anyway.

It was before the end of last season.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant fathom what your argument even is now. How can Broughton muster up a transfer budget when it is down to the owners to give him one? Thats not down to him and his failings. 

You have heard of "wheeling and dealing" I.e. selling some players in order to bring other ones in? In an ideal world you'd offload your fringe players to raise funds not your best ones but that world is certainly not the one we currently inhabit.

I'm not saying it's Broughton's fault we have a negative transfer budget, it's obviously that of the owners, but unfortunately it's where we are at and we are going to have to rely on the skill and wherewithall of him and the recruitment team.

Based on his record to date, I ain't  holding my breath.

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

You have heard of "wheeling and dealing" I.e. selling some players in order to bring other ones in? In an ideal world you'd offload your fringe players to raise funds not your best ones but that world is certainly not the one we currently inhabit.

I'm not saying it's Broughton's fault we have a negative transfer budget, it's obviously that of the owners, but unfortunately it's where we are at and we are going to have to rely on the skill and wherewithall of him and the recruitment team.

Our fringe players are Markanday and u20 academy kids.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yankfan said:

I have a strong feeling O’Riodan isn’t the answer to our defensive problems. His £500k release clause has been well documented and if he was rated by any other club they would have stepped in and trigged it ab lbs sigh led the player. The fact no one else is willing to pay makes me think he’s just a project. 

By the same logic Ash Phillips isn't all that to be bothered by as there's no indication any other club wanted to pay 2m for what some believe will be a generational talent? 

3 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Our fringe players are Markanday and u20 academy kids.  

I know. That's why I said we're not in an ideal world.

For me I'd be looking to keep Adam Wharton and Szmodics and everyone else would be fair game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yeah but Broughton can't sell a player unless the owners non negotiable valuation is met 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
35 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well,  "unfortunately" it would then be down to him unless you don't believe anything about the alleged intervention of the Indian authorities and subsequent restrictions.

All the more reason we should have appointed a proper DOF in the first place. That is something else you  can blame the owners for.

Doesn’t matter if we employed the best DOF on the planet anyway, if our budget is 3/5 of fuck all tbf.

P.S- not sure we ’wheel and deal’, more, we sell and the money goes to cover what we owe to the owners.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

They were still actively looking at him as of a month or so ago. I'm sure they can wangle it if they really wanted to via their Saudi feeder club income(!).

It wouldn't surprise me. I have it on good authority that they wanted him, "Rovers" (or someone at Rovers) wanted to cash in, and the lad dug his heels in. They wanted to sell him and Ash Phillips at the same time.

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Doesn’t matter if we employed the best DOF on the planet anyway, if our budget is 3/5 of fuck all tbf.

Well it would, otherwise lower League Clubs would never ever have periods where they thrive and enjoy any success or unearth any hidden gems.

Just now, booth said:

It wouldn't surprise me. I have it on good authority that they wanted him, "Rovers" (or someone at Rovers) wanted to cash in, and the lad dug his heels in. They wanted to sell him and Ash Phillips at the same time.

That sounds very far fetched. Why would he not want to go to Newcastle? I could see him being a bit wary about Palace but that would be as good a move as he could wish to make at this stage.

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We sold 5m worth of players in the summer and barely spent any. 

The owners are the ones that intervene when bigger offers come in too.

We barely have any fringe players due to season after season of minimal funding. And no one here has ever had full autonomy to spend even a reasonable chunk of fees received.

Even for you, blaming Broughton for our lack of budget is impressive.

• Like 3

If even senior players expecting to get plenty of minutes in a small squad to start with (Travis and Buckley) are sent out on loan just to save a few months of wages then there ain’t going to be much left ‘fringe’ players wise outside of 20 year olds.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even for you, blaming Broughton for our lack of budget is impressive.

You know very well I didn't. I said specifically the opposite. See above.

However, most Clubs outside the PL and parachute Clubs have to generate their own funding for transfers. We're now in the same boat at least until the alleged dispute with the Indian authorities is resolved.

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

If even senior players expecting to get plenty of minutes in a small squad to start with (Travis and Buckley) are sent out on loan just to save a few months of wages then there ain’t going to be much left ‘fringe’ players wise outside of 20 year olds.

Would we not be able to recall and sell them if a substantial offer came in for either? Bit stupid if not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You know very well I didn't. I said specifically the opposite. See above.

However, most Clubs outside the PL and parachute Clubs have to generate their own funding for transfers. We're now in the same boat at least until the alleged dispute with the Indian authorities is resolved.

We should do that but the owners are tbe ones that never allow any proceeds to be available! We made quite a bit in the summer and spent less than a fifth. We sold Armstrong and didnt spent the money. We sold Rhodes, Cairney, Gestede, nothing. They wouldnt even let us sell Brereton and Rothwell to do that. So again, who is to blame?

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Would we not be able to recall and sell them if a substantial offer came in for either? Bit stupid if not.

Maybe, but put Travis aside what other sellable fringe players (and he wasn’t really what I would refer to as ‘fringe’ anyway) do we have that aren’t kids?

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He (Friedman) was supposed to be on the radar of Man Ure after the Ratcliffe takeover/investment.

Apparently very well regarded within the game.

Canny lad is wee Dougie 

Wharton being pushed out the door this window is madness on any number of levels.

It’s a relative gamble to keep any player and develop them, as an innocuous challenge could hugely impact their career and value, as we saw with Dack.

But we have to gamble on that with Wharton, who is a starter and is performing well, contributing a lot and maturing with each performance. I can only see the value going up.

I think Premiership clubs keeping tabs on high-potential players is common and if Palace have made a move, there would usually be some encouragement on the player/agent front, so let’s see. If anyone in the club hierarchy is actively touting our prized asset, that individual should be hounded out of the club, unless it’s to set the market value, in some convoluted way.

The prospect of actually selling him seems especially nonsensical with the Indian courts mess still active and hopelessly unresolved. We can all see it a mile off: “you’ve sold an asset to the tune of your annual losses, why do you need to send money overseas for the sake of expenses?”

51 minutes ago, alex l said:

By the same logic Ash Phillips isn't all that to be bothered by as there's no indication any other club wanted to pay 2m for what some believe will be a generational talent? 

Fair, but something tells me the wages paid to Ash were not going to be matched by others…hard to believe that’s the case here.